Catastrophic oil leak after storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Jerryilliniwek
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catastrophic oil leak after storage

Folks,
my 1990 964 had only drips. Then I stored it for several months and came out to garage to find a major pool of oil. This could be drygaskets. I plan to add oil and start it up and go from there. Has anyone had a similar experience? I’ve owned my 911 since 2012.
jerry
Old 10-29-2018, 01:03 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

wouldn't consider it catastrophic- could end up being oil lines, oil cooler, many things, even if you need an engine reseal its still not catastrophic. Fill it up with oil, let it idle make sure it holds oil and you have pressure and drive it straight to your mechanic.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:07 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Most likely the oil return tubes. Reach up under the exhaust and see if they are loose, you should not be able to move them. The seals get old/hard and when these cars sit oil slowly drains from the tank into the crankcase, fills it up and then drips out of the tube seals.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 AM
Jerryilliniwek
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound advice

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
wouldn't consider it catastrophic- could end up being oil lines, oil cooler, many things, even if you need an engine reseal its still not catastrophic. Fill it up with oil, let it idle make sure it holds oil and you have pressure and drive it straight to your mechanic.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Before spending a lot of money, I would clean the bottom of the car well, then take the car for a spirited drive. When you return home, jack up the car and inspect the bottom. Look for wet or shiny spots. That is the source of your leak. Many times, its a simple fix.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Kind of depends on what a major pool is. Are we talking "all the oil drained out of the motor" or a puddle from a drip that was allowed to sit and drip for a long time...12 liters is a big difference from a small puddle, which is different from oil on the ground, but doesn't splash when you step in it.

Any pics? Just be careful when you add the oil and start it up, that you are holding oil and pressure. If it's been sitting a long time, pull the dme relay and crank it over until the pressure comes up. Put the relay back and then start it.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

Is it possible that oil has leaked from the sump into the engine and the excess oil in engine is the cause? It seems unlikely but apparently it is common for our cars to overfill their engines this way. Best not to let them sit too long.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic oil leak after storage