Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 02:54 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
you were right at the last minute two bidders drove it to 262,259 as the final price. The winning bidder also owns a newer GT-3 RS and a Dakar. I'll miss her.
👀👀👀
Old 03-05-2024, 02:56 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Still catching up on this thread. I’m on page 27 still lol.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:17 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Still catching up on this thread. I’m on page 27 still lol.
Congrats on the acquisition! Assume you were the high bidder. The registry and this thread have quite a lot. Certainly a lot more than you can find elsewhere on the web. Porsche did their best to keep these cars under wraps. There are guys on here who know quite a bit so feel free to ask any questions and I’m sure it can be answered. Manny Alban did a one mile review with the exact car you purchased so if you haven’t seen it here it is. Not everything in it is absolutely 100% accurate, but it’s a good watch. The car at the time had a Moton suspension setup which has since been reverted back to the stock Bilstein sport suspension you would get in a RoW RS. You can tell how bouncy and stiff it was in the video. @cobalt who did a lot of work on the car said it is a lot better now.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:59 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Congrats on the acquisition! Assume you were the high bidder. The registry and this thread have quite a lot. Certainly a lot more than you can find elsewhere on the web. Porsche did their best to keep these cars under wraps. There are guys on here who know quite a bit so feel free to ask any questions and I’m sure it can be answered. Manny Alban did a one mile review with the exact car you purchased so if you haven’t seen it here it is. Not everything in it is absolutely 100% accurate, but it’s a good watch. The car at the time had a Moton suspension setup which has since been reverted back to the stock Bilstein sport suspension you would get in a RoW RS. You can tell how bouncy and stiff it was in the video. @cobalt who did a lot of work on the car said it is a lot better now.

https://youtu.be/eJBFZ9z5IGQ?feature=shared
Yes. And thank you, amazing thread and wealth for information here; saving pdf’s etc 😅. Bouncy is fine; the more uncomfortable but for my right reasons, the better. It’s all about the driving experience. Sure, I am looking into new AC System. It’s Miami after all 😅
Old 03-06-2024, 09:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Congrats. I had fun working on the car. I wish I had some more time to do everything I would have done if it were mine. The car was nothing like it is today when Manny did the 1 mile review. It was a bit confused and needed some things fixed to make it what it is. The car has a nice patina I tried to preserve and was clearly driven as it was intended to be. Pulls strong for a 964 N/A and can handle without bouncing sideways over bumps in turns now. Learn to master these and you can drive anything. I hear you have a few of my favorite modern Porsche's as well. You have a special piece of history there. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I did spend a fair amount of time with it and know the car quite well. I tend to bond with the cars I work on.

If you are going to do A/C you might consider electric as converting the car to full factory A/C will be difficult. I wouldn't bog that engine down with a standard system especially with that clutch you will find it will stall at lights as it isn't intended to have A/C. They make some simple systems these days that might work. I would also preserve the tags and signatures in the frunk. It shows how these cars came to the US and is the only one I have seen with the option sticker still applied as it left the factory.

Drive it in good health. Hope to see some pics once you have had a chance to drive it a bit.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:47 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Seen a few RoW RS’ with A/C. Like the Maritime Blue one that Merit Partners has. Wonder what had to be done and how it affects the car. I heard with the simplified wiring harness it does not like to accept A/C. Also wonder how would bog the car down like Anthony pointed out. The USA Cup has the standard wiring harness, but a smaller 36 AH battery like the RoW RS. Has the standard wiring harness to deal with the extra equipment that the car is required to have by the DOT (lighting, alarm, power windows, etc.). The RS Touring has a standard wiring harness as well to deal with the extra comfort equipment it has, but has a larger 72 AH battery.

https://www.meritpartners.com/1992-p...rera-rs-491491

Last edited by RapidGT; 03-07-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Seen a few RoW RS’ with A/C. Like the Maritime Blue one that Merit Partners has. Wonder what had to be done and how it affects the car. I heard with the simplified wiring harness it does not like to accept A/C. Also wonder how would bog the car down like Anthony pointed out. The USA Cup has the standard wiring harness, but a smaller 36 AH battery like the RoW RS. Has the standard wiring harness to deal with the extra equipment that the car is required to have by the DOT (lighting, alarm, power windows, etc.). The RS Touring has a standard wiring harness as well to deal with the extra comfort equipment it has, but has a larger 72 AH battery.

https://www.meritpartners.com/1992-p...rera-rs-491491
I believe we touched upon this before. I don't recall if I pulled the build sheet on this ^ or the other RS with A/C but it wasn't listed on the one I did. The unit is not standard to the 964's or the mounting brackets or hoses. I suspect some form of tune would be need to prevent stalling when coming to a stop since this was an issue with the A/C and LWF.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:21 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I believe we touched upon this before. I don't recall if I pulled the build sheet on this ^ or the other RS with A/C but it wasn't listed on the one I did. The unit is not standard to the 964's or the mounting brackets or hoses. I suspect some form of tune would be need to prevent stalling when coming to a stop since this was an issue with the A/C and LWF.
...IMO...it will not enhance the joy of driving RAW or the overall value of the car. My suggestion is to drive it in the cooler months. Save the hot days for your late model A/C equipped cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by kecho:
cobalt (03-07-2024), Ken D (03-07-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 08:30 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts
Smile ac

Originally Posted by kecho
...IMO...it will not enhance the joy of driving RAW or the overall value of the car. My suggestion is to drive it in the cooler months. Save the hot days for your late model A/C equipped cars.
Yup! the RVDE doubles when you're a little sweaty
Old 03-22-2024, 09:39 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Well i'm still here folks! no one picked me up yet at this time and not sure what happened to our highest bidder. PCARMARKET reached out to the 2nd highest bidder ($262) but unfortunately he already bought a car but still offered to buy the car but the offer is not something i would consider. Pcarmarket will re enlist her back for the auction in a week or two. I'll get another chance to enjoy her if the weather cooperates.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:17 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Well i'm still here folks! no one picked me up yet at this time and not sure what happened to our highest bidder. PCARMARKET reached out to the 2nd highest bidder ($262) but unfortunately he already bought a car but still offered to buy the car but the offer is not something i would consider. Pcarmarket will re enlist her back for the auction in a week or two. I'll get another chance to enjoy her if the weather cooperates.
@2swoosh any update on ​​​@GT3 ?
Old 03-25-2024, 10:14 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default Cup

Originally Posted by Ken D
@2swoosh any update on ​​​@GT3 ?
nada per my lister
Old 03-26-2024, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

What is wrong with people these days?
Old 03-26-2024, 09:52 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 601 Posts

LOL isn't the "new" owner on here as well and was just commenting on how he bought this? @GT3 ? was the name or something? Three weeks later and nothing? LOL, some people man.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:18 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

nada per my lister
Originally Posted by s65e90
LOL isn't the "new" owner on here as well and was just commenting on how he bought this? @GT3 ? was the name or something? Three weeks later and nothing? LOL, some people man.
Responsibility and commitment are values in short supply these days.

Time for @Rennlist Staff @rennlist admin to wield the ban hammer on @GT3
The following users liked this post:
s65e90 (03-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?