Top tier (with ethanol) vs ethanol free

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:35 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Top tier (with ethanol) vs ethanol free

In our area, all gas has ethanol (up to 10%) year round. I have access to Sunoco, Shell and Exxon (all Top Tier, 93 octane) which is what we use exclusively in our water cooled P-cars.

I also have access to ethanol-free 93 octane at one station about 30 mins from where I live. We don't drive that way frequently but I drive my 964 infrequently enough that I don't mind making a gas run to this place.

Which would you suggest running in your 964?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Buy from the busiest station.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve W recommends using Marine Sta Bil year around..I have done same for over 10 years
Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

How does Marine compare to Sta Bil 360 Perfomance?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:39 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use whatever is the freshest and cheapest, Costco. In ur case, I think no ethanol is better especially if u don’t drive it much.

shell gave me misfire once. I no longer buy the name brand thing. It’s just a bunch of bull.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

For the most part gas from the different brand names are indistinguishable and often come out of the same refinery. Gas is actually an incredibly homogeneous product. The big brands sometimes add color, shell is yellow, BP green, Exxon is red and some other additives.
I buy from a clean and busy station with lots of volume. Btw, don't buy while the delivery truck pumps gas into the underground tanks. It stirs up crud at the bottom of the tank that gets into your car.
Btw, if you have access to ethanol free gas, go for it whenever you can.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I buy Ethanol free fuel for my 964 as it does not get driven a lot. It is a bit more expensive, but the car seems to run much better on the Ethanol free fuel (it may just be my imagination justifying the cost). A mechanic I deal with will not use anything but Ethanol free fuel in his cars. You may want to check these web sites for locations that sell Ethanol free fuel in your area. I was pleased to find a location very near my home.
Pure-Gas.org and Buyrealgas.com both have lists of locations that sell Ethanol free fuel.

I've put Ethanol free fuel in my DD Boxster on occasion and it does make a noticeable difference in how the car runs, but for daily use I can't justify the extra cost. I figure when I'm burning up a tank of fuel a week the standard stuff with Ethanol doesn't have time to go bad.

Last edited by A8KED; 09-04-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
How does Marine compare to Sta Bil 360 Perfomance?
Ethanol is hygroscopic. I sse Marine Sta-Bil for the vapor prevention.

MYTH #3: “ALL STA-BIL PRODUCTS ARE THE SAME, JUST DIFFERENT COLORS.”

Nope. Each product is specially designed to address and prevent a unique set of problems.

STA-BIL Storage fuel stabilizer keeps fuel fresh for extended periods – up to 24 months.

STA-BIL 360° PERFORMANCE protects against ethanol-related damage and provides a boost in performance and mileage economy if used at every fill-up.

And our STA-BIL°360 MARINE fuel additive protects and helps engines that perform in the damaging, water-laden environment marine equipment faces every day.

Both STA-BIL 360° Formulas will keep fuel fresh up to 12 months and provide protection to the entire fuel system – above and below the fuel line. So in the end, it all depends on what you would like to focus on -prolonged longevity, power/fuel economy or condensation management.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...yths-debunked/

Quick Reply: Top tier (with ethanol) vs ethanol free