Sponsored by:

Tiptronic shift curves and memory

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
cjansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic shift curves and memory

I'm curious about how and when the tiptronic control unit selects the different shift curves and how long they are retained. I haven't had much luck finding this info in Adrian's book or other posts. According to some posts on the 993 board some suggest you need to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and go for a hard drive - I assume to tell the TCU you are now serious about driving. I'm sure this can't be right- once the roads are clear of ice I'm going to experiment but was interested in other experienced tip driver comments.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the manual gate 99% of the time. I find I can be in hte gear I want to be in that way.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 PM
LA964
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, use the gate. The "smart" computer is lame. The only shift point computer does for you w/the manual gate is the 1st to 2nd shift just short of redline. Put it in auto when you're sitting in traffic. Otherwise drive the car and save your left knee!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:46 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Craig,
The Tip control unit contains similar adaptive memory circuitry to the DME. It remembers how you drive. The only way to reset or clear this memory is to use a Bosch Hammer or by disconnecting the battery. A Tip control unit re-adaption is done every time you reset the DME. The diagram of the adaption circuitry is in the book.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-06-2004, 04:53 PM
cjansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information guys. More curious than anything. The manual gate works for me.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my Tiptronic 91 C2 and if the previous owner drove it like a little old lady going to Sundy School (I think he did) should I disconnect the battery and let the car learn how I drive? I have been wondering if it is learning my driving habits and how long it will take to adjust.

I have noticed when the car hits second gear it almost feels as if there was two stages to the second gear? does that make sense? Kind of like it sort of shifts up or wants to but because it is in the gate mode it cant?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic shift curves and memory