Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a Porsche 964, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Want to buy a Porsche 964, where to start?

Hello, long time lurker here. i am looking for a good 964 coupe or targa i'm ok with , just don't want convertible or auto,. i've seen a couple of threads about this but wanted to make my own since i have own questions. Why do so many of these cars seem to have top end or engine rebuild done under 100,000 miles? is it imminent? do i need to only buy ones that had this done? or is it hit or miss and most last many miles without problems? i know about leaks and some rusty spots but worried about the engine rebuild thing.

where is best place to look? i see some on here in for sale section here but not that many, it feels like the 964 very rare you barley find.

thank you.

Pete.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

the 964 market has been very hot for a couple years now - after years and years of being out of fashion...fickle is the taste of the porsche enthusiast

value wise... c2 > c4...coupes > targa > cab... stick>> tips... thus low mile good condition 5 spd c2 coupes can really get up there in price

early cars 89-90 had poor engine head gasket seals that led to many of these cars seeing premature oil leaks -- you can search for 'oil leaks' on the 964 forums (and many other sources), there is ample info to read up on -- there are 3-4-5 places where these leaks occur (timing chain cover, valve cover/head gaskets, oil pressure sender...), and only one type of leak (the engine case thru-bolts) is quite expensive to repair as the engine must be removed to do this properly

bearing in mind these are now 25-30 year old cars, many cars' engine gaskets/seals (even on the later cars with 'good' head gasket seals) have dried out, and caused persistent minor oil leaks or at least a slow seepage - these leaks are typically completely harmless as to the proper functioning of the engine (making good power without hurting itself)... but some owners can't stand the small leaks and have a reseal job done (or, just as often, indie or dealer shops will talk owners into doing this by pointing out the leaks with an expression of horror) and so many cars have had reseals done

but just remember...

1) quite few 964's are totally dry and most (healthy ones) will seep/drip a little oil

2) if the engine seems otherwise healthy and pulls strong (can be confirmed with a compression test if you want 'data' to support this), minor oil leaks or seepage will not hurt the car nor the driving experience - just check your oil level from time to time, top off when needed

3) many cars that have has reseals done will STILL leak or seep... its just the way it is with these cars... part of the charm of owning these
Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
the 964 market has been very hot for a couple years now - after years and years of being out of fashion...fickle is the taste of the porsche enthusiast

value wise... c2 > c4...coupes > targa > cab... stick>> tips... thus low mile good condition 5 spd c2 coupes can really get up there in price

early cars 89-90 had poor engine head gasket seals that led to many of these cars seeing premature oil leaks -- you can search for 'oil leaks' on the 964 forums (and many other sources), there is ample info to read up on -- there are 3-4-5 places where these leaks occur (timing chain cover, valve cover/head gaskets, oil pressure sender...), and only one type of leak (the engine case thru-bolts) is quite expensive to repair as the engine must be removed to do this properly

bearing in mind these are now 25-30 year old cars, many cars' engine gaskets/seals (even on the later cars with 'good' head gasket seals) have dried out, and caused persistent minor oil leaks or at least a slow seepage - these leaks are typically completely harmless as to the proper functioning of the engine (making good power without hurting itself)... but some owners can't stand the small leaks and have a reseal job done (or, just as often, indie or dealer shops will talk owners into doing this by pointing out the leaks with an expression of horror) and so many cars have had reseals done

but just remember...

1) quite few 964's are totally dry and most (healthy ones) will seep/drip a little oil

2) if the engine seems otherwise healthy and pulls strong (can be confirmed with a compression test if you want 'data' to support this), minor oil leaks or seepage will not hurt the car nor the driving experience - just check your oil level from time to time, top off when needed

