Sponsored by:

Prices dropping on 964ss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
It has never made any sense that 964 cabs are cheaper than coupes. As is the case for virtually every collector car, 356 cabs are twice the price of coupes. Compare the Ferrari Daytona spyder to coupes. Or Ferrari 250 PF coupe to cabriolet. Or Ferrari 250 California Spyder to 250 TDF. Or Maserati Ghibli cab to coupe.

I know the explanation about 964s supposedly being different because they’re “performance cars” oriented toward the track, blah, blah, blah. Does anyone think that a Ferrari Daytona, 250 Cal Spyder or Maserati Ghibli is not a performance car?

The pricing will surely eventually reverse and open 964s will be worth more than coupes.
Just like any track-focused cars, the coupes will always hold a premium. It doesn't make them better, it's just the nature of the beast. Same goes for M3's. There is a HUGE difference in price between the 2. I see it this way, if you are a vert guy in the market, that is great news. Also, verts will continue to rise, same as coupes. If you buy smart, you're not going to lose. Congrats OP!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This is exactly what I’m discovering. For the past 6 weeks I have been heavily searching for a coupe with the thought that I would sell my Targa. What I found during my search is that what is being offered for sale seems to be primarily lipstick on a pig. The cars that look genuinely nice are out of my budget ($90k plus). Of course I’m also looking for a less common color which doesn’t help.

Make sure you do your due dilligence, especially with 964’s which were neglected for a long time before being rediscovered.
So true. It's hard to find a good one without a lot of deferred maintenance, after that it's hard to find one at a reasonable price. Fortunately the drive experience is worth putting money into!

Originally Posted by LPMM
Not everyone is interested in AX/DE/track days. As for leaks, a properly maintained and setup Cab can be void of these, it also does not rattle any more than a Coupe or Targa, and aesthetics is purely a personal preference. Different flavors for different tastes.

I don't think Cabs will ever catch up to Coupes but their value will continue to increase as Coupes become less and less affordable and fewer nice examples exchange hands. The funny thing is that if you look back a few years, C2 Coupes were the only game in town with aficionados thumbing their nose at C4s and considering Targas and Cabs an abomination. Then as C2 Coupes prices started to climb and good examples were hard to find, C4s all of a sudden became the new flavor of the month and people were quick to justify their thoughts and/or purchase with its prowess and superiority on track, nearly bulletproof AWD system, etc... As the gap between C2 and C4 Coupes started to narrow, the attention turned to Targas as being a great platform, more rare than Coupes, best of both worlds, timeless design, etc, etc... Bottom line is as a model starts to get popular, all of its derivatives benefit albeit at different price levels. C4 Coupes, C2/C2 Targas that were once considered the black sheep are now sought after, and it won't be long until folks realize that the Cabs are not such a terrible platform and start warming up to it. Until then, owning a 964 Cab is better than not owning a 964 at all, so get the platform you like and drive on!
+1.

Love the classic silhouette of my coupe, but am always impressed by the drive experience of my dad's cab. It's a seriously solid chassis and on the road drives as nice as my coupe.
If you're in the market for a 964 and are open to a cab (=;>) it's definitely a bargain compared to a coupe. Make mine black please....

Last edited by 911Jetta; 05-29-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 PM
omg516
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a cab from Tarek last year and couldn't be happier, especially for the price paid. Granted I live in California so the top is rarely up, but the chassis is also surprisingly tight for a 29 year old car. I have a 2017 c43 that has more rattles & squeaks than my 1990 cab.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by omg516
I bought a cab from Tarek last year and couldn't be happier, especially for the price paid. Granted I live in California so the top is rarely up, but the chassis is also surprisingly tight for a 29 year old car. I have a 2017 c43 that has more rattles & squeaks than my 1990 cab.
Another black cab in San Francisco, nice
Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

What's amusing to me is that at the local PCA autocrosses, the only other 964 to participate is also a Targa. With the newer chassis there are definitely cabs in attendance.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:37 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

I’ve never been a huge vert fan of any model. I like the roofline of a hardtopped coupe on all cars but IMO, it’s especially important on a 911. Part of the DNA.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by omg516
Yooooo..what up , didn't know you were on here man. Great to hear the cab is doing well, that one is the only cab i've gotten so far because it was a BAD *** AGGRESSIVE LOOKING cab, i was just watching its video again a few days ago

Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 PM
omg516
Intermediate

Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Walt
Instructor

Here is an article I posted on another board a few weeks back. Personally, of all the reasons I purchased my Porsche the last would be as an investment so I have little concern how prices trend.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27908/...market-cooling

Walt
Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Its not just 964’s; same goes for the SC, 3.2 and 993. You don’t see vintage Ferrari’s or Maserati’s at AX and DE events. The leaks, rattles and aesthetics of these cab models simply don’t have the equal appeal of the coupe. With respect to your prediction about “price reversal, we’re all entitled to an opinion 🙄

Sorry, but that’s just not true. You see plenty of 356 cabs, along with Alfa Spiders, Fiat 2000 cabs and many other open cars competing (with great success) in autocross, SCCA and vintage racing.

Remember, the 356 Speedster was created to be used in sports car racing. Before he bought the 550 Spyder in which he died, James Dean bought and raced a 356 Speedster. See: http://www.speedsters.com/jd-speedster.htm

See also:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-porsche-356a-4/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...dster-project/
Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It’s also worth noting that a F355 Coupe is priced considerably higher than its cab counterpart so this phenomenon is not limited to Porsche. Granted the production numbers may play a bigger role in the 355 values.

I’ll be honest, I do prefer cars that may be appreciating in value rather than the alternative. My personal reasoning, I am incredibly **** about having everything correct both mechanically and cosmetically which means I spend large sums of money making my car as perfect as possible (other than resprays etc). Spending large sums becomes far more pallatable, especially with my better half, when we know the car isn’t depreciating making it an even bigger money pit. Do I expect to come out ahead, not really but if I end up spending a few thousand a year on my hobby then it’s all good. It is a hobby after all and a way of keeping my sanity.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

First car I 'owned' was a hand-me-down from my pops. Big ole Oldsmobile convertible which was a blast to have in high school. Having a rag top Porsche is the best of both worlds imo. The more affordable price just makes it that much sweeter.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
... As the gap between C2 and C4 Coupes started to narrow, the attention turned to Targas as being a great platform, more rare than Coupes, best of both worlds, timeless design, etc, etc.!
I find it interesting that people have relatively recently started actually wanting Targas. When I bought my 964 20 years ago, Targas (964, 3.2 Carrera and SC) were the LEAST desirable of all 911s, viewed by most people as the WORSTof all worlds - not a real convertible, but with lots of leaks and squeaks unless you are truly maniacal about maintaining your Targa top (some people had two tops - one that they never folded up that was used for falls, winters and springs and another one for summer use that didn’t need to be water or wind proof). Their awkward styling was not viewed as a plus. There is a reason why 964 Targas are so rare and it is because no one wanted them at the time.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
I find it interesting that people have relatively recently started actually wanting Targas. When I bought my 964 20 years ago, Targas (964, 3.2 Carrera and SC) were the LEAST desirable of all 911s, viewed by most people as the WORSTof all worlds - not a real convertible, but with lots of leaks and squeaks unless you are truly maniacal about maintaining your Targa top (some people had two tops - one that they never folded up that was used for falls, winters and springs and another one for summer use that didn’t need to be water or wind proof). Their awkward styling was not viewed as a plus. There is a reason why 964 Targas are so rare and it is because no one wanted them at the time.
I grew up across the street from a surly German that both raced and owned a Porsche shop (Performance Unlimited in Portland, OR if anyone else remembers it). I idolized him, spent hours on end in his basement staring at photos and trophies and on days when he drove his racecar home from the shop and parked it on the street in front of his house I'd sit in the grass and stare at the car. I regularly rode my bike down to PIR, sneak in without paying, and take in every race I could. Anyway, I remember very clearly that surly German I looked up to telling me on more than one occasion that Tagras and Cabriolets were for the women, men drive cars with a roof because of the difference in body flex. That stuck with me for a very long time. 30+ years removed from living across the street from the surly German I know better and a Targa in the garage is better than two coupes in the bush.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts
Default 964s

Nothing like driving a 964 vert or a targa very relaxing. Someday I would like to drive a 356.

Last edited by 2swoosh; 05-29-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Prices dropping on 964ss?