Sponsored by:

Oil dripping out of intake...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Default Oil dripping out of intake...

f an a. I keep my oil below 1/4 of gauge and dipstick hot. Seems using on track on a high g roval counter clockwise i basically have a bit of wetness on the intake and is seeped out onto top engine tin and down of course. Maybe a teaspoon? Just enough to make a mess. Not dropping under car.

Ive seen people using a catch can. I have the space since i removed the ps pump. Should i?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Intake oil leak

there are a few threads on this where we talked about the oil breather lines and different types of catch cans. The best is a trap can that captures the oil in the bottom, but still allows the hose to breath.
i lot of the oil being pushed/pulled back in to the intake is due to the age/mileage on car. Where there is ring blow by adding pressure in the oil tank. This, linked with the one hose that is attached after the butterflies which acts as a vacuum pulls oil into the intake where it settles and then leaks out.
i have disconnected this hose and vented it to a catch can. I use to have a fair oil leak but after rebuilding engine it has gone away.
good luck
Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks for the pointers I found a few older threads on this. I'm going to pull the intake bits so I can see inside and see how nasty it is. W/ the engine out we cleaned it up very good, and it just had a normal amount in there. Car doesn't leak at all, and engine has less than 10k miles on a full top end, cams, and new rings (bottom was fine, less than 90k on car when motor rebuilt). Need to go look at receipts again I think the only thing they didn't do was split the case. Anyway, so I suspect blow by isn't an issue but I've not leaked the car down to verify.

Anyway, will clean it up and monitor and may try some of your suggestions.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Your car is way too clean if you can notice a teaspoon of oil that wasn't there previously...just sayin...

Old 10-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Your car is way too clean if you can notice a teaspoon of oil that wasn't there previously...just sayin...

I'll post a picture :-)

Old 10-29-2018, 12:22 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'll post a picture :-)

I'm all for more pictures, your IG has been lacking for the amount of content you should have since getting the car back.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
I'm all for more pictures, your IG has been lacking for the amount of content you should have since getting the car back.
Too much driving :-)
Old 10-29-2018, 05:22 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Too much driving :-)

Eh I guess you get a pass, that's a worthy excuse. Guess I'm just having withdraws because the weather has been so ****ty I haven't taken the car out too much as of late.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Eh I guess you get a pass, that's a worthy excuse. Guess I'm just having withdraws because the weather has been so ****ty I haven't taken the car out too much as of late.
You've now seen the "ONE" reason I put up with SoCal craziness!!! I lived in the Northeast for 5 years and as a car nut and CA native it was VERY painful.

Funny, reading my title again and it sounds like my intake is gushing oil. What I see is some minor spotting on the top of the fan housing and some slight weeping at the intake joint on the plenum. And, well, when you're hauling but and redlining the thing that fan moves a lot of air and pushed that little bit of seepage right down on the heads and you can smell a slight hint of that porsche perfume...

I'll post a picture later so you guys can laugh at me.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

You've now seen the "ONE" reason I put up with SoCal craziness!!! I lived in the Northeast for 5 years and as a car nut and CA native it was VERY painful.

Funny, reading my title again and it sounds like my intake is gushing oil. What I see is some minor spotting on the top of the fan housing and some slight weeping at the intake joint on the plenum. And, well, when you're hauling but and redlining the thing that fan moves a lot of air and pushed that little bit of seepage right down on the heads and you can smell a slight hint of that porsche perfume...

I'll post a picture later so you guys can laugh at me.

That's fair, part of me misses CA, and the rest of me doesn't. Especially that nasty 4+ hour round trip commute each day. On the plus side I have way more opportunity up here to play with my Tacoma during the off season of driving.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Goughary
Race Car

C4...no off season!

Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

C4...no off season!

Exactly
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

C4...no off season!

Honestly the thought has crossed my mind.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Not to hijack the thread- cuz I'm still waiting for the photo of the teaspoon of oil...

But you wouldn't regret it if you got a C4, threw a ski rack on it and pointed it to Sun Valley...
Best winter daily....in the world
Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack the thread- cuz I'm still waiting for the photo of the teaspoon of oil...

But you wouldn't regret it if you got a C4, threw a ski rack on it and pointed it to Sun Valley...
Best winter daily....in the world
We're full blown thread jack at this point (sorry Spyrex). I like the thought of that, but I've been researching 355's the last few days, and I feel like that's my next poor life choice if I'm honest. I don't want to give up the 964 for it though, because I love being able to pop into it and go to lunch a few times a week, or take it out on weekends to run errands where as the Ferrari would be terrible for any of those things. We'll see, I'm fairly ADD with cars, so I'm sure I'll be drooling over something new in a few months.

Quick Reply: Oil dripping out of intake...