Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing these cars, if, how often, w.r.t. windshield channel rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ll wash mine when I sell it. I don’t like it looking that shiney and sparkly. I just maintain it mechanically.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtronics

Quick detail spray are only intended for very light dust and fingerprints. Most professional detailers only use QD after a thorough wash to remove watermarks and light dust. It’s VERY easy to introduce scratches and swirls into your paint if you’re constantly wiping down a car with QD.

You should look at a waterless wash product. I know some really high end car detailers that amazing work and they always say that once a car is dirty, you should properly wash it before touching it with microfiber towels. You think you’re removing dirt but you’re actually rubbing it into the paint.

I’ve had many black cars which is obviously the hardest to maintain and even with proper washing techniques (foam, two bucket method, etc), you’re going to get swirls and scratches. Even with meticulous care, most cars will require a paint correction after time.

You should check out ceramic coatings like CeramicPro or CQuartz, they’re amazing and provide a layer of protection.

I always cringe when I see guys wiping down their dirty cars with microfibers or worse, California car dusters. They love their cars and think they’re doing the right thing but they’re trashing their paint. I’ve looked at a lot of cars that owners think the paint is great and it’s actually a nightmare.

If I can’t do a full wash on my cars, I just rinse them to hold me over until I can do a proper wash/ detail. Sites like AutoGeek have excellent forums that are a wealth of knowledge.

Shout to to Unique Car Care, if you’re in the Boston area there isn’t anyone better... uniquecarcare on IG
Thats the thing, the car doesn't get that dirty. If it does then I'll do a proper wash. Thanks for the tip though. I'll check out some waterless products instead of the quick detailer
Old 02-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Thats the thing, the car doesn't get that dirty. If it does then I'll do a proper wash. Thanks for the tip though. I'll check out some waterless products instead of the quick detailer
No problem! There’s been some interesting tips and techniques posted here that I will try. It’s a subjective topic as shown by the responses.

I’m planning to XPEL the entire front end of my car along with a ceramic coating. There was a video on ceramic coatings on the RL homepage earlier this week. I’ve had 3 cars (all black) in a row get the XPEL and ceramic coating combo. It makes the maintenance a lot easier. Also, I’m going to talk to my detail shop to see if they can get the XPEL film very close or even under the seal to help avoid rust.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

there are many different pressure washers and most ppl don't use them right.
that said, if you can avoid water, do so.

many say their car its swirl free. I know it's just semantics, but either their eyes aren't good or it's too dark to see swirls. it's really really hard to get to swirl free. but most ppl really don't need to get to that level;

Old 03-03-2019, 12:14 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Speaking of needing a wash...it snowed here today...

Name:  photo411.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  photo386.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  945.7 KB

Name:  photo54.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  photo824.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  1.01 MB

It was hard to capture in the pics just how much salt was on this thing...i hoses it down with salt away and then cleaned the car...but it's definitely going to need a good polish when spring comes...
Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a guy that washes our cars. The 964 gets a shower once a week, at 6 am, right before I drive to work where it sits under a sunshade all day in ambient temps of 85 to 100 degrees – I live in the desert.

My home is on the beach and the 964 sits indoors half underground floor, which is not sealed. There is LOADS of air flow. Hopefully Porsche’s galvanizing process holds out a few more years. Since my objective is to use the car as much as possible, there is no desire (anymore) to have a perfect looking car. I want a nice looking one that I enjoy driving – at this moment in my life.

The car has developed a rust bubble once, 8 years ago in the right rear fender, just above the tail light. The body shop took care of it for a few hundred back then.

Some rust developed on the frunk pan, which I dealt with. Every repair has received some POR15 to prevent issues again and I stand by that stuff. Just using it on some items here and there, I don’t know how good it is since I have not seen it fail (never tried on parts that receive mechanical wear though).

In two months the car will undergo a bit of cosmetic work, rubber seals have shrunk here and there. Stone chips all over and a few nicks in the bumpers. Hopefully no rust repair, but if any is found it will be dealt with. Then, on the road again for as many miles as possible.

So I’m not quite in Goughary’s leage, but the mindset is similar I think. And the Salt Away stuff has always worked well on my JetSkis and boats… so driving in salt, that would be what I would do too.

My guy was told by me to use the two bucket process, spray the car wet before washing, wash with MF wash mitt, rinse and use thick long haired MF towel to dry. Results are reasonable – but swirls are visible.

That said, our Volvo has ceramic coating and with the same process no swirls. My Cayman R, black, had ceramic coating and with the same process and tools also no swirl marks.

So when the 964 gets its new coat of paint, it gets ceramic coating right away. While it’s not as amazing as most of the advertisement try to make us believe, I do like the product very much… even more so now that pricing is dropping significantly.

Quick Reply: Washing these cars, if, how often, w.r.t. windshield channel rust