Sponsored by:

Bilstein vs Koni

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bilstein vs Koni

Ok, I have to ask, although I'm pretty sure I'll hear a Boeing vs Airbus, Ford vs Chevy-type discussion😁
Planning to upgrade my 964 Suspension. Bilstein's not available, Koni's are, at least I think.
Back "in the day" Koni's were a great, highly respected performance shock.
Is one markedly superior to the other? Ride quality, handling?
I don't track and I don't put a lot of miles on it. AND, I'm in no hurry to start the process..

Experience-based opinions please.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Bilstein! A good bilstein shock is the best single-invest in the whole suspension upgrade process at a 964. Did this on both of my 964er...
The better the bilstein shock, the better the ride quality. My "best" ride is the 964 RS clone with 1992 Cup Dampers (Bistein) an euro RS springs... The both suspension settings before were much harsher... on my convertible, it was nearly the same. Now, i have bilsteins (a little bit cheaper one in the H&R coil) and the ride quality improved compared to the previous suspension, but is not so good like it is in the RS clone.

Had Koni "gelb" in the 90th, and this damping would be wrong in a 964 in my opinion
Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boeing, Ford, Bilstein.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:21 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Originally Posted by Baltic964Cab
Boeing, Ford, Bilstein.
Funny😁😁
Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had bilstein, good for regular use.

swoped them for kw for more adjustable options.
better for v fast use.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 1998 2S and just recently had koni special active struts front and rear installed with H&R springs which lowered car to euro specs. The car looks so much nicer lowered. I find the ride to be firm but not to firm.Like you stated bilstein's were not available my understanding is they are building a new manufacturing plant and that is part of the shortage problem. If my information is not correct im sure a member will give us the real story of shortage problems. I ran Koni's on all my porsches in the early years when they were an orange -red color which the active struts have returned to same color instead of yellow. Anyway did i want to wait for who knows how long for Bilstein's or try Koni's again. I do not track my car and doubt i could tell which struts are better for a daily driver. Good luck in your purchase.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Originally Posted by George 993s
I have a 1998 2S and just recently had koni special active struts front and rear installed with H&R springs which lowered car to euro specs. The car looks so much nicer lowered. I find the ride to be firm but not to firm.Like you stated bilstein's were not available my understanding is they are building a new manufacturing plant and that is part of the shortage problem. If my information is not correct im sure a member will give us the real story of shortage problems. I ran Koni's on all my porsches in the early years when they were an orange -red color which the active struts have returned to same color instead of yellow. Anyway did i want to wait for who knows how long for Bilstein's or try Koni's again. I do not track my car and doubt i could tell which struts are better for a daily driver. Good luck in your purchase.
Good info, thanks!

Quick Reply: Bilstein vs Koni