Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The simple reason classic car prices WILL fall (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default The simple reason classic car prices WILL fall (Video)

Is the party over? Is a mega price correction around the corner...
Are there too many GT cars? Will regular enthusiasts be able to afford 964s again.
What do you guys think?!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

I was thinking about this Sunday as I was listening to Frank Sinatra. I was not there when Sinatra came up with those songs. Yet I love his songs and I still sing them. Because he, as a singer (no pun intended), is irreplaceable.
Population is growing and there are more people that will desire these cars, that aren't built anymore. "More and more classic cars being built" is a misleading statement and I disagree with it.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

nice enough bloke and car nut, but seriously, to compare 30-40 year old 2.7RS to modern 991.1 GT3 RS supply and demand dynamics is just stupid

generalities are useless - what is the average altitude of our planet surface?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
nice enough bloke and car nut, but seriously, to compare 30-40 year old 2.7RS to modern 991.1 GT3 RS supply and demand dynamics is just stupid
Exactly. By the same reasoning every 2.7RS owner would be fine by trading it for a new RS?

But now that I think about it, he probably did it as a click-bait thing to gain visibility on his youtube channel - Shuffling in a bunch of data trying to create a semi-logic story that can be debated and talked about, shared.
So, yeah, marketing.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

I intend to drive my car for the next 20 years or longer. Rebuild the motor as needed, and fix things as they break.

Wish me luck. But i feel the buy in is "sunk cost" and current and future market value is irrelevant.

Anyone worried about market value should be very careful to keep the car indoors, pampered and god forbid he/she should add miles. Lol.

Fwiw, i see more young people at coffee and cars, aka free events for people that use their stuff, vs concours events that are typically a lot of grey hairs and old school pondering over the correct finish on a bolt or in our case whether the air box is drilled or undrilled...and the organizers of those events wondering how they can attract a newer younger crowd.

The market and the reasons are all in flux and changing. What's clear is that most care a lot less about museum cars and care a lot more about the fun of use and ownership.
The drive break fix drive thing has always been about using and breaking and fixing - keep it cheep, make it fun, and care a bit less about that while collector car attitude that keeps cars in garages and off streets.

It would be horrible if i had a ton of money. Cuz if Likely be the only guy in the world daily driving a macleren f1 with 200k miles on it. And snow tires in the winter.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I intend to drive my car for the next 20 years or longer. Rebuild the motor as needed, and fix things as they break.

Wish me luck. But i feel the buy in is "sunk cost" and current and future market value is irrelevant.

Anyone worried about market value should be very careful to keep the car indoors, pampered and god forbid he/she should add miles. Lol.

Fwiw, i see more young people at coffee and cars, aka free events for people that use their stuff, vs concours events that are typically a lot of grey hairs and old school pondering over the correct finish on a bolt or in our case whether the air box is drilled or undrilled...and the organizers of those events wondering how they can attract a newer younger crowd.

The market and the reasons are all in flux and changing. What's clear is that most care a lot less about museum cars and care a lot more about the fun of use and ownership.
The drive break fix drive thing has always been about using and breaking and fixing - keep it cheep, make it fun, and care a bit less about that while collector car attitude that keeps cars in garages and off streets.

It would be horrible if i had a ton of money. Cuz if Likely be the only guy in the world daily driving a macleren f1 with 200k miles on it. And snow tires in the winter.

Amen to that.

I bought my car because of the fun it'll bring me, not how much of a return I'll make on it in a few years. I'll leave that stuff to my financial guy.

But hey if prices fall drastically, maybe one day I'll be able to get that 3.6 bad boys turbo I've always dreamt about.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

I know a 3.6 for sale...hasn't listed yet. Just sayin.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You know where all of the bodies are buried don't you.

3.6 Turbo is all but a dream right now.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Any leads on a 930?

Since prices are COLLAPSING because they made SO MANY 996/7/1 Turbo I will be happy to protect you from the price fall by taking it away from you.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Exactly. By the same reasoning every 2.7RS owner would be fine by trading it for a new RS?

But now that I think about it, he probably did it as a click-bait thing to gain visibility on his youtube channel - Shuffling in a bunch of data trying to create a semi-logic story that can be debated and talked about, shared.
So, yeah, marketing.
I think you're right - but doing so for those reasons...is a little douchbagish, IMO. There's a guy on another car forum - an aspiring owner to the model and he is bashing the model left and right, stating flaws and reasons people should dump them. His main motivation? To get one cheaper for himself. Pretty lame.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:01 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I, for one, hope prices/values drop.

I bought two air-cooled 911's (a 993 then a 964) before the values more than doubled and the higher valuations make me uneasy when I take the cars out. Vandalism or getting hit by a careless driver mean that repairing or replacing the cars is expensive. Yes, that's what insurance is for but have you tried lately to buy a replacement air-cooled 911 for the one you already own? Pickings are slim and the quality of what's out there is dubious, all thanks to speculators/flippers and higher valuations. I say let the values plummet and let the enthusiasts (or people who enjoy the experience of owning and driving their cars more than they care about their car as an appreciating "investment") reclaim the classic car marketplace.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok Jack as a point and it helps brain storming right !

what we should all do is, dont give a F....of the value and enjoy drive nuts and modifia our car ( now hold on and don't go silly just because you have stupid amont of money in the bank right)
Drive them as hard as we can and don't crash them as it cost a lot of money to fix them, plus you don't see them for a while and now look at you with a string around your shoulder and crouches ...can't even go to work and your misse is unhappy :-(((((
in another words enjoy them as much as we can ;-)))))
ok guys stay helthy ! Make money as much as you can and enjoy your cars and many others you can buy
Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

generalities are useless - what is the average altitude of our planet surface?

Spot on.

Internet click bait looking for relevance.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

As long as spare parts prices drop with them I couldn't care less!

Quick Reply: The simple reason classic car prices WILL fall (Video)