Sponsored by:

HELP: 964 Engine Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddan
After reading Spyerx's 964 build thread I am thinking about first doing a suspension and brake upgrade before touching the engine.
+2, I just did a suspension refresh with new coilovers, top hats, control arm bushings, and ball joints and the car feels incredible. I also replaced the small OEM rear calipers with a pair of rear 993 C2S calipers for better braking. I am very happy with the results.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Not to mention...50lbs of weight loss can be had for free. If added hp and better handling is the goal...weight loss and suspension first.

If you haven't read the suspension madness thread, there is some good basic information in there...and then on some of the other build threads, like spyrex's thread, there is some higher-end suspension info if you want to go a step further. But again, the more you do yourself, the more you will save. And for the most part, suspension work is all pretty much bolt on bolt off, so feel free to dive in there and pay someone else to align the car when you are done.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'm not really a horsepower guy, especially for a car that's mostly used on the streets and canyons. For for me, a great chassis with reduced weight is a lot more fun. Its why I started there.
And Goughary is right, suspension assembly is not hard (time is my issue, why I have others do the work..., not lack of skill or desire), getting it setup right is as much art as science. There are some tough bits, like removing the existing bushings in suspension components (A arms and swing arm an an SOB. Fire, heat, drills, etc).

Sort of depends on what your end game is. For me, I wanted an air cooled canyon carver with AC :-)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Fair- but keep in mind on the bushings that elephant charges very little to press in and refurb the front control arms..so even that, done on your own...can be had cheap...their sport bushings are a no brainer upgrade. SO much better and zero noticeable increase in harshness. Massive increase in tightness up front.

Loving this thread. Can't wait to see what you get up to w the mods...how about some pics of the car...
Old 07-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Buddan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple of photos when the car was in Japan. Will post more once I am back in LA.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Fair- but keep in mind on the bushings that elephant charges very little to press in and refurb the front control arms..so even that, done on your own...can be had cheap...their sport bushings are a no brainer upgrade. SO much better and zero noticeable increase in harshness. Massive increase in tightness up front.
Spot on about going for the Sport bushings but Elephant is actually a bit on the pricey side for refurbishing the control arms. I went with the Rennline HD bushings (same as the Elephant Sport) and had them shipped directly to RLer Andreas (AOW162435). I was able to save quite a bit of $$ as opposed to using Elephant, Andreas was able to make some money, and the quality of his work and turnaround time are both beyond amazing. Best money I spent and highly recommended if you don’t want to do your own.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

lot of good advice and wisdom on this thread... chasing more engine power on the 964 platform is not really a high smiles per $ spent activity
Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts

Adrian Streather posted on an Australian FB page that every extra hp is $400. Far more to gain in suspension and improving the driver.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Adrian Streather posted on an Australian FB page that every extra hp is $400. Far more to gain in suspension and improving the driver.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. My first order of business was to understand the cars handling in stock form. Next up was the suspension upgrades noted here and yes they make a dramatic difference, on a US car especially. Of course the driver had to relearn the car as it felt totally different and yeah I’m still learning.

Good luck with the import and post more pics when you get it stateside.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Goughary
Race Car

That's a good one- 400 per 1 hp...

I think Adrian likely posted that back when he was active in the community...which was quite a while ago. Honestly i get the point, so i don't mean for this to come off as argumentative...cuz it's not...

But to add some color, we are in the middle of an engine build at the moment, where we may end up a bit over 300, could be 320hp...but in all likelihood, at the wheels, we are talking about, for sake of argument...300. So a 53hp gain over stock.

53 hp at 400 per is 21,200 dollars. Maybe one could achieve 53 hp without all the work we are doing...so granted there may be cheaper horses in the realm of possibility. But this motor is going to cost significantly more than 21k.

You don't just polish a turd and expect it to be a golden egg. So in this case - and as with most of us- you take a sadly worn, sometimes worn out, motor that has seen better days, and if you are going for real hp gain...you more or less, keep the block, and everything else changes. It's not about "tossing in some cams". You try to keep as many parts as you can and just refurb and clean them up...but the whole while you are in there...if you go with it...you end up realizing that you have a 30 year old motor that can be a lot better, by making it a new and newly redesigned motor...

This is why when mine came out- my decision was to keep it almost 100% stock. The changes we made were for reliability- not hp gain. So we used steve weiner for the heads. And did upgraded valve guides, 993 valves, aesco springs and ti retainers...and pretty much that was the mod. A bit of a lighter valve train. Done.

All that said. If i had 80k to put into my car...I'd build a proper motor with it. But that's because I'm nuts. It would be cheaper to buy a wrecked 993 and swap the motor in for the same hp gain, and then I'd have a 964 motor to sell and parts from the 993...i'd end up with 300+ hp for almost free.

Hmmmmmm
Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you guys going to be tuning locally on an engine dyno?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Dawes Motorsport is designing and building the motor. So if/when they dyno it- likelihood is it'll be in PA close to their shop...so it's not too far. Are you back up here now Jason ? Or still in the islands?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:17 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Wait, given the import pics, have you even driven the car yet or any 964? Are you buying it knowing it needs engine work?

If not, get some miles under your belt first. These cars are different (better) then anything else out there. Enjoy getting to know the car and it’s awesome dynamics, then start honing the experience. Marine Blue said it best.

A 964, or any 911, makes you want to be a better driver, at all speeds. Enjoy getting to know the car, we are the weak link in this equation. You can easily spend a lifetime wanting to be a better driver in a 911. It’s an endlessly fun and challenging project.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Dawes Motorsport is designing and building the motor. So if/when they dyno it- likelihood is it'll be in PA close to their shop...so it's not too far. Are you back up here now Jason ? Or still in the islands?
I'll be back from August through mid-to-late-October, depending on the hurricane season this year.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Well that's good! Cuz the car hopefully will be on the road by then. And should be a pretty special bit of design work.

Anyway don't want to hi-jack this thread. Shoot me a pm end of summer.

Quick Reply: HELP: 964 Engine Mods