Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a Porsche 964, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:08 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
All 964s are 50k+... pay it up front or pay it in surprises, it's all the same in the end.
Good call!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:19 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

good drivers are going to be 55+ what does driver actually mean? I consider mine a driver...

this is an honest car. Seen and drove in it. Not a beater. Ad is very accurate to condition

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-2-5/

bats sold listings show market pretty well
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/964/

maybe you get lucky and find one but trust me there are people who do this for a living that have way more time than you do looking for these ....

know the car and familiar with the seller, great seller, but he’s a reseller so there will be a premium, nothing wrong with that, but I’m not wanting to be the one to pay it. I already talked to him about the car and couldn’t get to my price I had in mind.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by stutt911

know the car and familiar with the seller, great seller, but he’s a reseller so there will be a premium, nothing wrong with that, but I’m not wanting to be the one to pay it. I already talked to him about the car and couldn’t get to my price I had in mind.
It’s an auction. Name your price!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 405 Posts

Contact Fabie at Abreu Motors; he seems to be the king of 964s.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Contact Fabie at Abreu Motors; he seems to be the king of 964s.
great cars. Not for this buyer budget though.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The only way to get the deals are to put the time into it and also gamble with sight unseen purchases. You might get lucky and find a good driver at your price if you’re ready to move fast. Then again you might get unlucky and get a car that needs $20k of work to make it a driver. Dealers get burned too, at least the honest ones.

The alternative is to wait and see if the market cools/dips which might happen if our economy drops. Hard to say if that will really happen with the 964 market anytime soon.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 PM
EvilllEmpirE
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stutt911

id like to be in the mid 40s but seems hard
You are about 18-24 months Late to be in the Mid 40's. 2016 was the year when you could find good drivers in the lo 40 to mid 40 range.. Everything...and I mean EVERYTHING is $55k+ (more like $60k plus) now for a C2 Coupe. There are no DEALS to be had in todays market. If a Seller happens to not know what he has and prices something that starts with a "4".....he or she will have a Dozen+ Offers to buy it sight unseen....where it will drive the price up to Market Value. Ante Up to buy a proper car......if $55-60 is out of your budget....then 964's are out of your budget...
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
You are about 18-24 months Late to be in the Mid 40's. 2016 was the year when you could find good drivers in the lo 40 to mid 40 range.. Everything...and I mean EVERYTHING is $55k+ (more like $60k plus) now for a C2 Coupe. There are no DEALS to be had in todays market. If a Seller happens to not know what he has and prices something that starts with a "4".....he or she will have a Dozen+ Offers to buy it sight unseen....where it will drive the price up to Market Value. Ante Up to buy a proper car......if $55-60 is out of your budget....then 964's are out of your budget...

well maybe a vert or a tip could be found ~mid 40's
Old 09-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sold for less than 40
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsch...dbSi1D&vxp=mtr
Old 09-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter

Although I think this car was a decent buy, a quick check of the carfax showed the mileage was completely bogus. I spoke with the seller, he's a pretty nice guy. My sense was he had no idea that the miles were off and he was just a nice older guy, didn't care and wasn't calling me a liar or getting upset. That lead me to believe he didn't know or car. He put a lot of work into the car. I believe it was a good buy.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220
Although I think this car was a decent buy, a quick check of the carfax showed the mileage was completely bogus. I spoke with the seller, he's a pretty nice guy. My sense was he had no idea that the miles were off and he was just a nice older guy, didn't care and wasn't calling me a liar or getting upset. That lead me to believe he didn't know or car. He put a lot of work into the car. I believe it was a good buy.
Mileage aside (taking that off the table) this seems like a good buy, with a mileage issue... who knows. This car just looking at it I see 10k+ in 'stuff' needed,not including mechanical surprises.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit of a thread high-jack but goes along with conversation about 964 'values'. What are peoples thoughts on this car:

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/330738
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-for-sale.html
Old 09-04-2018, 04:21 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my thinking... there are basically three categories of cars that you can consider when shopping for a 'drivers' car (I am assuming you do not want it as an investment, really want to drive them and your only looking for manual coupes (maybe targas):

1. Garage queen, all original: $70K-$100K+ (Probably has 'dry rot' and will need a full suspension refresh if you want to drive it. I would always be nervous to drive this car hard.)
2. Basket case, mostly original: $30K-$45K (everything from really rusty examples to ones which look good but have very high mileage and unknown history)
3. Ex Track car, modified, partially stripped: $45K-$70K? (Assuming it's well maintained but may have cosmetic issues. Compromised for normal street driving but could make an excellent, fun weekend car as the mods only enhance why we like these cars in the first place).

I think Option 3 is the most cost effective because the really $$$ items are usually done and the previous owners have spent the time and effort to dial in the cars.

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Mileage aside (taking that off the table) this seems like a good buy, with a mileage issue... who knows. This car just looking at it I see 10k+ in 'stuff' needed,not including mechanical surprises.
+1

Although I didn't need a carfax to know the miles were bogus. I agree an easy $10k and who knows what else. Some odd comments and being a 90 the engine has been cleaned and no mention of leaks or rebuild at any point. Car has clearly had paint work at one time. Even with the bad pictures you can see the tape lines in a few small areas and there are some potential gap issues. Wheels are also aftermarket.

Might have been a good buy or all the money. Would need a closer look but there are some skeletons needing investigating.

Stuff like this makes people believe it is easy to find a nice 964.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Here's my thinking... there are basically three categories of cars that you can consider when shopping for a 'drivers' car (I am assuming you do not want it as an investment, really want to drive them and your only looking for manual coupes (maybe targas):

1. Garage queen, all original: $70K-$100K+ (Probably has 'dry rot' and will need a full suspension refresh if you want to drive it. I would always be nervous to drive this car hard.)
2. Basket case, mostly original: $30K-$45K (everything from really rusty examples to ones which look good but have very high mileage and unknown history)
3. Ex Track car, modified, partially stripped: $45K-$70K? (Assuming it's well maintained but may have cosmetic issues. Compromised for normal street driving but could make an excellent, fun weekend car as the mods only enhance why we like these cars in the first place).

I think Option 3 is the most cost effective because the really $$$ items are usually done and the previous owners have spent the time and effort to dial in the cars.

Thoughts?

i think there are also moderately high mileage mostly stock drivers out there around $50k in price ... 100-150k miles on odo, engine resealed/rebuilt at some point, interior and body original (with some paint work over time), usually suspension has been upgraded at least with lowering springs and light mods like muffler bypass and a chip.... i have recently stumbled into a couple of these that have been reasonably well cared for, and which i have bought and am playing with and rehabbing them as needed, to see how well they drive and feel when made 'fully fit' again

interesting thing is, these cars are old enough such that each one has its distinct personality... some feel tight and quick, some feel smooth and cushy, some feel lazy and some feel urgent, some just feel loose... might be suspension bushings, chip tune, engine compression and break in

(there are all those threads on the subject of engine break in on the 997 and 991 forums... i believe when cars have aged like these air cooled cars, you see the effects of good vs poor break in come home to roost).

Quick Reply: Want to buy a Porsche 964, where to start?