Sponsored by:

Need Roll Cage & Seats... can't fit in car with helmet on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:53 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need Roll Cage & Seats... can't fit in car with helmet on

Help.... Done tons of research and I'm not 100% confident on the right setup. I'm done slouching in my car with my helmet and ready to swap out seats and install a roll bar. Currently have power sports seat which I love but need to be lower by about 3 to 4 inches. It's a tight fit without a helmet.

Here is question / challenge: I'm 6'3' 210 with broad shoulders:
  1. Need a seat to accommodate my size and allow me to wear a helmet without hitting my head on the roof(I have a sunroof) I'm assuming with with the right after market seat and frames I should be able to have no problem with clearance. Not looking to break the bank, something practical and comfortable. I'd like two options: a fixed seat, and the option of one that reclines. Foxman has been helpful with recommendations of Tillets and Cobra Nagro's. I've also seen the Recaro PP. It would be great to save some weight if I'm going to swap them out but not a deal killer if they aren't featherweights.
  2. The second item is a roll bar. There a plenty that fit in the car but with my size and the need to have the seat all the back I need a bar that is going to give me clearance as to not hit my head on it without a helmet or even with a helmet. I would prefer a bolt in one as I don't care to mess with tearing everything out to weld one in. Is there a bolt in one that cambers back a bit for more seat and head clearance?
Thanks for any help in advance. Also if you know anyone looking to sell any of these items I might be open to that too>
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

John mcm has a thread on here called seat solution for taller drivers (pretty sure that's it) he had the cobra classic seats which I'm pretty sure are only 7kg each.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Where in ca are you? You can try mine. I have pole positions all the way down. You can go lower with no sliders. Pole positions aren’t going to be right for you with harnesses tho you are too tall. But the profi xl is similar size and shoulder holes are taller.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:41 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
John mcm has a thread on here called seat solution for taller drivers (pretty sure that's it) he had the cobra classic seats which I'm pretty sure are only 7kg each.
Nice call. Man I looked and looked through many posts and didn't find this one. Thank you. Still need help on a roll bar
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Where in ca are you? You can try mine. I have pole positions all the way down. You can go lower with no sliders. Pole positions aren’t going to be right for you with harnesses tho you are too tall. But the profi xl is similar size and shoulder holes are taller.

Glendora.. Not too far..... been wanting to see your car too.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Joe,

The DAS roll bar has an offset that allows the seats (at least my Tilletts) to slide all the way back. I’m 6’4” with long legs, and the bar works perfectly. Check out my install thread here. DAS Roll Bar Installed
Old 10-21-2018, 12:40 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a das bar for sale.... Im in norcal
Old 10-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

I’m 6’3 and 185 and I’ve used two seats. First, I had Recaro SPGs. Fit in those without helmet hitting, though I didn’t like the narrow height shoulder holes and felt the holes might be a hair too low.

Next I put in the Sparco Evo IIs I had in my old car. They fit my shoulders better but the new ones are wider than the old ones in the seat and I couldn’t get it as low as the Recaro, so I have to remove the seat padding to not hit my helmet and it still grazes occasionally. However, I installed sliders. More room could be had if fixed mount.

I’m debating going back to the Recaro for drivers seat. The Recaro also seemed to have higher bolsters on the side and held me a little better.

Unless all your height is in your legs, you won’t fit in PPs. The shoulder holes were at my shoulder blades when I sat in them.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I'm interested. Can you PM me details? I'm in SoCal. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
I would prefer a bolt in one as I don't care to mess with tearing everything out to weld one in. Is there a bolt in one that cambers back a bit for more seat and head clearance?
Even for a bolt-in the interior must be removed for the receiving plates to be welded in. There might be ones that through bolt to the floor and rear wheel well but that is mostly a glorified harness bar. Attaching to the floor isn't going to give much strength.

Best thing I can recommend is go to a PCA DE and ask to sit in people's 964s and 993s. Ask what their setup is. (Seat fitment on torsion bar cars could be slightly different because of the absence of a center tunnel).
Old 10-21-2018, 04:14 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
I'm interested. Can you PM me details? I'm in SoCal. Thanks.
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Even for a bolt-in the interior must be removed for the receiving plates to be welded in. There might be ones that through bolt to the floor and rear wheel well but that is mostly a glorified harness bar. Attaching to the floor isn't going to give much strength.

Best thing I can recommend is go to a PCA DE and ask to sit in people's 964s and 993s. Ask what their setup is. (Seat fitment on torsion bar cars could be slightly different because of the absence of a center tunnel).
The das one does not require any welding and you can keep the stock interior or go the RS rear seat delete. It mounts directly into the seatbelt mounting points in the tub. Foxman above documents the install in his 993.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:35 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k

Sounds good. Check your inbox when you get a chance.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Joe,

The DAS roll bar has an offset that allows the seats (at least my Tilletts) to slide all the way back. I’m 6’4” with long legs, and the bar works perfectly. Check out my install thread here. DAS Roll Bar Installed
Can you just give me your build sheet, since it sounds like you are doing everything I want to or have. Thanks again for the link
Old 10-22-2018, 12:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm 6' 4" with a 36" inseam. As Dean said, I fixed my helmet issues with a Cobra RSR seat where I had the mount customised to allow the seat to sit down inside the rails at the back. I'm so low in the car that I get a few laughs, but that's worth it not to bash my helmet against the sunroof. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-13.html
Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6' 5" here and I ran a great setup that worked really well with a helmet and I had plenty of room. I added the DAS sport roll bar and that's the combo to get.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-and-tips.html

I put the car back to stock'ish form so I have the seats and a single brey-krause floor mount if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Need Roll Cage & Seats... can't fit in car with helmet on