Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Cars without Engine Under tray Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If you want to call me i can walk you through it for what you need to source. Pm me sometime and I'll give you my number
Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Mainja
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goughary
If you want to call me i can walk you through it for what you need to source. Pm me sometime and I'll give you my number
Definitely will take you up on the offer. The car is getting AC work and while it's currently on a lift I've had some time to try and see what brackets or components were still attached. Didn't seem to have much left at all. There is a broken bolt or stud that the mechanic is going to remove for me later where I believe the center back bolt secures to on the undertray. I'll go back next week and take some detailed pics of my current setup so we can compare notes. Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you later to get your number.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

You won't need that center rear bolt. It acts a. It as a guide for the rear shields, but it sticks down so far in all likelihood yu will hit it at some point and bend it again.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainja
Are your heat shields for sale by chance? Problem with sourcing is it's adding up quick at today's prices and looking for which brackets are necessary to mount each one. PET catalog is a good start, but with all those items missing I'm trying to get decent pictures to see what I needed. I wish the PO would have left the heat shields in place and just removed the undertray.
All back on the car. I agree with comments the side heat shields are to reflect the heat from the exhaust components and protect the wires / valve covers et al. Good luck finding the parts.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Mainja
Intermediate

You won't need that center rear bolt. It acts a. It as a guide for the rear shields, but it sticks down so far in all likelihood yu will hit it at some point and bend it again.
Gotcha, so don't worry about extracting what's left. Thanks for the input. Will hit you back up next week with the pics.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Mainja
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spokes
All back on the car. I agree with comments the side heat shields are to reflect the heat from the exhaust components and protect the wires / valve covers et al. Good luck finding the parts.
I can find them, but the bargain hunting is what's key. At least I got the undertray for $175.00 a few weeks ago. That was a bargain compared to brand new from Porsche or Pelican.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Goughary
Race Car

50-100 each is what you will find the others for. You may pick up pairs or a set at a cheaper per unit price. There are four pieces to buy.

And if you get stuck, you just call a dismantler and pay up a bit. No biggie.

Post some pics when you are next under the car. So we can see what's there
Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainja
I can find them, but the bargain hunting is what's key. At least I got the undertray for $175.00 a few weeks ago. That was a bargain compared to brand new from Porsche or Pelican.
I’m a bit miffed that your heat shields are missing, seems like an essential part of the car. Were you aware of this when you purchased the car?

Autobahn in San Diego (El Cajon) gets tons of parts from the disassembled Singer cars. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have all the parts you need. Ask for Mike and see if he’ll cut you a deal for all the parts. Shipping is usually the killer so definitely buy them all at once.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Mainja
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I’m a bit miffed that your heat shields are missing, seems like an essential part of the car. Were you aware of this when you purchased the car?

Autobahn in San Diego (El Cajon) gets tons of parts from the disassembled Singer cars. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have all the parts you need. Ask for Mike and see if he’ll cut you a deal for all the parts. Shipping is usually the killer so definitely buy them all at once.

Good luck.
At the time of purchase, I had zero knowledge of anything Porsche related. I was made aware it needed some restoration items but nothing that affected performance and she drove like a dream. I was in love from the start. Buying her for $20k was a bargain that I figured over time, I would work out any issues. All typical items such as the dual mass flywheel, wheel bearings, brakes, valve adjustment and tuning have been dealt with to date along with replace odds and ends. After the AC is complete the only steps beside this, next step to find a solid paint guy who knows Porsches and the driver seat needs something done with the bolster section or replace the whole leather cover. So the end is in site and she is almost back to stock, minus I have a whale tale lid on her now but I still have the original lid in case.

I've dealt with LA Dismantlers on occasion but never tried Autobahn. I'll see what they have to offer. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:02 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Plenty of good advise about heat shields being necessary and why owners dump the lower tray but it's also worth mentioning to check the oil cooler fan is working on both low and high speed. I would guess 75% or more will not work on low speed for one reason or another. If your car runs with oil temp at 9 o'clock you can be fairly sure the low speed fan ain't working.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Mainja
Intermediate

Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

I think its ok to have the tray in cooler climates, whenever i get a 964 that has a tray on it, i take it rite off, have about 3 of those in my garage collecting dust.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Ok uncle.... I’m taking my tray off. If nothing else at least I’ll be able to jack up the car!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Goughary
Race Car

You are pretty much spot on. The ones that you don't need are:

Name:  photo895.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  199.6 KB

And then you seem to be missing the two exhaust shields in front of the car as well. Hard to tell from the pics.

Anyway- those are the parts you need to source.

I'll call you this morning to discuss.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive with the tray on... daily until 6 months ago, now just very regularly. Can't say I have a overheating problem and it goes to 120 here, with high humidity (well over 85%, but never at 120 that would be at 105).

So take that for what it is, but if cars have cooling problems I suspect some systems are not working 100%. Extended traffic jams may prove to be an issue, but not so much here. Hot weather and LA traffic, that I wouldn't try.

Quick Reply: 964 Cars without Engine Under tray Installed