Sponsored by:

ok, where do i start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default ok, where do i start...

i had the DZV belt break....and it started running rough...atypical for the problem, but i didn't know that, anyway it stopped out on the road, i let it sit for an hour and then made it the 2 kms to home and in looking for the problem discovered the broken belt...i thought, ah ha! there is the culprit, thought still wouldn't run with the one rotor removed...the atypical part...but i needed the dist rebuilt in any case...got that done and reinstalled and started 'er up, she runs well with much better power, i start out on my 2 week delayed trip to the paint shop and get about half as far...same problem- she runs fine until warming then seems starved for fuel...and i'm stuck now...ok, i know now for sure that the problem wasn't the dist, that belt could have been broken for some time and the other problem arose and i discovered this
so, i have a new fuel filter in, and am going through the car...so here is my Q, what parts can i change out ....i have another 964 here that is running fine and can trade parts to see what works... what parts should i trade to see...i will do the DME relay, have already done the piece in the pic, don't know what its called...and other possibilities? fuel pump? pressure sensors, valves(of what , don't know),
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

i have a unique situation here in that i can trade out parts and see what works without buying all these when i don't need to.....and as always, thanks in advance....
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I would say check the fuel pressure accumulator or sensor. Can't remember exactly what it's called, but it sits under the idle stabilizer valve (in your pic) and has a vacuum hose going to it.

My car was running very poorly when it was defective.

To test it I pulled the vacuum hose of and it leaked a little fuel out of it... which it isn't supposed to. Replace it with one from your other car and you an rule it out that way.

You can check fuel pressure as well. I would do that rather than just replace the pump. If you just replace the pump you may think all is fine, but something in your lines could be clogged as well.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is your check engine light on? Have you checked for DME fault codes? Does it always run ok when cold? If so, I would suspect that you may have a faulty cylinder head temp sensor.

But also check the basics. When was the last time you had a 15K service? When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

DME relay got nothing to do with this!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:43 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

ok, i have traded out the DME, not that... new fuel filter when this started, not that... and strangely, i think, haven't seen a check engine light, actually didn't know there is one here, and don't know how to check fault codes, just read something about slow/fast flashes are codes for fault #1114...? i have the air flow meter out and cleaned, must go get a new gasket at PZ mañana, got the how to clean the ISV/air flow meter from another thread here....getting to know some valuable info here....and as i tell the kids and was told myself oh so many years ago...learning by doing, in its purest form....
Old 08-16-2018, 05:45 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

yeah, and how do i check for DME fault codes, i know there is an OBD system and a diagnostic tool but don't have that...yet...
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

FPR is a good thing to check. Mine was bad and the car ran like crap when the tank was low. As mentioned, fuel would come out where the vacuum line attaches. Replaced it....all issues solved. Only 80k mi on the car at that time.

Quick Reply: ok, where do i start...