Sponsored by:

Prices dropping on 964ss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:05 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices dropping on 964ss?

Was looking on ebay and am seeing several nice 964 convertibles with buy it nows in the $30s. Could this be a trend of dropping prices?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 228 Posts

Or further separation on values between verts and coupes?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Condition matters above all else. The rising prices of air cooled Porsches in general means that people are dusting off ****ty examples and trying to sell them to capitalize on the trend. So be cautious comparing random facebook listings to selling prices of good condition, well-sorted examples.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar74
Was looking on ebay and am seeing several nice 964 convertibles with buy it nows in the $30s. Could this be a trend of dropping prices?
Convertibles are very hard to sell and take forever, they are way less desired than coupes or targas, you may find a low mileage 40K mile C2 vert struggling to even break $40,000 while its sister in a coupe can fetch double depending on condition etc. 964 have skyrocketed in price and overtaken the 993 which was king..

Here you can see a pic taken in the wild of a 964 taking over the throne from the 993's as they bow to it & onlook in respect.

"The king is dead..long live the king"

The following users liked this post:
2000m2 (06-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Prices

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Convertibles are very hard to sell and take forever, they are way less desired than coupes or targas, you may find a low mileage 40K mile C2 vert struggling to even break $40,000 while its sister in a coupe can fetch double depending on condition etc. 964 have skyrocketed in price and overtaken the 993 which was king..

Here you can see a pic taken in the wild of a 964 taking over the throne from the 993's as they bow to it & onlook in respect.

"The king is dead..long live the king"

Dam im supposed to pick up a 91 convertible with 38500 miles tomorrow. Thought i got a good price at 38k. Not looking so good now.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
Condition matters above all else. The rising prices of air cooled Porsches in general means that people are dusting off ****ty examples and trying to sell them to capitalize on the trend. So be cautious comparing random facebook listings to selling prices of good condition, well-sorted examples.
This is exactly what I’m discovering. For the past 6 weeks I have been heavily searching for a coupe with the thought that I would sell my Targa. What I found during my search is that what is being offered for sale seems to be primarily lipstick on a pig. The cars that look genuinely nice are out of my budget ($90k plus). Of course I’m also looking for a less common color which doesn’t help.

Make sure you do your due dilligence, especially with 964’s which were neglected for a long time before being rediscovered.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:20 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Prices

I decided to buy the convertible and enjoy driving it until coupe prices drag up the convertiible prices. From what i have heard there were way less convertibles made in 1991.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:08 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I decided to buy the convertible and enjoy driving it until coupe prices drag up the convertiible prices. From what i have heard there were way less convertibles made in 1991.
Great choice. The primary reason to buy is to enjoy it, that’s really what these cars are all about. Post up some pictures and details when you get the chance!
HelpMeHelpU (07-04-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:00 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

I think the price you're buying it at is actually great. and you are saving tons of money over a coupe or a targa- Enjoy it in good health and don't even worry about value, the cars are made to be enjoyed, you only live once, money does nothing sitting in a bank collecting dust
HelpMeHelpU (07-04-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Preices

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great choice. The primary reason to buy is to enjoy it, that’s really what these cars are all about. Post up some pictures and details when you get the chance!
You are 100% correct. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Prrices.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
I think the price you're buying it at is actually great. and you are saving tons of money over a coupe or a targa- Enjoy it in good health and don't even worry about value, the cars are made to be enjoyed, you only live once, money does nothing sitting in a bank collecting dust
Thank you so much. I an now looking forward to owning this car. You are great guys. I think this forum will make ownership more enjoyable.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It has never made any sense that 964 cabs are cheaper than coupes. As is the case for virtually every collector car, 356 cabs are twice the price of coupes. Compare the Ferrari Daytona spyder to coupes. Or Ferrari 250 PF coupe to cabriolet. Or Ferrari 250 California Spyder to 250 TDF. Or Maserati Ghibli cab to coupe.

I know the explanation about 964s supposedly being different because they’re “performance cars” oriented toward the track, blah, blah, blah. Does anyone think that a Ferrari Daytona, 250 Cal Spyder or Maserati Ghibli is not a performance car?