3) many cars that have has reseals done will STILL leak or seep... its just the way it is with these cars... part of the charm of owning these
Great info ^. OP a thorough PPI with a compression/leak down test should tell you if the engine is healthy or if it will be in need of top end.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:50 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

get ready for an aggressive market. the very good cars can go within hours - many buyers are prepared to jump and know exactly what they are looking for. some cars linger and there's usually a reason why. learn the model, know what to look for/ask for from the seller and have money ready. right now, i'd say the 964 market is the most aggressive of all porsches models. good luck and don't take the car i'm interested in.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you may want to get one before everyone starts playing tit-for-tat with all these tariffs. Even if you're buying within the country, I imagine that's going to restrict the movement and supply of classic cars.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:42 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I know of a couple really good cars. There at the top of the market but really nice cars. I passed on them because i am out of room. Pm me and I will put you in touch with the owners.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

i love the 964 - right from day one. i should have been stockpiling them while everyone else considered them the 'step-child'.
that said, the thing that makes paying a premium for a 964 now is that they are basically at 355/6 prices and that is an awfully enticing ride also!!
what to do, what to do...
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

There are 2 C4 for sale near where i am in Fairfield county , ct.

Both are good drivers. Not show cars. One has a rebuilt motor and newly refreshed interior and is well sorted and could use in my opinion, some mild suspension refresh, but that not dire or necessary. It's a good over-all car- was on here a while back- enso's old car...second owner since enso, and i know both owners and have intimate knowledge of the car.

The other is the lobster rocket in the suspension madness thread. Has had a ton of stuff done to sort it, and is a great driver. Needs a little body attention, and a right rear strut. Has a couple oil weeps that will be taken care of as you go, but a great car and a great driver.

If either are of interest feel free to get in touch. Both cars will be priced fairly. And both sellers are very good, honest guys .(I'm not the seller of either)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

Both are good drivers. Not show cars. One has a rebuilt motor and newly refreshed interior and is well sorted and could use in my opinion, some mild suspension refresh, but that not dire or necessary. It's a good over-all car- was on here a while back- enso's old car...second owner since enso, and i know both owners and have intimate knowledge of the car.

The other is the lobster rocket in the suspension madness thread. Has had a ton of stuff done to sort it, and is a great driver. Needs a little body attention, and a right rear strut. Has a couple oil weeps that will be taken care of as you go, but a great car and a great driver.

If either are of interest feel free to get in touch. Both cars will be priced fairly. And both sellers are very good, honest guys .(I'm not the seller of either)
what colors are these c4's rob?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 AM
stutt911
Banned

Thank you goughary. I have emailed them.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:40 PM
stutt911
Banned

talked to owner , car has high miles and not my color choice so with the asking price didn’t make much sense to me. But I thank you again for the recommendation.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

We are talking about the amazon green car?

Yes "high miles"...but in number only. The engine had a full rebuild not long ago. So the miles are on the trans and wheel bearings...if you think about it.

Regardless, i get where you are coming from. Good luck w the search. Be careful when you are looking at any of these cars that the work done to them potentially can save you an enormous amount of money. And the "lower miles" with less work having been done can cost you huge. Parts and labor are expensive. So make yourself a list of "nice to haves" and stick to it.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:46 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stutt911

talked to owner , car has high miles and not my color choice so with the asking price didn’t make much sense to me. But I thank you again for the recommendation.
my life story!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 AM
stutt911
Banned

We are talking about the amazon green car?

Yes "high miles"...but in number only. The engine had a full rebuild not long ago. So the miles are on the trans and wheel bearings...if you think about it.

Regardless, i get where you are coming from. Good luck w the search. Be careful when you are looking at any of these cars that the work done to them potentially can save you an enormous amount of money. And the "lower miles" with less work having been done can cost you huge. Parts and labor are expensive. So make yourself a list of "nice to haves" and stick to it.
yes that's the car. if it wasn't amazon green i may have thought about it, but amazon green and these miles i just couldn't go for it.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
I know of a couple really good cars. There at the top of the market but really nice cars. I passed on them because i am out of room. Pm me and I will put you in touch with the owners.
sent you a PM, Jay is one of them in NY? Owner asking $96,000 for it?

Last edited by Tarek307; 07-17-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Want to buy a Porsche 964, where to start?