Sponsored by:

Roll Cage Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Rtz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roll Cage Install

I recently bought a Safety Devices 6 point bolt in roll cage and was wondering if anyone had any experience installing these on a 964. Specifically, I’m looking for help on placement of the plate footings that get welded in. I understand that it’s best to have the footings welded to the frame then the rest of the cage bolts in. I also have a set of Recaro pole positions on the way and was wondering about clearance to allow the seats to slide back. Any thoughts would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I take it for granted your building a race car, so you really need to check your organizations rules, the bolt in SD cage doesn’t meet the many orgs regs without substantial mods.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Rtz
Advanced

Thanks, I’m actually not doing a race build. The cage is for body rigidity but mainly for safety during weekend canyon carving. I’m guessing I’ll need to do some measurements once the seats are in place, but was just wondering if there are any tips or thoughts.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a hot topic on a lot of forums with the majority of members saying not to cage a street car. For Example: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post4869709
Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbavalon
This is a hot topic on a lot of forums with the majority of members saying not to cage a street car. For Example: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post4869709
Wow that was an interesting read!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Full cage in a street car is a really bad idea. Use the rear roll bar section and call it a day.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 363 Posts

DAS Roll Bar May be a good solution.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

If you're going to start welding a cage in place why not strip the interior and seam weld the car to RS spec? It will make a significant improvement in rigidity without the safety concerns. I have a safety devices cage in my garage I have been trying to sell with little luck. I also have a full cage custom made welded to my track car. Although I occasionally drive the car a mile or so to my local shop I don't feel comfortable with my head exposed to the bar even though I have every square inch covered in padding. I have seen the results of people driving with full cages that got into accidents that they would have been far better off not having a cage. I would listen to these guys the safety devices cage is nice that you can bolt in the front section for DE's when using harnesses and remove it for street driving but I wouldn't install it permanently for street use.

Unlike the safety devices and most track cages the yellowbird and other cars like these with integral cages have them so closely tucked into place using smaller dia bars that are barely noticeable and become part of the structure. They have additional padding but don't come close to where your head might make contact. When I sat in cars with safety devices cages I found my helmet would constantly bang against the upper part of the roll bar that is why I opted for a custom cage but even then I wouldn't ever consider it in a street car.

FYI In some states and depending on insurance companies you may find it is difficult or impossible to get insurance with a roll bar or cage installed. If they ask for pictures it could become a problem.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Rtz
Advanced

Thanks so much for all the advice! I really appreciate how everyone is not just concerned about the mechanical & aesthetic aspect of these cars, but also looking out for the safety of our fellow members! I’m definitely going to reconsider installing the cage, and only use the rear portion if I do decide to install for street use.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts

I think the safest street system is the combination of a cage, harness, and seats with side head protection, it'll be a PIA of a ritual everytime you go for a ride though; squeeze in, set the harness, and a tight seat, lol

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Install