First Post

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First Post

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking around these parts for quite some time soaking up the wonderful knowledge y'all offer. Figured it was time to stick my head out and say hello. My name is Teddy, I've got an account over on Pelican but never post either. I'm the proud (and lucky; more on that later) owner of a 1991 C4 Cab in Forest Green Metallic over Tan interior. My main motivation for finally registering is actually to offer a short album of pictures for your viewing pleasure. These were taken at last edit:SUNDAY's Cars & Coffee in Bridgehampton, NY which my friend and I were able to make it out to in the 964. I know there is a thread about it in the regional board but there doesn't seem to be much traffic over there and nobody has offered any follow up media so I figured it'd be worth it to combine purposes for some additional visibility. Apologies for the workaround, I'm a freeloading member at the moment so I've hosted them on an Imgur album which can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/4IvAFQJ
My car can be seen next to the ATS mystery machine in the final picture of the album. I had originally hoped to be able to embed the pics in a post, so they have been resized to 640x480. If anyone would like larger / untampered versions of anything (I blacked out all visible plates because internet) speak up and I'll shoot them your way.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning more from the amazing resources this place provides!
Cheers, T
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome Teddy!
Glad you spoke up, it’s much better when we hear from more owners and enthusiasts. Love the variety of cars at the event. Your car looks so classy, the little bit that I saw, stop teasing and show & tell us more.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome to 964 ownership. Can you tell us more about why you chose the 964? Will you be keeping your car as is or do you have any planned mods?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Hey guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome and apologies for the delayed response!

911 Jetta, my buddy and I knew the morning had some potential but we were not ready for the variety of awesome that showed up. There are what… 10 of those New Stratos or something? Craziness! I’d never even heard of the ATS we parked alongside. Also got to inspect that eggplant colored Singer, which was the first I’d seen in person. Say what you want about them buying up all the 964s yadda yadda - I hear that, but the attention to detail is remarkable. And frankly, of all the incredible Porsches there, that silver SC stole my heart. It was a true case of everything working in perfect harmony. Not the fastest, newest, rarest or frankly best in class at anything, but just “did it” for me. In general, the turnout of 911s dominated the car count - not anything I take issue with

Rocket Rob, I’d love to be able tell you about why I pulled the trigger on the one I did and my journey toward finding it, but the reality is that my car sort of chose me! Not that I hadn’t lusted for an air cooled 911 my entire life; I had, but as one might expect of a younger cat, my dreams didn’t exactly involve a Green on Tan convertible but rather a Red/Black 930 kind of thing lol! Anyway, here’s the story: I bought it 4 years ago in September 2014 from a friend who had purchased it in 1994 but never fallen for it. Short aside - I worked at a high end Indy in the past and am a fairly able-bodied Deutsche car mechanic. It sat year after year under a cover, until the warm season would come around, at which point he would hire me to perform the necessary revival measures to make it roadworthy, but without seeing any action. Summer came to a close, I had some bread saved up. I mustered up the courage to say “so when are you going to sell me this car?” and the rest is history! I paid under market at the time in honor of my service to the car. That was 4 years ago, and on the price bubble front, the reason I consider myself to be a really lucky air-cooled owner.

Being that it’s a true survivor (<22k miles!), I plan to leave the car stock. Keep it maintained with OEM parts and just enjoy. In my humble opinion these things are perfect as they are. The only two things I have done thus far are rotating the Tach and a Primary Bypass, which sounds killer. I also detached the automatic top mechanism - nothing but a liability as far as I’m concerned.

Anyway, here’s a link to some crappy garage pics I took in order to make this post, including proof of insane mileage. Enjoy!
-T
https://imgur.com/a/qXWFacm
Old 09-25-2018, 05:24 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

20,000+ miles! It's barely broken-in. That's special.

Yeah, you don't need to much to enjoy these cars, as they are quite enjoyable in stock form. Actually, it's quite easy to screw up a nice car so I'm glad you can easily resist the temptation.
That said, they are a little bit too quiet stock, so good choice going with a muffler delete.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
20,000+ miles! It's barely broken-in. That's special.

Yeah, you don't need to much to enjoy these cars, as they are quite enjoyable in stock form. Actually, it's quite easy to screw up a nice car so I'm glad you can easily resist the temptation.
That said, they are a little bit too quiet stock, so good choice going with a muffler delete.
A couple extra dBs go a long way when you gotta keep your eyes above the dash for a downshift.
Yeah it's an interesting tale, that's for sure. Barely broken in and I'm the 3rd owner. All I have to go on regarding the buyer is the dealer service stampbook. It came from the Midwest and from what I can piece together was a "company" car at first. Probably a client / lunch cruiser for a few top execs somewhere.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Found some older pics of the car that are actually better than any of the utter crap I've posted so far.
https://imgur.com/a/Ecav3uK
Old 09-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Great story.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Love the color combination

Great looking car!