Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain Test - easiest method ever!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:02 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Battery Drain Test - easiest method ever!

I read all the threads I could find on battery drain here, with the seemingly most thorough method being to disconnect the battery and run a VOM meter between the negative lead and the negative post on the battery in sync (while disconnected), and then start pulling fuses. This seemed a little tedious and I didn't have a good way to hold the leads to the battery terminal and the lead, so I thought I would use my "youtube mechanic certification" and look for videos of others doing it. I ran across the one below that provided the easiest way period, and there it was ... fuse #37 with a draw. All the other fuses read zero. I guess I never notices that the two "tabs" on top of the fuses were actually direct to the circuit. (I also beard envy after watching the dude in the video!)

This would also correspond to my intermittent rear spoiler that works sometimes at speed, and occasionally not. Same thing when using the switch. Now I have narrowed down where to start looking for the solution to both!

Here's the video:

Here's what I found:

Last edited by ThunderRolls; 08-08-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Update pic for error
The following 2 users liked this post by ThunderRolls:
964George (08-05-2019), heliolps2 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:14 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Amazing.
its one of those "Duh!" things.
I will use this today to find a draw or short that is keeping the interior lights (and frunk?) on.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Cool, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:02 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm gonna do this on my 964. Would like this problem stopped for good.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 PM
tct118
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, thanks for sharing! FYI I believe you might have your meter on the wrong setting. Yours looks like it's set to mA but the video says to have it on mV to see the voltage drop and then use the chart to figure out what the amp draw is.
The following users liked this post:
PAOLOP (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 AM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tct118
OP, thanks for sharing! FYI I believe you might have your meter on the wrong setting. Yours looks like it's set to mA but the video says to have it on mV to see the voltage drop and then use the chart to figure out what the amp draw is.
You are correct. I did, but this was the only circuit that had current. I got excited and snapped a pic. When I rewatched to see what it meant, I saw my mistake and redid it. It was 1.1 which corresponds to a 229 mA draw on a 15 fuse. I'm tracing it now, but think it is my spoiler control box
The following users liked this post:
PAOLOP (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Hi Guys, so I just wanted to let you know we have something to include along this line if perhaps you were just looking to monitor your drain as a whole and see what your normal parasitic draw is and have it be as easy as possible. It is a little module we call The Battery Tracker and it essentially provides you with you real time voltage via an app the device bluetooth pairs with on your cell phone. The real time voltage is also logged and saved over the course of 30 days so if the car has been sitting you can see how much draw has existed over time. With the voltage monitoring you can also have notifications sent to the app to let you in know if the battery is low and needs to be charged. In addition The Battery Tracker also has a cranking test and charging test to help make sure everything is working as it should. We make them for lead/acid batteries as well as lithium and you can check them out below. As always if you have any questions on this or any of our other great lithium products please let us know.
Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com

Last edited by Antigravity; 08-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 423 Likes on 275 Posts

How is it that everytime we are having a dialog on rennlist these days, it's interrupted by a vendor with a plug for their product? It's killing me. And if i see another post for snap gap, I'm going to puke.

Note to vendors- make your own threads. I realize you want to sell products, but it's just annoying to be sold at when we are talking.

As to this particular one- the antigravity systems battery tracker- i have it. I love it. I also installed it on the cab i just finished. And i recommend it to all the guys out here (though one of those guys was who Recomended it to me, so not to steal his fire) I'd like the history screen to function a little better, but great product.

I still hate having vendors jump into a conversation with an ad though.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:57 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Do you have to post an ad so big? I wouldn't mind you mentioning it and posting a link, but dang!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
Do you have to post an ad so big? I wouldn't mind you mentioning it and posting a link, but dang!
No we do not have to post and ad so big.... so we'll make them smaller in the future. Its actually our first complaint, but fully understand.

But I don't know if we can smalify the video. Totally understand the perspective, and not saying we are correct either, but since we think nobody knows about this type of product and we think it could be beneficial we post. But I will tell chad to make the images smaller. Don't know if we can smallify the video. But we'll look into that.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

VW put out a Technical Bulletin ages ago on this...

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Test - easiest method ever!