Diff lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff lock actuator

I have a suspected front (axial) diff lock actuator leak. Would anyone know if it is possible to fit a rebuild kit or do I have to replace the unit.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Youcef,
You either have a leaking slave cylinder or you don't. How is it suspect.
If there is an internal leak you check the transmission fluid for brake fluid.
If it has an external leak you will see it and more than likely it is a pipe not the slave cylinder.
To replace them it costs around 190 CHF. They cannot to the best of my knowledge be repaired. Not a cost effective thing to do. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when all the spares are gone somebody will offer this service.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: If you have a leak the hydraulic boost circuit chamber in the brake fluid reservoir will be very low. This is easy to check. I did it the other day myself. Start the 964, expose the brake fluid reservoir and watch the chamber level (furthest right on reservoir). If you see air appear at the top you need to top it up and find the leak. Remember this is also the fluid for your brake boost circuit and no brake boost, no brakes.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
WB993IF
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian,

I noticed that there is fluid leaking around the actuator, it looks like brake fluid but I cant be 100% sure until I pull the slave. Is the brake fluid easily recognizable in the transmission fluid? Is so what do I need to look for?

I am keeping my eye on the fluid level, the leak is at the moment very minor?

Youcef
Old 01-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Youcef,
Transmission fluid looks like rusty water and smells bad. Brake fluid is clear (unless using Blue high temp) and it should be eating the paint off the slave cylinder.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Adrian;989066]They cannot to the best of my knowledge be repaired. Not a cost effective thing to do. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when all the spares are gone somebody will offer this service.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

OK, so it's been "10 or 20 years"... well, 9 since this post was birthed. Close enough. I need someone to make a rebuild kit, pronto!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the other thread that's been near the top for some ideas, but no solution. You may have to pioneer something

I just got an o-ring manual that should enable one to determine what size o-ring to buy based on the size of the groove in the piston.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

My mechanic is looking at rebuilding mine, and has experience rebuilding similar types of hardware, so I am hopeful.

If it's as simple as determining the type, size and material of the O Ring, and I find a working solution, I will make definitely update the thread. If the o-ring is inexpensive, I'll buy a bunch for when they are needed in the future from other Rennlisters.

Quick Reply: Diff lock actuator