Sponsored by:

Repair panel for 964 Coupe rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 AM
ogm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair panel for 964 Coupe rear quarter panel

I have to do a repair to the right rear quarter panel on my 1990 C4. There has been done a bad repair job by a previous owner which now has to be adressed.
After googling for a month i am not able to find repair panels for the rear wing/quarter panel for 964. I only find original complete rear wing/quarter panel from Porsche (not a nice-price part...)
My question is: can i use/modify a 65-89 repair panel?

Last edited by ogm; 01-03-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:44 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have an answer to your question, but why not remove and grind away all that bad repair stuff to expose what needs to be done and maybe graft a much smaller area instead?
I think if it was me I would want to see what I am dealing with before pulling the trigger on cutting that much of the car out... maybe for no reason?
Good luck with the repair!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:26 AM
ogm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Rob.
I dont have the capabilities to do this job myself. My local bodyshop told me to get original sheet metal parts instead of them trying to make body parts from scratch.
They will only cut and remove as little as possible of the original body parts, and replace with a new part.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ogm
Hi there Rob.
I dont have the capabilities to do this job myself. My local bodyshop told me to get original sheet metal parts instead of them trying to make body parts from scratch.
They will only cut and remove as little as possible of the original body parts, and replace with a new part.
I understand your position of not doing the work yourself, however a good body shop should have no problem fabricating a small area like that...
So is there another body shop near you that you can ask for a second opinion?
Unless your car is a daily driver I would want to see the carnage with all that rust / bubbled up paint removed first before making the final decision on how to repair it...
Again best of luck with the repair and keep us all posted!

Last edited by velocitylover; 01-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Agree, you may want to look for a body shop that is used to dealing with "classic" cars and are able to fabricate something. Either way this will be expensive.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

You might not have the skills to repair the damage but I’d bet you can run a sander why not find the extent of the damage your self. It is very satisfying to do as much as you can yourself just saying
Good Luck with your car

Quick Reply: Repair panel for 964 Coupe rear quarter panel