Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   3.6 Cases will be available for Pre-Order starting March 14th (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1132220-3-6-cases-will-be-available-for-pre-order-starting-march-14th.html)

Catorce 03-05-2019 11:33 AM

3.6 Cases will be available for Pre-Order starting March 14th

For those who have not been following the "I am making reproduction cases thread", which incidentally can be found here, my 3.6 cases will be available for preorder starting March 14th, but ONLY for those who filled out an interest card on my site, which can be found at the bottom of this page.

I haven't posted much in this forum because I am assuming that most of you with 964s already have running engines, but for those of you with rollers or even rare cars that you want to preserve the matching numbers motor on, there is now another option, my case!

All of the relevant information is either on my site or in the very lengthy thread I mentioned earlier.

There will only be 40 cases offered at $5000 each, after that pricing goes to retail levels.

Thanks for your interest!

onceover 03-05-2019 01:05 PM

I have no need for a case, but man, is this ever cool. Makes me feel quite inferior as a mechanical engineer. Great work!

jeff33702 03-05-2019 01:15 PM

Just because I like new things... I'd be tempted to sell my current engine (that needs a rebuild..and I plan 3.8+ anyway) and start with a new case. BUT, I'd feel like a fool if I did that in preparation and the product never came to fruition.

I'm curious to know what the next stage is, that will require this influx of money?..as in, what's the hold up? :) It seems if you've made a prototype, the next step would be to get that prototype to the running stage. It certainly seems like you've spent a ton of time and your own money on this - I'm sure it's not cheap, so I can appreciate the request for interested parties to put their money on the line. I want to see this happen so badly - I think a running example would really fuel the fire for people.

Catorce 03-05-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jeff33702 (Post 15681892)
Just because I like new things... I'd be tempted to sell my current engine (that needs a rebuild..and I plan 3.8+ anyway) and start with a new case. BUT, I'd feel like a fool if I did that in preparation and the product never came to fruition.

I'm curious to know what the next stage is, that will require this influx of money?..as in, what's the hold up? :) It seems if you've made a prototype, the next step would be to get that prototype to the running stage. It certainly seems like you've spent a ton of time and your own money on this - I'm sure it's not cheap, so I can appreciate the request for interested parties to put their money on the line. I want to see this happen so badly - I think a running example would really fuel the fire for people.

I am not sure if you read the thread or not, I am assuming you skimmed over the thing. Spend on the case project was $600,000. The first 40 cases are being sold at $5000 with a REFUNDABLE $1250 deposit to hold the slot. Prior to ANY case shipping, the prototype motor will be put in one of my cars and tested.

Most of the first 40 will be spoken for based upon the contact I have been having with customers prior to the release of the preorder link. So if you want to see one / touch one / hear one running prior to ordering, GREAT! Case #41 starts at $6995, and the fire is already fueled. If you want to get into the action at an introductory price, then that is what this preorder thing is for.

jeff33702 03-05-2019 03:44 PM

Seen too many great ideas and endeavors never make it to final fruition. It really seems like you're skipping a seemingly required step. I'm going to assume that you're wanting the commit from X# of people in order to proceed/fund the first manufacturing run. Just a little more information would go a long way. Maybe I missed it but if you said something like, "I'm gauging serious interest by accepting deposits...Next, I will build/test the prototype engine before sending the order to the factory for the 40 units."..that would be helpful. The way it reads to me is that the units might be manufactured, then you will test, then you will ship/charge for the final units. If that's the case (and if not, my apologies), I'd be hesitant to be in the first batch of technically untested prototypes.

Catorce 03-05-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jeff33702 (Post 15682335)
Seen too many great ideas and endeavors never make it to final fruition. It really seems like you're skipping a seemingly required step. I'm going to assume that you're wanting the commit from X# of people in order to proceed/fund the first manufacturing run. Just a little more information would go a long way. Maybe I missed it but if you said something like, "I'm gauging serious interest by accepting deposits...Next, I will build/test the prototype engine before sending the order to the factory for the 40 units."..that would be helpful. The way it reads to me is that the units might be manufactured, then you will test, then you will ship/charge for the final units. If that's the case (and if not, my apologies), I'd be hesitant to be in the first batch of technically untested prototypes.

I am wondering if you read anything I wrote. I already mentioned that before any of the 40 were delivered, we'd run and test one. Also, there is no factory. I am the factory, these are made at MY machine shop. Next, I don't need you to write my ad copy for me, I said what I said, and as this is a legitimate group buy thread by a Rennlist site sponsor in accordance with forum rules, you should not be thread crapping this post. All of the information you seek is on my website and the exhaustive thread posted up in the first post of this thread.

Most every serious Porsche engine builder in the country is preordering one, and the list of individuals is lengthy. The confidence in the product and my ability to deliver has rarely if ever arisen on this forum, except for now, when I am actually on the cusp of delivering the first cases.

