964 widebody purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 PM
UofM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 widebody purchase advice

Hi Fellas,

I’m fairly new to the 964 market but have always loved the wide body.. and whites my favorite. I’ve been looking for about a year now. Any advice you can give me on this car? I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...body-c-449.htm
Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM
SRM11
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do widebodies command that much of a premium? Looks like an amazing car but that seems like a high price considering the miles. Depending on service history/owners/etc I would think that's a 60-70k car (non widebody).

For $100k you could find a very low mile 993 that's going to give you the wide look

This white targa 993 is on BaT right now - If I had to guess it will sell for 70-85k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-targa-7/

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by SRM11
Do widebodies command that much of a premium? Looks like an amazing car but that seems like a high price considering the miles. Depending on service history/owners/etc I would think that's a 60-70k car (non widebody).
You're right about a narrow body pricing.... I'm not a widebody expert, but '94s are rare, narrow or wide so that's going to add to the cost over a "regular" 964. '94s are special to some, widebody makes it extra special. Porsche tax.
Have the bumpers and lower sills been repainted?

Speaking of wide, this one is red and has triple the miles, already at @ $45,500 and the real bidding hasn't started yet.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...a-4-wide-body/

Originally Posted by SRM11
For $100k you could find a very low mile 993 that's going to give you the wide look...
Not the same look or feeling you get in a 964. Plus you don't get wide front fenders in a 993. Sorry, it's a 964 forum...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:30 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

That targa is a narrowbody...

The 964 looks very clean. Looks to be mostly original too, only thing that stands out to me is the radio, but it's pretty typical that those get switched out over time.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM
SRM11
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
You're right about a narrow body pricing.... I'm not a widebody expert, but '94s are rare, narrow or wide so that's going to add to the cost over a "regular" 964. '94s are special to some, widebody makes it extra special. Porsche tax.
Have the bumpers and lower sills been repainted?

Not the same look or feeling you get in a 964. Plus you don't get wide front fenders in a 993. Sorry, it's a 964 forum...
Correct, if you truly want the 'unicorn' you will have to pay for it. It will command a premium. I honestly don't know if the premium is $20-40k over a NB. He mentioned he was new to the 964 market, so may not know all the options available. Cost vs value. If you are looking for strictly a 964 widebody coupe in white, that's very likely the only one for sale at this time. If you are simply looking for a nice, later model, aircooled 911 in white, you have many more options.

I prefer 964 overall to 993, but if it's the 'widebody' look that you want, there's great value in the 993 coupes.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Good morning,

Low production anything Porsche are sought after, and always will command a higher price.

Now that Porsche's are strong in the collector market the rarer the car the better the investment.

I find the beauty of the 964 wide-body is very few people know what it is.... you can park it anywhere and they just think its an older car.

I love the turbo cars, however the turbos are at the age where they need the turbos rebuilt and that now costs quite a bit.

Join the turbo look web site, its free and has very good information re anything wide bodies.

http://www.turbo-look.com/facts/964-carrera-4-coupe/

For your information they list total production of Grandprix white is 3.

If that is your colour do not delay!!!!!!!

My wide body colour was not my first choice but i just love the hips etc, i now love the colour, also who can be fussy when they are sooooooooooooooooooooo rear .

Happy buying
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a white '94 widebody. The aesthetics are amazing to me but the tech is nothing special. The car definitely gets a lot of attention, and I enjoy the rarity/individuality of it. When I bought mine in 2014, it was very similar in condition and mileage as the one mentioned. I definitely overpaid at sub $90k but there was something very special about it. But a beautifully setup NB is also a spectacular sight.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 PM
UofM
Rennlist Member

Default Advice

Thank you for all the advice and info.

There’s another white one for Sale at RMC Miami with 32k miles they are asking. $132! It’s been up for a while. Nicer car but way over my budget. I did make them offer but they declined.

**i have not been down to see the car. Just stating those are the 2 widebodys ive found for sale in white.

Last edited by UofM; 08-16-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by UofM
Thank you for all the advice and info.

There’s another white one for Sale at RMC Miami with 32k miles they are asking. $132! It’s been up for a while. Nicer car but way over my budget. I did make them offer but they declined.

**i have not been down to see the car. Just stating those are the 2 widebodys ive found for sale in white.

There is one in San Diego 94 i looked at last week, seller said it was perfect, has 100k miles and they wanted $89,000 started at $98,000 lol..drove there, and there was paint work to the hood and door, which means possibly may have had a minor fender bender (no big deal, but don't ask for a crazy premium as if its concourse) and the sunroof didn't work, and had a few leaks..
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 PM
UofM
Rennlist Member

Default 964

Originally Posted by Tarek307
There is one in San Diego 94 i looked at last week, seller said it was perfect, has 100k miles and they wanted $89,000 started at $98,000 lol..drove there, and there was paint work to the hood and door, which means possibly may have had a minor fender bender (no big deal, but don't ask for a crazy premium as if its concourse) and the sunroof didn't work, and had a few leaks..

Thank you Tarek.. you’re a big help to us all. You’re a man of integrity and you know your cars really well. The one in RMC seems cleaner to me but I wouldn’t even know where to begin making an offer since it’s priced at $132k.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Do a search for Real Muscle Cars, from some reports you should tread lightly with them.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the narrow body were unaffordable now, but these wb are really sky high, in the end it’s just a C4 with a wider rear.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

As noted low production number cars command huge money. The lower the miles and original condition can see well above 6 figures. I almost purchased the one of one US spec Wimbledon green a few years back with 27k miles. Hindsight is 20/20.

They list 29 not 3 US spec 94 GPW WB cars. I know of one that I nearly purchased that was crushed in a snow storm. Insurance paid out $70k and it was long before the market for these was on the rise. The car was heavily modified with well over 125k miles when the speedo stopped.

IMO the widebody is the best looking the NB a better handling car and the WB with narrow rear trailing arms tops them all. Price seems fair enough for miles all things check out with a thorough PPI. This is a very late build. Very close to the end of the 964 production.

I would need to see it up close but all I see with a quick look is the rockers and bumpers were painted at one time and the front splitter not stock. The GPW came with the lower portion of the rockers and bumpers painted a satin/matt black.

GL
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

No lumbar support.. No care.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:03 PM
UofM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
As noted low production number cars command huge money. The lower the miles and original condition can see well above 6 figures. I almost purchased the one of one US spec Wimbledon green a few years back with 27k miles. Hindsight is 20/20.

They list 29 not 3 US spec 94 GPW WB cars. I know of one that I nearly purchased that was crushed in a snow storm. Insurance paid out $70k and it was long before the market for these was on the rise. The car was heavily modified with well over 125k miles when the speedo stopped.

IMO the widebody is the best looking the NB a better handling car and the WB with narrow rear trailing arms tops them all. Price seems fair enough for miles all things check out with a thorough PPI. This is a very late build. Very close to the end of the 964 production.

I would need to see it up close but all I see with a quick look is the rockers and bumpers were painted at one time and the front splitter not stock. The GPW came with the lower portion of the rockers and bumpers painted a satin/matt black.

GL
great insidht.. thank you.

Quick Reply: 964 widebody purchase advice