Sponsored by:

964 Glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 964 Glass

What is the status / quality of available replacement glass?

My 93 is ready for a new one. Really just pitted, but its time for Allstate to get their good hands off of my wallet, and on the bill for a windshield.

It seems they are readily available, but are they good?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I sourced factory glass from the dealer recently. Pilkington, I believe. No issues with the install, though use the best installer available. My installer has done glass on many vintage/specialty cars. He knew the glass would need to be shaved here and there, as the factory glass is 1 shape, though not all 964s are shaped identically.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Give THESE guys a try, they have a very good reputation.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I replaced the glass on my 993 2 years ago with Pilkington- made in Germany for Porsche. FWIW, many of my previous BMWs came from the factory with Pilkington as well.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for Pro Source Glass. Although they are in MA they had a windshield in their Sn Jose warehouse and my installer picked it up and installed it locally.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
raffsracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fitted all new glass to my 964. OEM from Porsche.
Make sure you use genuine rubbers, you will save yourself some heart ache. Might pay to check condition of rear trims whilst the rear side windows are out.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks Guys

Mass works good for me.

Good rubbers, are all too often overlooked!

Sorry, it was too good to pass up.

Alan
Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM
iandc4
2nd Gear

RallyeChris,' can you refer me to your installer?
I've replaced my windshield with all Porsche genuine parts but no luck for me.
I had it redone twice but still didn't fit right.
Now, I have the rust on the bottom corners.
I'm planning to have the rust repaired but fear the windshield install, again.
I'm seeing some posts about using the 993 windshield & seal on a 964 but don't have all the info yet.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Allstate is wearing out my patience too. They are working through Safelite for the replacement on my Targa and it has been nearly 3 weeks waiting for the glass to arrive from Europe. I'm starting to think they're dragging their feet due to cost, can anyone confirm how long it should take to get OE Porsche glass?

I'm also worried about the install after reading everyone's comments about rust. I downloaded the installation instructions but how on earth do I get the shop to actually use them? What a PITA it is to have this type of work done.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by iandc4
RallyeChris,' can you refer me to your installer?
I've replaced my windshield with all Porsche genuine parts but no luck for me.
I had it redone twice but still didn't fit right.
Now, I have the rust on the bottom corners.
I'm planning to have the rust repaired but fear the windshield install, again.
I'm seeing some posts about using the 993 windshield & seal on a 964 but don't have all the info yet.
Fontana's Auto Glass. The only outfit I would let touch the 964. I recommended them to another Rennlister (actually, my 964's previous owner) for the rear windshield on his Carrera. He was very pleased.

I would only use factory glass and rubber, and I suspect Fontana's may not install anything but factory bits.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Fontana's Auto Glass. The only outfit I would let touch the 964. I recommended them to another Rennlister (actually, my 964's previous owner) for the rear windshield on his Carrera. He was very pleased.

I would only use factory glass and rubber, and I suspect Fontana's may not install anything but factory bits.
It may be too late, I just had a word with Allstate about their inability to get their act together and they responded immediately after I let loose. They have me scheduled at Safelight in Murietta and the shop manager has agreed to let me watch the install. They ordered Pilkington Glass and the Molding from Porsche so it should have the right parts going in but I am worried about install. I have asked that they use touch up primer/paint for any scratches and the manager said they should be able to avoid scratches....we will see as I intend to look at it before they install the new molding.

I'll email him the installation procedure so the guys working on it can look at it in advance. I'll post back my results here, hopefully I can put this behind me.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 AM
iandc4
2nd Gear

Thanks RallyeChris! Google lead me to Fontana's in Dix Hills. I'll get in touch with them. Hopefully, it gets done right this time.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:07 PM
pantera43
Pro

Originally Posted by iandc4
Thanks RallyeChris! Google lead me to Fontana's in Dix Hills. I'll get in touch with them. Hopefully, it gets done right this time.
Rallyechris was kind enough to refer me to Fontana Glass after having 3 glass shops not get the rear window right. Joe the owner is unbelievably talented and knows these cars and is very much much more than a glass installer!!

Dan
Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Are you asking about 964 or 993 windshields. Factory used Sigla on the 964. Very pricey. You can get Pilkington for cheap but no OE markings.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:09 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Are you asking about 964 or 993 windshields. Factory used Sigla on the 964. Very pricey. You can get Pilkington for cheap but no OE markings.
Not discounting what you are saying as I agree wholeheartedly, but wasn't there a period of time mid '91 where the windscreen markings were a combo Pilkington - Sigla? I would use the factory glass they are about 2 grand if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: 964 Glass