Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger - now what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 06:55 PM
LA964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look...a year from now you won't miss the money, you'll love the car more than even and you'll probably be done w/ the girlfriend! Since that's the case, skip on holiday, get the huffer on the car and start breaking it in!

We'll be looking forward to reading a full report by mid-Feb.

Thanks for brining us all a lot of enjoyment w/your upgrade.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, the price came back from 9M - £5795 + vat. That's for the supercharger, keeping the heater blower and changing the throttle intake. So, just under £7K including VAT.

The catch is the brakes. They would usually fit turbo brakes but can't do that on 16" wheels. He suggests 993 front calipers - but says they haven't done that much so not sure how well they will fit. Turbo brakes - £1300 + vat, 993 fronts £1100 + vat - so basically another £1500-ish for brakes. Total cost is therefore just over £8K if I stuck with my 16" wheels - or I guess about £9K if I also bought 17" wheels + tyres.

The supercharger itself seems affordable if I decided to do it - but it seems like there wouldn't be any point without moving to 17" wheels and turbo brakes. And I'm not sure I really want to spend £9K!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:24 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave,

Whats the value of your car, 9K goes a long way towards the 993tt........

Kevin.

If it were my money I'd hold off for the tt.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:10 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave - why upgrade the brakes?

The car stops from high speed now doesn't it...

A supercharger only affects acceleration
Old 01-20-2004, 06:15 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I know - but I know when I spoke to the insurance company last year they told me that if I fitted a supercharger I would also have to upgrade brakes and suspension to cope. Suspension is fine - already got RUF kit fitted, but not sure about brakes. When I spoke to Colin last year, I thought he told me that the stock brakes were the same as a turbo of the same age - and hence wouldn't need upgrading?

I may need to talk to him again about this. At some point, I would like to go for big brakes, and bigger wheels. But I'm not convinced I would want to do it at the same time. But that means I would need a solution for now that keeps the insurace company happy.

To me it doesn't make much sense. My brakes are fitted to a 165mph car - the fact that I can get there a bit quicker doesn't change how quickly the brakes can stop me.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:35 AM
jrb964
Instructor

Dave - OUCH!!! The price really hurts. For your 964 and 9K you could almost get that 993TT. But that makes life too simple. And don't forget you still have the old girlfriend and her 944 Turbo, and of course the new one with her Clio. Would you be required to give the old girl friend a ride in you 993TT? And how would the new one react to "the ride"?

Oh, for the want of the single life and a 2CV!!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:48 AM
DaveK
Race Car

For your 964 and 9K you could almost get that 993TT
I wish! I reckon my 964 + £9K would leave me about £15K short of a 993TT - they seem to be in the £40K (and up) region.

My current feeling is that to go the supercharger route would be a mistake. It may be enough power to keep me happy - and I could afford to do it now - but it would also make switching to a 993TT unlikely for many years. Partly because I'd be £9K poorer and partly because I'd have spent even more on my car than I already have and couldn't justify selling it for a while.

I worked it out earlier - and I reckon realistically, I could have a 993TT at the end of next year. Ultimately, that's what I want - so I think my plan is probably to forget any major upgrades to my car for now and to start saving.

On the other hand - interest rates are very low at the moment so perhaps I should just get a loan and buy one now!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:26 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave

I presume you have had a comprehensive test drive in a 993TT? If not, you should do that before you make any further decisions of course. I just picked up a 320TD SE Compact recently (150bhp, 247lb/ft) and I do find it a little annoying that I can't modulate the power delivery very easily compared with a normally aspirated car. I guess I will get used to it? Great car though, and 54mpg....(yawn)

Your money, your decision. I think it is worth pointing out though that if you prefer the 993 look to the 964 look then you will always have that hankering no matter how much money you spend on your 964. If you really are after a 993 then I would say go for that. There's no point pretending otherwise.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:36 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Actually, I haven't driven a 993 TT and that probably is something I should do - although I'm not sure how many places will let me test drive a £45K car. Then again - haven't test driven a supercharged 964 either......

The "looks" thing is a bit complicated. When I bought my 964 I loved the look of 993s, but couldn't stretch to one at that time. As time goes on though, the 964 has grown on me a lot and I'm not sure I do prefer the 993 look anymore. There is "something" about the turbo which makes me want it. But one of the other factors is there is no getting away from the fact that this year, my car will be 15 years old - 993 turbos will be less than 10.

On the other hand - after fairly massive expense my car seems pretty well sorted. It is old, and I'm sure things will continue to fail on it (and some will be expensive) - but it seems to have reached the point where it is the exception rather than the rule.

I went to bed last night convinced I didn't want a super charger and did want a 993TT. I woke this morning and I'm not so sure now. Guess I need to continue thinking about it.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jrb964
Oh, for the want of the single life and a 2CV!!!!
I've got half of your wish list and, according to the Mrs, if I buy another car I'll get the other half!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:53 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Actually - I noticed for the first time the other day that you have TWO of them! I've never understood the appeal of one - why on earth have you got two??????
Old 01-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DaveK
Actually - I noticed for the first time the other day that you have TWO of them! I've never understood the appeal of one - why on earth have you got two??????
Two wives? Isn't that illegal?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:22 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Oh my god - I'm still checking the options for Supercharger and just phoned Jasmine for a price on 17" cups...... £950 + vat - WITHOUT tyres! Makes the total supercharger cost £10K if I went with wheel / turbo brakes option. Scary.

I need to talk to 9M and see whether I can stick with the stock brakes in the short term if I went the supercharger route. Much as I like the ideal of 17" cups and turbo brakes - if I did decide on the supercharger I would prefer to stagger the cost and not add £3K on top of the supercharger price.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:23 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Oh - and that price was for refurbed wheels, not new ones!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:27 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DaveK
The '90 car is has 10k miles, is in 'as new' condition and is in long term storage for when the '88 car dies! I use it for commute through central London rush hour stop start traffic.

Appeal is you can get the thrill of driving flat out around London within the speed limit, hit speed bumps as fast as you like (it will take off before bottoming out), great handling, full length sun roof, 40mpg, £100 insurance, £100 annual service, cheap road tax, easy parking, whatever you need to transport will always just fit in, no need to lock it, no need to worry about it, kids love it! More admiring glances than the RS!

Quick Reply: Super charger - now what do I do?