Sponsored by:

Noisy rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy rear spoiler

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me - since I've had my 90 C4 Cab I've noticed it has a noisy rear spoiler mechanism, certainly compared to other cars I've seen.

However, yesterday on taking the car out for a run it was making very bad screeching noises, but was still operating. I've checked the archives and Adrian's book but little mention of this other than graphite grease on the gear mechanism.

I'm wondering if the worm drive in the motor itself or on the spoiler is going - is there anything I can do to look at this or is it a straight replacement of the motor assembly.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Iain,
The gearing systm is all nylon. It will not screech that loud. You have metal to metal problems. I would as I recommend in my book lubricate the mechanism and with somebody else in the drivers seat, get them to operate the spoiler and see if you can isolate the noise.
The motor is working too hard under these circumstances and you may well burn it out so I would put some priority in finding the cause. A failed or snagged curtain can cause this if part of the curtain is caught up somewhere.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian,

Thanks for such a prompt and useful reply - lots of us do appreciate your wisdom! When you say lubricate the mechanism I presume you are talking about the exposed gears (one driven by the motor, the other the semi-circle that is one the wing itself)? Or is there anyway to lubricate the cable drive that I am missing?

One thing I had noticed is that the spoiler wall seems to be slightly deformed - I'll look in your book later and compare to see if it is out of sorts.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:37 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Iain,
If you can't isolate the noise, you can disconnect the sheathed drive cable and lube it up. To disconnect the cable you'll find a rubber boot at the end of the cable as it enters the motor. Slide that back onto the cable, then slide out a white plastic keeper (looks like a split collar) from the now exposed end at the motor. Then compress the fitting that locks in the end of the cable sheath, you can now remove the end of the square drive cable from the motor. You should be able to spin the cable with your thumb and finger and actuate the spoiler. Shoot some lube down the cable.

You can remove the cover ( 2 screws) over the gear and limit switches and lube that up. The tolerances aren't that tight on this spoiler mechanism. You'll see that if you look at all the pivot points and the linkages....just plastic bushings and pins. Be careful not to drop those 2 screws into the engine space.

If all else fails, this might be a perfect time to tell the wife that the "automatic supplemental engine air cooler actuator" is on the fritz and it would be a good move to upgrade it to a wide body turbo look, fixed wing configuration (wink,wink).

Let us know what you find.
Kevin
Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

hello,

the spoiler drive 'transmission' used on the 993s has the same 964 624 121 00 part number as the 964 cars, so rebuild and lubrication techniques should be the same. I recently did a fix on mine to get rid of the noise from the spoiler drive.

Here is the DIY from Robin Sun's site that I used for instructions on getting the spoiler drive apart.

Here is Bozo's thread of his repair.

This is a thread I added with some close-up photos. spoiler drive repairs

my spoiler is now basically inaudible from inside the car

max
Old 02-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timing is everything. On my spoiler, when I come to a stop, I hear a rumble from the back. The other day I had my daughter raise and lower the spoiler, and sure enough, it was a quick BAMBAMBAMBAM.

I'll check the repair threads and give it a go...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:47 PM
robert getz
5th Gear

Remove the cover and check the bolts that hold the geardrive in place. Mine were loose and caused similar problem.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:01 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Iain-

I also had a noisy spoiler system. I isolated the noise to the transmission that drives the gear that raises the spoiler. I also went to the DIY page for 993 cars and used the proceedure described and in about two hours I had it done and all you can hear is the motor when your outside the car. I can no longer hear any of the old metal on metal sounds! Incidentally, the gear drive transmission is, internally, all metal components... Just my $ .02...

Good Luck!

-CKKrause
Old 02-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad that this thread is happening as I think I've got a problem with my spoiler too! Driving to work this morning & when I pulled up at a set of traffic lights, I heard a "klack, klack, Klack" noise from the rear of the car. Noise did not change with revs etc so thining must be spoiler..

Anyways, when I got to work I tried to duplicate this without the desired effect. The "half moon"gear showed sign of recent wear & all I can think of is perhaps that the spoiler motor did not stop when the spoiler lowered itself.

Anyone else had this?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:57 AM
botoo
Instructor

Hi.. I have discovered that my noisy spoiler problem is in the motor itself. It sounds like a "coffee grinder". Nowhere can I find any information about the noise being in the spoiler motor itself. Is there any fix for this, as it seems to be sealed? I have thought about drilling a hole somewhere to grease it, however, maybe some feedback here first may be a better alternative.

If there is no fix, where can I buy a good motor? A new one is expensive, I presume.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

Quick Reply: Noisy rear spoiler