The pricing will surely eventually reverse and open 964s will be worth more than coupes.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Prices

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Its not just 964’s; same goes for the SC, 3.2 and 993. You don’t see vintage Ferrari’s or Maserati’s at AX and DE events. The leaks, rattles and aesthetics of these cab models simply don’t have the equal appeal of the coupe. With respect to your prediction about “price reversal, we’re all entitled to an opinion 🙄
I also think the convertible prices should rise. One of the determining factors in classic cars is also rarity. I checked into it and it appears that there were 7000+ more coupes made than convertibles. Also, I think when the coupes get more out of reach for people the convertibles and Targas will become more in demand and the prices will be pulled up. Unless the bottom drops out on all of these cars. I didnt find the convertible to be full of rattles or leaks. I think the quality of Porsche manufacturing helps to eliminate these issues. I think that having a sports car means being able to drop the top on a sunny day and enjoy the ride. I find I get bored with hard top cars that are considered my toys. Its like trying to predict the winner of a footbal game. It is all blah, blah, blah until the game is over. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:52 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I decided to buy the convertible and enjoy driving it until coupe prices drag up the convertiible prices.
Pics or it didn't happen!

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Its not just 964’s; same goes for the SC, 3.2 and 993. You don’t see vintage Ferrari’s or Maserati’s at AX and DE events. The leaks, rattles and aesthetics of these cab models simply don’t have the equal appeal of the coupe. With respect to your prediction about “price reversal, we’re all entitled to an opinion ��
Not everyone is interested in AX/DE/track days. As for leaks, a properly maintained and setup Cab can be void of these, it also does not rattle any more than a Coupe or Targa, and aesthetics is purely a personal preference. Different flavors for different tastes.

I don't think Cabs will ever catch up to Coupes but their value will continue to increase as Coupes become less and less affordable and fewer nice examples exchange hands. The funny thing is that if you look back a few years, C2 Coupes were the only game in town with aficionados thumbing their nose at C4s and considering Targas and Cabs an abomination. Then as C2 Coupes prices started to climb and good examples were hard to find, C4s all of a sudden became the new flavor of the month and people were quick to justify their thoughts and/or purchase with its prowess and superiority on track, nearly bulletproof AWD system, etc... As the gap between C2 and C4 Coupes started to narrow, the attention turned to Targas as being a great platform, more rare than Coupes, best of both worlds, timeless design, etc, etc... Bottom line is as a model starts to get popular, all of its derivatives benefit albeit at different price levels. C4 Coupes, C2/C2 Targas that were once considered the black sheep are now sought after, and it won't be long until folks realize that the Cabs are not such a terrible platform and start warming up to it. Until then, owning a 964 Cab is better than not owning a 964 at all, so get the platform you like and drive on!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Who cares?

Seriously, who cares which cost more now and which will cost more later and which they produced more or less of? When looking for an investment, the LAST place I look is at cars, any car. Sure, some might and do increase in value but they still cost a substantial amount along the way in repairs, maintenance, storage and insurance. And let's not forget the delicate balance between driving to enjoy it but trying to keep the mileage down so that the value goes up.

IMHO when it comes to cars, buy what you want and enjoy it. Pretty sure I am the perfect example of this. I wanted, found and bought a C2 coupe Tiptronic, and I knowingly paid too much for it. NO ONE wants Tips. Coupes with Tips are extremely hard to find but no one wants them so the value is down. Not only did I knowingly pay too much, but I have since dumped a bunch more $$$ into it that I will probably never get back.

Totally don't care. This is the car I wanted and I love it every time I drive it. I look forward to spending more $$$ on it to make it exactly how I want it, regardless of resale or purists.

The "negative" for me though is that now that I have the car I truly want, I have pretty much lost all interest in all other Porsches. I never kick tires at the dealer and spend all my time at C&Cs looking at other 964s to get ideas for mine.

My $0.02
Nilo964 (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Prices dropping on 964ss?