Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:19 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Track day pics

First time at RA in the 964 and it was good

re71r are great tires

I had to park me diamond blue c2 next to this slate grey c2. Two uncommon colors. Yeah the slate grey is pretty hawt

Not sure if this captures the moment but these cars looked like taildragger warplanes waiting to fight

Last edited by nowata; 06-29-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Looks like you had fun.

Rare to see a 964 at the track anymore I thought I was one of the few remaining. Years ago they were everywhere. Today it is mostly boxsters, cayman's, GT4's, GT3'S and GT3RS's at our events and times have dropped to some crazy low lap times.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like a blast. Any idea who owns the white 964? I’d love to know what splitter that is, and where they got their RSR spoiler from.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking great! I agree, rare to see 964 at any events other than cars & coffee lately. There’s a sea of mid engine cars that come out.

How did the re71r hold up for you? Mine started melting rubber after just some “parade” laps on a cool day. I figured they wouldn’t last more than a two weekends of real track time. They’re the fastest autocross tire outside of slicks, but I can only get a little more than a season out of them - about 2 total hours of asking for 100% grip.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool!
I tracked my 964 for a bit and really enjoyed it (my avatar is the time I got a bit over confident and spun out...no wall!).

Are you in the Atlanta area? So rare to see other 964s...the last time I went to the track there was a 993 brethren!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:04 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

That was Road America in WI

I will find out on the splitter and wing

we were both happy with the re71 tires

I did a day at Blackhawk a few hundred road miles and a day and a half at road america

I’m taking the car out in a bit and I’ll look at the tire condition again

There were 6 964’s that I saw and maybe a couple more

definitely not the fastest cars on the track but it’s all relative

more rewarding to fend off a cayman s in a 964 than a gt3 in a gt4

maybe not

i had an m3 that would hang with gt3’s but it felt pretty sterile and I rarely looked back at it

never took a photo of it
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
How did the re71r hold up for you? Mine started melting rubber after just some “parade” laps on a cool day. I figured they wouldn’t last more than a two weekends of real track time. They’re the fastest autocross tire outside of slicks, but I can only get a little more than a season out of them - about 2 total hours of asking for 100% grip.
Melting? Maybe you were picking up clag? Here is how mine looked after last weekend. I was surprised there was that much still on them even after driving home.

These have done three DE weekends, an autocross, and a couple thousand miles of curvy driving. They still had some good stick to them, though they were starting to go off.

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Melting? Maybe you were picking up clag? Here is how mine looked after last weekend. I was surprised there was that much still on them even after driving home.

These have done three DE weekends, an autocross, and a couple thousand miles of curvy driving. They still had some good stick to them, though they were starting to go off.
Ive done a lot of track days but won’t profess to be particular sensitive to tires because I’ve changed cars so often

but these felt predictable

in fact the whole car was more neutral and predictable than I expected

it was my second time on a track with the car
Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Always great to see a few air-cooled cars on the track. Driving these cars demands all of your attention and skills. I can feel the adrenaline just thinking about it.

Great assessment by Nowata on the RE 71R’s. They’re predictable. You get real feedback from the tires, and you typically have a bit of a warning before the tires snap loose. Typically. I’ve been holding off on track tires for just this reason.

As for longevity, the RE 71R’s on my 993 lasted almost the whole season last year with 15 track days and a half dozen DE events. By late August I found myself wrestling with the car at a track event, with pronounced oversteering. Those were the front tires telling me they were finished. The outside tread was gone. Predictable.

I think Autocross is tougher on these tires than the DE events. The heat cycling is a killer, and the tires just don’t stick the same after ten Autocross events with eight to ten runs per event (100 runs). There’s plenty of tread left, but the tires are rock hard and don’t stick the same.

More track threads!
Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 AM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Looks like a blast. Any idea who owns the white 964? I’d love to know what splitter that is, and where they got their RSR spoiler from.
That’s me, but both came with the car when I bought it back in 07. I can sniff around though.

Cheers,
John
Old 06-06-2019, 11:31 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Great tire feedback (pun not intended...). Your wear is stunningly even. The outside of the center rib bevels down to the wear bars in no time for me with autocross runs. Good to know that track time doesn’t kill them as quickly.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:34 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by johnneurauter
That’s me, but both came with the car when I bought it back in 07. I can sniff around though.

Cheers,
John

That would be much appreciated. I'd like to go with the RSR spoiler at some point, but the cultwerks RS splitters definitely don't do much in the way of front downforce.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Great tire feedback (pun not intended...). Your wear is stunningly even. The outside of the center rib bevels down to the wear bars in no time for me with autocross runs. Good to know that track time doesn’t kill them as quickly.
Sounds like you need more camber. I run RE71Rs on my track 964 and they wear evenly; I'm running -2 in the rear and -3(ish) on the front.
Obligatory 964 track picture, me at COTA earlier this year. Poor quality photo of an aluminum print.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

I went back to my other tires and nearly spun my car last night

how quickly we are spoiled by r compound grip

i also noticed how much noisier the re71 were
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
That would be much appreciated. I'd like to go with the RSR spoiler at some point, but the cultwerks RS splitters definitely don't do much in the way of front downforce.
Unless you go with the RS bi-wing the larger front splitter won't balance the car out. I use the RS front splitters with the bi-wing and the car is balanced nicely. I don't see any additional need for more downforce although I have much more rubber up front.

Originally Posted by nowata
I went back to my other tires and nearly spun my car last night

how quickly we are spoiled by r compound grip

i also noticed how much noisier the re71 were
Try some MPS4S's for Daily tires you won't spin.

Still rebuilding the engine for more power but I believe this is at the Glen with my wife driving.

Quick Reply: Track day pics