Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Rare Color 964 for trade....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 242 Posts

My question with autoflex is 1) How much overspray is there, and how hard is it to remove and 2) what do autoflexed cars look like after you peel the autoflex off?
I've been turned off of doing a vinyl colorchange wrap by the fact that even the good ($4000+) wraps require hours and hours of removal time and come with no guarantee that they won't damage your paint.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:08 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by xgrudgex
Thanks for the input guys. I know I probably will have to sell everything and just wait for the right opportunity. I can't help but think that someone has one of these squirreled away that they don't drive because they look silly in it haha

Thanks, the car is currently on 18" Rufs and the Cups are ion the shelf!
Well, if you decide to part with the Speedlines, let me know.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:37 AM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

That autoflex is interesting, but I think I would be too afraid to do something like that. I know a slew of people who can wrap, but yes you are in the 4-5k range to do it right.

There is a set of the Rufs on BaT currently! 👍
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
That Autoflex looks interesting. I’m also debating a temporary color change on my Polar and that may be the way to go.
I think it is the best route for temporary color changes.

Originally Posted by spartansix
My question with autoflex is 1) How much overspray is there, and how hard is it to remove and 2) what do autoflexed cars look like after you peel the autoflex off?
I've been turned off of doing a vinyl colorchange wrap by the fact that even the good ($4000+) wraps require hours and hours of removal time and come with no guarantee that they won't damage your paint.
I will try to answer your questions, but I am no expert, just been researching the stuff a lot. 1) Unlike plasti dip, with Autoflex, you mask everything aside from emblems, fender reflectors, etc. You can still just peel it off those while the paint is fresh. You mask everything else just like painting a car. If you have overspray, it's the masker's fault. 2) The paint should be 100% the exact same way. There are a bunch of videos on it if you take a look on youtube. You need to build up the layers of paint. For instance, you use 10 layers of paint. 6 of the layers are used as a base or primer layer and 4 of the actual color. You would start with 2 gallon of clear paint and add tints (let's say gray for your 6 base coats) and then would tint the other in what ever color you want. You then only spray 2 coats of clear. One tack coat and one wet coat. After that you can sand, buff etc.

I think most horror stories you hear are because this is a DIY project, though they say the Autoflex should only be done by a pro. I have painted car panels, trunks, etc. in the past so I am definitely DIYing it. BUT, anytime you have a large project that is a DIY, people will short cut the process, get bad results, and then blast the product. I am sure you know this.

Regardless, I am going to do the color change in the spring. In the meantime, over the next few months, I will be ordering colors and tints to make the exact color I want. I will be shooting random objects for practice and also just to see how it peels, etc. Hope this helped some.

That autoflex is interesting, but I think I would be too afraid to do something like that. I know a slew of people who can wrap, but yes you are in the 4-5k range to do it right.

There is a set of the Rufs on BaT currently! ��
Yes, wrapping you are in the $4-5k range with is pretty expensive IMO. I could probably do it myself for a 1/3 of that, but every thread or review of someone taking it on either has bad results, or they want to kill themselves by the end. To have a professional shoot your car in Autoflex, I think it is around $2k ($500 DIY).

If you search autoflex on youtube, you will find a horror story of a Nissan Z. From my researching, I think that was just a badly done job all together. That painter should not be using Autoflex or probably any other paint.

Regardless, watch out for my journal in the coming months if you guys are interested in getting my real opinions.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

RUFs on BAT not a 964 fitment, I need yours.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 PM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
RUFs on BAT not a 964 fitment, I need yours.
Sent you a DM
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I am assuming you saw this one.

Japanese import but a gorgeous car. I am partial to Maritime.

https://roadscholars.com/current-off...911-carrera-2/
Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

OMG Maritime and Marine Blue interior, this is pretty much the pinnacle of the 964 world, low Miles, C2, manual. All the money but with this car you are only very (very) early, not wrong.

Plus you can raise at least 90k from your car and the 2 M5s........at least.

This one stops traffic.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:34 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

That’s the car I mentioned above, was told it was already sold (staying in NC) or would have let you know earlier. Lot of money (think only the hood has been resprayed) otherwise a top 1% car.

The interior blue is super, super dark blue and is very close to black. It’s in perfect condition and looks fantastic. Matritime looks very flat and light blue under the showroom lights, but pops outside.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 11-25-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:21 PM
xgrudgex
Instructor

I was just looking at that car on elfersport. That is an insanely beautiful car, but it's not worth 130k in my opinion.

I can bring over a tiptronic for half the price and convert the gearbox.
https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-2-1991-62797/
Old 11-25-2018, 05:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I was just looking at that car on elfersport. That is an insanely beautiful car, but it's not worth 130k in my opinion.

Being a 91 I would check engine number and history. You can close the gap quickly depending on the car. Might as well upgrade while you're in their .
Old 11-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Two!?
Tip car wins IMO with the black interior. Manual swap could follow.
Or dye the blue interior; both do away with original spec.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're that open to modding, wouldn't it be even cheaper to find a domestic redwhiteblack manual C2 and then respray it to the color of your choice?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
If you're that open to modding, wouldn't it be even cheaper to find a domestic redwhiteblack manual C2 and then respray it to the color of your choice?
I tend to agree, if a more permanent modification is acceptable I would just have your current car wrapped and call it good. It's a known entity and a dark shade of blue will look great with that red interior!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 PM
xgrudgex
Instructor

The only shade I would paint my car is polar silver. I love this car and the color combo. I wouldn't wrap it blue either, it would look like superman's car .

Quick Reply: Seeking Rare Color 964 for trade....