Sponsored by:

Any advice, Oil level issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Poskok
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice, Oil level issue

Did not find anywhere answer to my problem even tough there is couple of threads even on this forum.
In past 6 months i renew my 964 Cabrio, i change lot of small parts, exhaust, renew alternator, new motor of engine blower, new mirrors, new interior ...etc. Among that basically almost all rubber parts including all oil hoses , removed oil tank and oil cooler, cleaned everything, dripped every drop of oil from engine.... Reinstalled everything back, added 6,5 liters of oil (Castrol Edge Sport 10W60), run the engine for 10-15 sec.....added 3 liters more, wait till thermostat opens and both hoses to oil cooler get warm, added 1 liter more, when the blower of the oil cooler start to run i added 1,5 liter more which is total of 11,5 liters and according to every information what i could find it is maximum. Than i drove the car for 50 km (35 miles). Stopped and on oil level gauge did not move, and on dipstick there are only traces of oil.

Under car there is no drop of oil, i drive without under engine protection for now.

Warm engine shows pressure 2 on mimum RPM's, 4 on 1.750 RPM, 5 on 2.000 RPM. What should i do any ideas or advices.

Thanks on help.

Last edited by Poskok; 06-13-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: forget something
Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you are about a half to a full quart low. My car takes about 12 qts and the guage doesn't even register on the gauge until your pouring in the last 1/2 quart. The gauge range is only about 3/4" or less of a quart. I suggest you slowly and carefully top it off. Add a little, wait, add a little more, wait, etc. Just dont exceed a full quart. You should see it move. It is so easy to overfill.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need more oil, you drained the entire system rather than just a basic oil change.....get the motor hot like you did and slowly add more oil till the dip stick is proper.....must be on level ground and motor at an idle....
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

The dip stick is most accurate so find out how it correlates to the dash gauge; not the other way around. Your car will not fall apart being 1 quart short but will create all kinds of problems and mess being 1/2 quart over. People who do not understand dry sump motors usually overfill.

Just a touch to bottom of the dipstick when motor is warm is fine. This way it will be on bottom 1/3 of oil gauge when stinking hot when temp needle is at around 9 O'clock.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i agree with the other opinions stated that you are slightly low on oil

that having been said, much better to run these cars slightly low (half to 1 quart low) than high - running a little low doesn't hurt anything

i tend to run my cars so that the oil level needle barely moves off the bottom when the engine is hot and idling, i will suck out some oil if the level gauge rises above half way... that is where to be...
Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
The dip stick is most accurate so find out how it correlates to the dash gauge; not the other way around. Your car will not fall apart being 1 quart short but will create all kinds of problems and mess being 1/2 quart over. People who do not understand dry sump motors usually overfill.

Just a touch to bottom of the dipstick when motor is warm is fine. This way it will be on bottom 1/3 of oil gauge when stinking hot when temp needle is at around 9 O'clock.
^^ this.
The dipstick is the ONLY way to measure the oil level.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:06 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
you need more oil, you drained the entire system rather than just a basic oil change.....get the motor hot like you did and slowly add more oil till the dip stick is proper.....must be on level ground and motor at an idle....
More oil (?) - he's already added 11.5 litres. My Owner's Manual says capacity is 11.5 litres and 9 litres fneeded for an oil change. Difference between Min/Max marks on dipstick correspond to about 1.7 litres.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Poskok
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
More oil (?) - he's already added 11.5 litres. My Owner's Manual says capacity is 11.5 litres and 9 litres fneeded for an oil change. Difference between Min/Max marks on dipstick correspond to about 1.7 litres.

yea thats what i'm worried about, according the data that difference between min/max is 1,7 liters in my car easily swallows more than 12,5 liters? But i will try adding small amounts today. I will stop on 12 liters and inform.

Last edited by Poskok; 06-14-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-14-2019, 08:05 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

Duh I was wrong I assumed oil comes in quarts not liters but just looked the brand mentioned comes in liters
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i let the car state the oil level not the book.....get the motor up to operating temp....more than 45 minutes of easy running/driving....with the oil that you have in it now, you won't hurt anything....level ground, pass front fender warm to hot to the touch.....check the dip stick....that should tell you what needs to be done....if you are uncomfortable, bring it to someone that knows these cars....it a simple procedure that needs to be done !!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
i let the car state the oil level not the book.....get the motor up to operating temp....more than 45 minutes of easy running/driving....with the oil that you have in it now, you won't hurt anything....level ground, pass front fender warm to hot to the touch.....check the dip stick....that should tell you what needs to be done....if you are uncomfortable, bring it to someone that knows these cars....it a simple procedure that needs to be done !!!
The temperature of engine determines how much the oil have expanded.

8 O'clock - oil expands a bit
9-9:30 - oil is near max expansion

Allow for oil to have expansion room when oil temp is at 9 O'clock. My new to me 964 came with 3 quarts overfilled. Frickin' car was leaking like a sieve because previous owner and shop that serviced the car don't know dry sump motors. Now, not a drop on the ground.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The dipstick is not any more accurate than the dashboard gauge... When the 964 was originally produced the dipstick markings were spaced 110mm apart and covered a volume of 1.75L, while the distance between min and max on the gauge at 90C/194F measured a volume of 1.25L. Somewhere during production (MY91?, MY92?, MY93?), the distance between the min/max markings on the dip stick was shortened to 90mm so that it would correspond to the dashboard gauge.

You'll drive yourself insane trying to get an exact level in a dry sump system, especially as the measurement will only be accurate at 90C/194F. It is much safer and easier to just stop adding any additional oil once you see any movement on the gauge or a legitimate reading at and/or above the minimum mark on the dipstick.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Poskok
Did not find anywhere answer to my problem even tough there is couple of threads even on this forum.
In past 6 months i renew my 964 Cabrio, i change lot of small parts, exhaust, renew alternator, new motor of engine blower, new mirrors, new interior ...etc. Among that basically almost all rubber parts including all oil hoses , removed oil tank and oil cooler, cleaned everything, dripped every drop of oil from engine.... Reinstalled everything back, added 6,5 liters of oil (Castrol Edge Sport 10W60), run the engine for 10-15 sec.....added 3 liters more, wait till thermostat opens and both hoses to oil cooler get warm, added 1 liter more, when the blower of the oil cooler start to run i added 1,5 liter more which is total of 11,5 liters and according to every information what i could find it is maximum. Than i drove the car for 50 km (35 miles). Stopped and on oil level gauge did not move, and on dipstick there are only traces of oil.

Under car there is no drop of oil, i drive without under engine protection for now.

Warm engine shows pressure 2 on mimum RPM's, 4 on 1.750 RPM, 5 on 2.000 RPM. What should i do any ideas or advices.

Thanks on help.

What You describes above adds up to 12 litres. Not 11,5 litres! Make sure the engine is stinking hot when you check the oil and check it on the dip stick
Engine running and flat surface!

I never do that, i trust my oil level gauge but if I recomend that I'm out of here! 😁

Quick Reply: Any advice, Oil level issue