Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of Production 964 Coupe's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

My '94 has R in the VIN and Engine numbers. No 718 Option Code. It also says "Invoice Date 1 9/14/93" and "Invoice Date 2 8/20/93" with a New Vehicle Warranty Date of 5/31/1994.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM
gbutler
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
gbutler As I said I wasn't aware of the 718 code being used on ROW cars. Your car being from the Netherlands is what is confusing me. If it is a ROW car i'm assuming the Vin starts WPOZZZ? I figured I would check Adrian's book out although most of his numbers and info regarding this info is skewed. He states that all ROW P coded cars were manufactured from August 92 through July of 93. All R series cars were from August of 93 through December of 93 Except turbo and speedster which stayed in production until some point in 1994. There were US spec 1994 993's imported albeit a few I worked on one and almost purchased it.

I am wondering if this is another case of cars being double counted as many seemed to have been up until recently, if your car is truly 718 coded this would be interesting to figure out. Each time I finalize what I have learned to be true production numbers I keep finding that less were . As I said my turbo is a 94 R coded 718 with P code engine build date of May/93.

Mine is a ZZZ VIN car - originally German delivery but purchased not thru dealer network but directly from the factory. Car's COA states September 93 build with an invoice date of mid October 93, and yet it is a P VIN and P engine --- so clearly this car is an exception to Adrian's book which states 93 ROW production ended in July of 93
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by gbutler
Mine is a ZZZ VIN car - originally German delivery but purchased not thru dealer network but directly from the factory. Car's COA states September 93 build with an invoice date of mid October 93, and yet it is a P VIN and P engine --- so clearly this car is an exception to Adrian's book which states 93 ROW production ended in July of 93
There must have been a reason for the delay of the sale. I have looked at so many of these and this is the first like it to date. I am sure it isn't anything but the 964 was the last of the hand assembled 911's and sometimes these cars were pulled out of the production line and reworked to make sure they met all specs. The other option as I noted was it might have had special wishes options that held it up there.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
gbutler
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
There must have been a reason for the delay of the sale. I have looked at so many of these and this is the first like it to date. I am sure it isn't anything but the 964 was the last of the hand assembled 911's and sometimes these cars were pulled out of the production line and reworked to make sure they met all specs. The other option as I noted was it might have had special wishes options that held it up there.
It did not have special wishes options on the COA, and even if it was delivered and invoiced right at time of production, it would still be a September 93 build which I would have thought would have been an R code. The other thing I find interesting is the last 4 of my VIN are 3148 - and in Peter Morgan's original 911 book it list P series production for ROW C2's going up to last 4 digits of 3249. It would be interesting to see the build date of any of these VIN's from 3148 thru 3249 --- where they all September or later 93 builds? Anyway, one anomaly that I did hear concerning my car is that it was produced for someone who worked for the Porsche factory, so it was not sold thru the normal dealer network and in fact, the car was serviced for several years at the Porsche Zuffenhausen center.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by gbutler
It did not have special wishes options on the COA, and even if it was delivered and invoiced right at time of production, it would still be a September 93 build which I would have thought would have been an R code. The other thing I find interesting is the last 4 of my VIN are 3148 - and in Peter Morgan's original 911 book it list P series production for ROW C2's going up to last 4 digits of 3249. It would be interesting to see the build date of any of these VIN's from 3148 thru 3249 --- where they all September or later 93 builds? Anyway, one anomaly that I did hear concerning my car is that it was produced for someone who worked for the Porsche factory, so it was not sold thru the normal dealer network and in fact, the car was serviced for several years at the Porsche Zuffenhausen center.
This is a conundrum no doubt. It would make yours the last 93 built based on production numbers but sold as a 94. The build date is a bit odd but Porsche is very secretive about these years. I purchased an 80 928 in 85 during the grey market that was an anomaly that I am told did not exist it had a 5.0L engine but used the intake and fuel injection of the 4.5L. I wish I still had this car and no doubt it would be a unique example but it was crashed years ago by the person I sold it to. The PO was a Porsche executive and said it was a one of one and had the documents to show it which went with the car.

Quick Reply: End of Production 964 Coupe's