Lastly, I am not going to bother trying to convince you of the merits of my case, because I will not be selling you one. Ever.

Thanks for looking.

Tarek307 03-05-2019 04:44 PM

I personally know Catorce (had the pleasure of selling his son a 40th anniversary 911) and he is an absolute gentleman and Porsche enthusiast to the core. He was committed to this project for several years working on perfecting these cases, congrats on getting it going and running, Best of luck with this endeavor.

jeff33702 03-05-2019 04:47 PM

Nice attitude. If reading comprehension is in question, it's not on this end. You just confirmed my concerns. "I already mentioned that before any of the 40 were delivered, we'd run and test one.". So you're going to build them all, then test one, then deliver? No thanks. You've put a lot of effort and certainly money into this. $600,000..and you're 1- going to test ONE engine? and 2- for some reason will not test an engine before getting pre-orders?

Too bad, I would have considered being a customer, just not the first batch customer - I don't make enough money for that. But now my feelings are hurt because you're never...ever...sell me one.

jeff33702 03-05-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tarek307 (Post 15682482)
I personally know Catorce (had the pleasure of selling his son a 40th anniversary 911) and he is an absolute gentleman and Porsche enthusiast to the core. He was committed to this project for several years working on perfecting these cases, congrats on getting it going and running, Best of luck with this endeavor.

Well he doesn't come off that way here. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, especially an enthusiast. I hope it works out, but when a potential customer has legitimate questions about what exactly is being purchased.. and you act like a child..you get what you get.

Foxman 03-05-2019 05:52 PM

Really cool to see someone doing this - and disappointing to see someone crapping all over it.

jeff33702 03-05-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Foxman (Post 15682657)
Really cool to see someone doing this - and disappointing to see someone crapping all over it.

Jeez. Certainly didn't think that wanting to know more about the process that could cost me $1250 would cause so much grief. I'm not afraid to confess that I'm barely in the Porsche project income bracket - I ask questions about where my money goes because I have a limited amount of it. I've been on a few forums over the years and when a vendor comes in with a cool product, they should be able to field a few questions without getting bent out of shape, IMO. Believe me or not - I'm on-board for this kind of product..a potential future customer (or not at this point) and any feedback I send is purely to give my view as a consumer and to hopefully help out. I stand by my assertion that most people would be much more forthcoming with deposits if there was a running example. With so much invested, I'd be dumb not to ask the question.

Best of luck, I'm out.

Catorce 03-05-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeff33702 (Post 15682495)
Nice attitude. If reading comprehension is in question, it's not on this end. You just confirmed my concerns. "I already mentioned that before any of the 40 were delivered, we'd run and test one.". So you're going to build them all, then test one, then deliver? No thanks. You've put a lot of effort and certainly money into this. $600,000..and you're 1- going to test ONE engine? and 2- for some reason will not test an engine before getting pre-orders?

Too bad, I would have considered being a customer, just not the first batch customer - I don't make enough money for that. But now my feelings are hurt because you're never...ever...sell me one.

O

For the benefit of anyone else reading this, I had made it abundantly clear in the thread that (and let me break it down for you):
1. We would finish the programming to ensure consistency and repeatability
2. We would create one, build it into a motor, and test it while the 40 buyers patiently waited and followed the progress of the build
3. After testing, we would take what we have learned and modify the program, if required, and make the final design changes
4. Finally, we would deliver the 40 cases.

I can see I had to give you the paint by numbers version of this, but I thought it was obvious from the posts that you didn't read.

And no, you won't get one. Promise!

This project, which I have subsidized fully with my own money will go to deserving folks who can appreciate that if you divide $600k by 40, you get a lot more than $5000.There are no 3.6 cases out there. That is a problem which I decided to fix.

Catorce 03-05-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tarek307 (Post 15682482)

Thanks Tarek! Keep in touch buddy hope all is well with you!

jeff33702 03-05-2019 06:29 PM

Fantastic. I had looked at the website you linked before I even posted and none of these details were there but thank you for the clarification. I do think it's pretty weird to get all worked up because someone has more sense than money and wanted to ask some questions on the public forum that you advertised on.

erikerik 03-05-2019 07:07 PM

Catorce- I just read your thread.. surprised I havent' seen it sooner. Amazing and admirable work done on your cases. Having just built a motor with Rothsport, I think I would have gone for an all new case if that were an option at the time. So I could just swap in a motor and keep my original. I pretty much have everything for a stock motor sitting in parts.

Also something you might think about now that you have a brand spanking new 5 Axis mill.... Is Performance heads to go along with the case? I know Ollies is backed up by about 3-4 months if you are wanting machine work done on you motor. This will solve all the headaches and delays.

Good luck with this.. If I am ever in need of another engine build... I'll be going this route.