Sponsored by:

speakers for rear deck in 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Yes should be able to be super careful removing the grills
it is earlier with the panels off if you have hifi since you’ll probably want to bypass the in door panel crossover.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:39 AM
Stephen Koch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
it is earlier with the panels off if you have hifi since you’ll probably want to bypass the in door panel crossover.
I need to replace my front speakers as well. Can you explain what you mean when you say in door panel crossover? And why we'd want to bypass it. I think my soeaker wire has broken so I'll need to replace the wire too.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:25 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

This is incredibly helpful- my rear speakers (and likely the front ones too) have been blown out for a few years and I think my wife finally had it on our last road trip to Vermont! HA!
Will buy and install the speakers on Amazon... I'm assuming you have to take the door panel off to install speakers?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put JBL GTO6428 into my rear deck on my C2 in 2012. Fit fine and was able to use factory grills.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by dubjager
This is incredibly helpful- my rear speakers (and likely the front ones too) have been blown out for a few years and I think my wife finally had it on our last road trip to Vermont! HA!
Will buy and install the speakers on Amazon... I'm assuming you have to take the door panel off to install speakers?
No, they simply remove from the outside of the door. It does help to remove the door pocket though as it gives you more room to access the screws. Also a good time to address the door pocket crack that forms in all of these cars.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 AM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Koch
I need to replace my front speakers as well. Can you explain what you mean when you say in door panel crossover? And why we'd want to bypass it. I think my soeaker wire has broken so I'll need to replace the wire too.
Firstly, +1 for taking the door pocket off. It is quite simple to do, only 5 or 6 screws.
The problem in getting the door pocket off the door card is actually the crossover for the tweeter, which sits directly below the inner door handle behind the section of plastic boxing which breaks on most door pockets. Due to the lack of room you have to twist and pull "quite hard" on the door pocket to get it off. Once it is off you will see exactly what I mean. The space between the inner door pull and the crossover is very tight for the top part of the door pocket to fit between. It might even be easier to take the entire inner door pull off, but I went with the forceful route and did not end up damaging the door pocket ... luckily The same then goes for getting the door pocket back on, where some force is required. I know, not ideal with 30 year old plastics. I got lucky.

As for the crossover, I just left this alone. I left the standard tweeters in. My main speakers, essentially the woofer, also has an inbuilt tweeter and I assume the tweeters are now working somewhat in unison. I am no audiophile, so I could be totally wrong. The speaker simply connects with 2 spade connector and that is it. No real need to mess with the tweeters or the crossovers.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:26 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts

slightly off topic from the OP --> can someone please confirm if Polk Audio is one of the OEM options for the rear speakers? and has anyone fitted subwoofers to improve the low frequency/bass? Thanks in advance,
Old 03-01-2020, 02:41 PM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I recently picked up a set of these, I haven't installed them yet...

https://mbquart.com/fkb146/
If you don't mind the intrusion, did you finally fit these MB Quart FKB146 speakers? Would be interested to hear if they fit on stock speaker trays and grills.

Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
Vegas993 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

@mundo-kombi yes I did, they fit with the factory grills and the sound quality is greatly improved over the Blaupunkts I replaced, very happy with them.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
By 93 Porsche did away with the crossover. My 90 had it my 93 and 94 do not. I have the MB quarts fitted to my turbo. They look stockish but without upgrading the head unit sound no better than the stock speakers. The majority of the poor sounds comes from the head unit.

Funny when I click on this http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/p...g91164520.html Porsche even states the incorect numbers produced. They clearly stated in their classic catalog # 2 or 3 that the first 60 vin numbers weren't used and the numbers they have posted would be including the 60 of each model each MY both US and ROW. LOL
Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Just an update for anyone wanting another option. Installed Hertz DCX 460.3 4x6" speakers in the rear and they fit without issue, screwing into the factory locations. I replaced Infinity Reference which are also highly rated but mine were past their prime and in need of a refresh. Factory grill is slightly larger than the frame of the Hertz but I purchased some 1/8" foam stripping that should snug up the interface nicely. Sound is greatly improved over the old Infinity's and hope they go well with the Hertz 6.5" speakers I got for up front.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Just an update for anyone wanting another option. Installed Hertz DCX 460.3 4x6" speakers in the rear and they fit without issue, screwing into the factory locations. I replaced Infinity Reference which are also highly rated but mine were past their prime and in need of a refresh. Factory grill is slightly larger than the frame of the Hertz but I purchased some 1/8" foam stripping that should snug up the interface nicely. Sound is greatly improved over the old Infinity's and hope they go well with the Hertz 6.5" speakers I got for up front.
I tried the foam approach but I found it was still loose. If you end up with the same issue you can always purchase the 944 speaker frames that would allow most 4x6 speakers to drop in and utilize the factory covers.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:13 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

I used the factory frames and mounted the speaker underneath so it's sandwiched between the parcel shelf and the frame and allows the factory grill to fit as it should.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:15 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Super helpful guys, thanks!
Old 03-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I used the factory frames and mounted the speaker underneath so it's sandwiched between the parcel shelf and the frame and allows the factory grill to fit as it should.
That’s a good alternative, I attempted the same but unfortunately mine crumbled into a million pieces so I had to spend the extra $50 to buy the 944 frames

Quick Reply: speakers for rear deck in 964