Sponsored by:

Re-install factory power spoiler on 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM
SRM11
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re-install factory power spoiler on 964

Hi all - finally got my hands on a 964 after a 15 year hiatus from my old 3.2 I had as a kid. The PO has installed a turbo tail style fixed spoiler that I would like to remove and convert back to the original popup spoiler.

I've already purchased the OE grille/surround and a motor/wiring from a different P owner that converted his 964 to a turbolook. There's a gear/shaft mounted on the tail with wiring (round plugs) that I assume will plug into decklid on my car, as well as a small black cylinder motor (spoiler motor?). It all seems to be plug and play on the decklid side.

I don't have a warning light on the dash for the spoiler so it's been bypassed somehow, and obviously the console switch does nothing at this time.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams or can provide an overview of how this is supposed to operate? I want to make sure I don't need any other parts once I start this retrofit. I did a few searches on here and google but everything I found was the reverse - taking off the OE and installing XYZ tail instead.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2018, 04:14 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi, the wiring diagram is in volume 7 of the 964 Workshop Manual.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:37 PM
SRM11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwbavalon
Hi, the wiring diagram is in volume 7 of the 964 Workshop Manual.
Thank you - is there a place to download these manuals in PDF? Or are they available for sale? I did a quick search but all seemed to be the 'scam' type sites that have 16 different options to click on that go nowhere but ads.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi, sent you a pm.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 PM
SRM11
Rennlist Member

Appreciate it Jwbavalon!

If anyone has any other tips or things I might run into doing this, please let me know.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

The spoiler controller under the passenger seat was likely unplugged to prevent the spoiler light coming on in the clock. I'd check there first.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Yup- the spoiler control unit under the dash was also likely disconnected. I may a have an older spare lying around if you need one.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:44 PM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Since this is the most recent thread on spoiler problems, I figured I'd ask a question in this thread as it might help re-installing the spoiler functionality.

The car is a 1990 C2. I'm getting a spoiler error light when the car hits the speed where the spoiler is supposed to automatically extend. The manual switch does not work, the microswitches in the spoiler seem to be functioning properly, but I haven't put power to the spoiler motor. When i get stop at an intersection, the light on the dash goes out.

Spoiler was functioning properly most recently about 6 months ago. Has anyone else had these symptoms and fixed the problem? I think that the problem is likely the spoiler control unit under the passenger seat not relaying the appropriate signal to the spoiler motor, but wanted to get input before I dive in.

Thanks for any help!
Jon
Old 06-29-2018, 08:43 PM
SRM11
Rennlist Member

Is this what you guys are referring to? I found it under the dash.

Under the passenger seat (From what I could see, couldn't get the bolts off without an allen socket for leverage) it shows a factory amp, an alarm module of some sort (factory) and some other silver box that looked factory also.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by SRM11

Is this what you guys are referring to? I found it under the dash.

Under the passenger seat (From what I could see, couldn't get the bolts off without an allen socket for leverage) it shows a factory amp, an alarm module of some sort (factory) and some other silver box that looked factory also.
That’s the plug that goes to the spoiler module pictured below.

Quick Reply: Re-install factory power spoiler on 964