Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger - now what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:11 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super charger - now what do I do?

Hi,
Some of you will remember that last year, I was all set to go for a super charger - then found out at the last minute that I would lose the rear heater / blower and didn't want that for my daily driver so I cancelled it.

This morning I have a mail from 9M saying they were just tidying up their emails and came across my cancellation due to the heater / blower problem. And they felt they should mention that..... the last 964 they super charged had a full heater system. They kept the blower motor, fitted a custom mesh and a modified pipe to the original blow through point.

Over the last few months I've been very happy with the car. It seems to like the cold weather and seems quick enough. It's been very reliable over the last year and I had convinced myself that my money was better in the bank. And I recently gained a new girlfriend and those things seem to be fairly expensive to maintain themselves.

But now, I'm wondering...... I changed insurance companies last year to one that would allow me to fit the super charger. And I could have it and apparently not lose anything other than the cash...........

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now!
Old 01-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave

You know you want to really! Just go for it. Although I guess you have ask yourself how serious you are with the girlfriend...

Cheers
Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Christer
Race Car

I couldn't possibly comment without bias!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I've mailed Colin to check :

1) That I will lose absolutely nothing (other than money!)
2) An estimated total cost, since I didn't really get that before.

One other thing that plays a part..... my ex girlfriend had a 944 - and it was partly that I was impressed by that which made me buy a 964. Apparently, she bought a new car at the weekend - a 944 turbo. I need more speed than her!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:16 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DAve

as I said last time, have you tried disconnecting the rear fan and checking what the heating is like without it?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:18 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I did - and it's crap.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:41 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave - go for it!

It's not my money, so what else am I likely to say?

..and if you do lose the fan, you could always wear a coat.

...and I'd love to so the same conversion one day to a 964 too, so I'd be interested to hear about the results (and the costs)
Old 01-19-2004, 09:34 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Dave ,

If you don`t do something you risk getting blown off by your girlfriend. What kind of a man do you think she`ll think you are then?

Do it for the sake of your relationship.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Ah no - girlfriend has a Clio.

EX-girlfriend now has the 944 turbo. Which might be worse.

Still waiting for the price from Steve. Plus - I think I will need to discuss with the current girlfriend. Life was sooooo much simpler when I was single!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by tonytaylor
Dave ,

If you don`t do something you risk getting blown off by your girlfriend.
Sounds like that's a good reason TO do it
Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 AM
3.8 964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant offer you much other than this...

I met a guy with a supercharger on his 91 964 and he had everything operational (including heating) and was over the moon with the transformation. Course not many people will be honest when they do spend their money on these things and then arent happy....

If money is not an object to you, go for it. We need to live vicariously thru someone elses reality so please do it. Would be a great project I think.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DaveK
I think I will need to discuss with the current girlfriend. Life was sooooo much simpler when I was single!
What's to discuss? Is she paying for it? Are dating rules different in the UK? She's a girlfriend ... not a fiance or wife, right?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave,

If you decide to install the supercharger, do so with your eyes-wide-open. That is, with the expectation that it could (some might say will) lead to major engine work sooner than would otherwise be necessary.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
DaveK
Race Car

True - although my car had a top end rebuild 20K miles ago. Actually - come to think of it - it's 30K miles ago. I really do drive my car far too much!

I'm going to take a couple of weeks to think about it - in fact, I'm on holiday in Feb and probably won't decide anything until I get back.

The catch is, last year I really really wanted this but couldn't live with the lack of heater blower. But for the last few months I've actually been really happy with the car. It feels quick enough and it's been very reliable all year - and I kind of feel I should leave it alone for now.

I did speak to my girlfriend - and her opinion was if I really want it I should do it, but - she also knows I want a 993TT and she pointed out it's a chunk of money towards that. If I am completely honest - I don't think I do REALLY want the supercharger at the moment (although I suspect I would be glad I'd done it if I went ahead with it). But I do still REALLY want a 993TT. The difference being - I can afford the supercharger now, but I can't afford a 993TT, and probably won't be able to for at least a year, probably more. Makes the supercharger look like a "cheap" fix.

But I need to think about it for a while. I am sure I will reach a point again where I am sure my car is too slow and I need more power. Unfortunately, I seem to have got all sensible in the last month or so and wonder why I would want more. A couple of weeks ago, some jap thing went past me on a dual carriageway at about 120mph. I dropped it down a gear and then thought - "I really can't be bothered". I think I'm getting old!
Old 01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Sounds like that's a good reason TO do it

Quick Reply: Super charger - now what do I do?