Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend Bodyshop to repaint 964

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few schools of thought on bodywork/paint from a owners perspective. Unless your bodywork includes structural or rust repair or you want a specific type of paint (such as single coat) you may find that hitting some hot rod shows in your area and talking with the owners of cars who have the quality of paint you desire to be beneficial. Sure you can ship it, but I'm a big believer that if there is a possible localish shop to use, try them. And when the forums mention time, this project may last years at some shops due to backlog. Be prepared to wait.

All that aside, JohnK is an inspiration. I've painted one vehicle in my life and loved it, but his quality blows mine away by a country mile. 20 days a month may be exactly what your needs
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

So I'm confused, you're looking for a shop to do the work or you want to do it yourself?

I know of a couple options in SoCal (I'd recommend doing research on the recent happenings at Eposito before calling them) but they're all going to be 12-24mo and prices from 15-30k depending on the body work and prep it needs. There is such high demand and concentration of Porsches that while the quality is amazing I think its worth looking in other areas.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

If you have the capability, which it sounds like you do, take the car apart yourself, have the glass pulled and flatbed it to a good local shop. While it's there, you can go through everything and clean or replace what's needed. Then when the paint is complete you can put the puzzle back together with more detail than most body shops would put into it. Not to mention, it's fun and you will know your car very well. Everything you need to know is right here on Rennlist, pretty awesome.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:07 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
If you have the capability, which it sounds like you do, take the car apart yourself, have the glass pulled and flatbed it to a good local shop. While it's there, you can go through everything and clean or replace what's needed. Then when the paint is complete you can put the puzzle back together with more detail than most body shops would put into it. Not to mention, it's fun and you will know your car very well. Everything you need to know is right here on Rennlist, pretty awesome.
Exactly my plan.

Engine rebuild and painting I will consign. I am still thinking what goes first. I plan to tune it abit. Supercharging it cross my mind but not into it yet.

I will then refurbish or refinish the interior and seats.

The hardest one i am thinking about is how I can update the suspension. I plan to put CCB and ohlins on it but again, I dont know yet if I need to put modifications during the bodywork to ready for ohlins. It would be best if I could add it after all have been put into place then decide if it needs ohlins still. Im sure it does.

If I do it like this, I can save money and I know what and where everything is.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Exactly my plan. Engine rebuild and painting I will consign.
CAREFUL the bug might bite you 😂😂 I had similar plans ended up doing it all myself
Old 09-12-2018, 02:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnK964

CAREFUL the bug might bite you 😂😂 I had similar plans ended up doing it all myself
I know. But I think by doing it this way, It wont be as stressful. Besides more quality work. Thats also why I need the right people to do it. I need to speak with somebody about how and when to add the suspension upgrades then I think I figured it out already.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:41 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnK964

Honestly, if I can repaint it myself, I would do it. I just dont have the space.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
There are a few schools of thought on bodywork/paint from a owners perspective. Unless your bodywork includes structural or rust repair or you want a specific type of paint (such as single coat) you may find that hitting some hot rod shows in your area and talking with the owners of cars who have the quality of paint you desire to be beneficial. Sure you can ship it, but I'm a big believer that if there is a possible localish shop to use, try them. And when the forums mention time, this project may last years at some shops due to backlog. Be prepared to wait.

All that aside, JohnK is an inspiration. I've painted one vehicle in my life and loved it, but his quality blows mine away by a country mile. 20 days a month may be exactly what your needs
I am sure there are a lot of bodyshops that can do the whole body repaint of a porsche. In fact, I was in a local bodyshop month ago having my wifes BMW get a new bumper when I saw a stripped down 356 in the shop. I will go there today and speak with them and see if they would be interested but not all of them would do body work like increasing the flarings on a porsche. I plan to add more in the rear. i hope they can do it though. Its just 3 miles away from me.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Have any idea where to get or buy the whole floor carpet for a 964?
Nothing against appbiz, but Southbound (southboundtrimmers.com) is the way to go for OE quality and detail.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

The one other recommendation I would give, use a shop that specializes in custom/restoration work, not collision.

Collision shops have a hard time saying no to their regular clients and that usually translates into custom work going on the back burner.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

A&L: Palatine,IL
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Next is who can rebuild the engine in a like new condition and possibly up it to 3.8 or even 4.0. I can crate the engine and ship it.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

my shop is in tarpon springs florida.... we mainly do my own collection but i have taken on a few jobs to keep my staff busy inbetween restorations.
currently doing my 1955 speedster, 1959 356, 1969 911T and we just painted a customers 1970 RSR hotrod and a 1971 targa.

We can take cars from the dead and turn them into concours.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:10 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
my shop is in tarpon springs florida.... we mainly do my own collection but i have taken on a few jobs to keep my staff busy inbetween restorations.
currently doing my 1955 speedster, 1959 356, 1969 911T and we just painted a customers 1970 RSR hotrod and a 1971 targa.

We can take cars from the dead and turn them into concours.
Sent you a pm.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

In terms of restoration advise, I am all for people doing their own work. I commonly have cars come to me partially disassembled etc. Some people like to work on their cars as much as they can and also try to save labor money in the process. (like removing carpet and glue on the floor which is time consuming, although i have a special heating tool for removing it)
This can work for a customer who has the ability to transport a roller car enclosed. Typically within a few hundred mile radius from the shop as longer distances can become troublesome and finding a carrier to take it is one thing, but the liability of taking a fresh painted car with no motor that has to be "pushed" in a trailer is a concern for some on the return trip... Sometime best to leave it as a running car.

My reservation with recieving disassembled cars is the parts required for fitment during body work. Bumpers, trim, lights etc. These are important and sometimes missing. The interior, not so much.
My other reservation is also the issue of the paint becoming scratched by a customer when the interior and engine/mechanical, glass go back in the car etc...
Also, the engine is typically best installed by the builder and tested as it is too hard to trouble shoot if the car is located half way the across country... i would rather it installed and tested when ever possible, especially if it is a custom build.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 09-13-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommend Bodyshop to repaint 964