Sponsored by:

My new 964 joining modern GT cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Relooking at your mod list and since you did everything elephant and really went through the car...

Some additional mods of interest (some only add marginal gains)
  • steering rack brace
  • FD goldenrod and RS short shift
  • Function First trans insert (softest 55d)
  • RS/Wevo/Rennline motor mounts
  • 3 or 4 point front strut bar
Again, since you’re a modern GT owner, theses are all things sharpen the car and improve the platforms driving dynamics without making it harsh at all. Over time I did that list to my previous car, and did them again immediately with my current car. Car feels even more solid and precise.
Thanks.

I forgot to list that I have the RS mounts installed and Front strut bar. I guess when you do so many mods at once, you start forgetting.

I was not sure about the steering brace and SSK kit. I have the SSK kit in the garage but didn’t install it yet. After all the work that I have done combined with the weighted **** it shifts really nice. I like the clutch feel better than my 991.2 GT3 manual.

Didn’t know about the Function First trans bushing.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I hear you on the mods, nice list so far for sure and no rush to add more. Enjoy the car.

The steering rack brace offers a slightly more direct feel. The new Kevlar reinforced bushing are more solid and I like that the brace ties the rack to the frame.

Watch out for what lurks beneath regarding the forward rod shift cups. Both my 964s had cracked or crumbled cups. My new car shifted really well, but I still went ahead and had the SSK installed. Once you've driven with it, you immediately notice that the vague rubbery feeling in the stock set up is gone. Of course the cups were cracked. It still would have lasted a long time like this. I also like that the cup and ball is replaced with heim joints. The 1st to 2nd shift is so, so much better now and I like that (with the Golden Rod) everything is more mechanical and solid. Plus you can still keep your new shift ****. (Might require a shift tunnel modification depending on year).

I've also done the function first trans mount insert to two cars (that the family often rides in) and love it. This, with good motor mounts forms a really solid combo and there's no slop with heavy on/off throttle applications. Everything in back feels really locked down, especially important in a 911. I also like that the mount fills the voids in the OEM trams mount and ends up helping to support and protect it. I didn't get greedy and went with the softest one (60A, orange).

I love this platform, very strong and rigid, but in stock form Porsche tuned the suspension and shifting to be a soft car. I can only imagine what it's like to drive Spyerx's car!

Forward rod cup (75K car)

My previous car (150K)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 04-26-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

MD, I see you got NSX and now old 964....
it will get under your skin once you get some REAL suspension on it and drop 300 lbs.
I no longer drive RS's.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:53 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I hear you on the mods, nice list so far for sure and no rush to add more. Enjoy the car.

The steering rack brace offers a slightly more direct feel. The new Kevlar reinforced bushing are more solid and I like that the brace ties the rack to the frame.

Watch out for what lurks beneath regarding the forward rod shift cups. Both my 964s had cracked or crumbled cups. My new car shifted really well, but I still went ahead and had the SSK installed. Once you've driven with it, you immediately notice that the vague rubbery feeling in the stock set up is gone. Of course the cups were cracked. It still would have lasted a long time like this. I also like that the cup and ball is replaced with heim joints. The 1st to 2nd shift is so, so much better now and I like that (with the Golden Rod) everything is more mechanical and solid. Plus you can still keep your new shift ****. (Might require a shift tunnel modification depending on year).

I've also done the function first trans mount insert to two cars (that the family often rides in) and love it. This, with good motor mounts forms a really solid combo and there's no slop with heavy on/off throttle applications. Everything in back feels really locked down, especially important in a 911. I also like that the mount fills the voids in the OEM trams mount and ends up helping to support and protect it. I didn't get greedy and went with the softest one (60A, orange).

I love this platform, very strong and rigid, but in stock form Porsche tuned the suspension and shifting to be a soft car. I can only imagine what it's like to drive Spyerx's car!

Forward rod cup (75K car)

My previous car (150K)
Now you caused me to add another weekend project, lol.

Originally Posted by mooty
MD, I see you got NSX and now old 964....
it will get under your skin once you get some REAL suspension on it and drop 300 lbs.
I no longer drive RS's.
Mooty, you cost me to much money. I don’t know what is with me lately, my choices are becoming older and older. I just passed on the new speedster and my dealer is shocked. I drove my GT2RS straight to my warehouse and there it sits. Have been having a lot of fun with these 90s icons lately. The NSX was a car that I have been searching for a long time.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The shift bushings are a good idea regardless of mileage or age as already noted. They improve the feel of the shifting and if yours are no longer pliable it could save you a tow. I had mine changed at 71k miles and it turned out that the existing were still soft which makes them much harder to remove by the way. But it still improved the feel.

Don’t listen to mooty, he’s a huge instagator on these forums
Old 04-27-2019, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The shift bushings are a good idea regardless of mileage or age as already noted. They improve the feel of the shifting and if yours are no longer pliable it could save you a tow. I had mine changed at 71k miles and it turned out that the existing were still soft which makes them much harder to remove by the way. But it still improved the feel.

Don’t listen to mooty, he’s a huge instagator on these forums
LMAO

Originally Posted by fastmd
Now you caused me to add another weekend project, lol.

Mooty, you cost me to much money. I don’t know what is with me lately, my choices are becoming older and older. I just passed on the new speedster and my dealer is shocked. I drove my GT2RS straight to my warehouse and there it sits. Have been having a lot of fun with these 90s icons lately. The NSX was a car that I have been searching for a long time.
needs shox
you have to have turbo tie rods and RS upright, (without the upright you will not have right geometry when you lower the car)
removed at least one of the two mufflers
rothsport has the shifter you want.
FDmotosport has the golden rod and forward rod (put them on, cheap. the shifting is night and day)
ditch the rear seats, goto Appbiz.com get RS carpet kit for the removed rear seats (that's like 40#)
seats if you want to ditch heavy sofa. pole position is fine for street use and comfy
put a Steve Wong chip ($500 or less) makes big difference and can be reversed in 15 min. it's not a "tune" but an actual CHIP like the old days. (I am. saving you money here, but hey, you can make it into a 3.8L too)
if you really go nuts, re-gear it.... that's $, I don't really miss it.
guards LSD is a bonus

you will be driving it WOT all day long.
that is a different feeling than RS. RS we are at 40% throttle and calling lawyers to bail us out
this thing WOT, you are barely breaking the law...

try it.

I will ping spyerX. he bought one of my 964. then he fell off the half dome...
Old 04-27-2019, 03:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Don’t click link in my signature. It’s worse than mootys siren call

Quick Reply: My new 964 joining modern GT cars