Sponsored by:

Removing window tint on Targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing window tint on Targa

My '91 C2 Targa has tinted windows. It looks professionally done, but I'd prefer no tint. Being in TN the tint helps keep it cooler, but it's impossible to see behind you when it's dark, and there's some flaws in the side glass film.

Anyone here remove the tint from a Targa rear glass? I've seen a technique involving a black trash bag and soap, but I always like to get some advice from those who've been down this path.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tint is a little ragged. I have recently started to check out clear ceramic tint as a possibility for replacing the older tint in my 964. It may be worth checking into this locally so you get the heat blocking while having the tint professionally removed. Other than cost, should be the best of both worlds.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

This is what I did, not saying it'll work for you, but it did for my Targa:

I used a heat gun on the low setting to get a section of the tint hot, using a razor blade to carefully lift a corner near the Teflon border coating. Once I had enough to pull on, I kept applying heat to loosen the adhesive, then pulled the tint free. If done correctly, it should pull off without separating. In the few instances it did, I had to use a razor to (once again) carefully coax it along. This left minimal adhesive spots on the glass which can be removed with ammonia.

As I had my doors apart, I also cleared all the door glass of tint as well.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:10 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
This is what I did, not saying it'll work for you, but it did for my Targa:

I used a heat gun on the low setting to get a section of the tint hot, using a razor blade to carefully lift a corner near the Teflon border coating. Once I had enough to pull on, I kept applying heat to loosen the adhesive, then pulled the tint free. If done correctly, it should pull off without separating. In the few instances it did, I had to use a razor to (once again) carefully coax it along. This left minimal adhesive spots on the glass which can be removed with ammonia.

As I had my doors apart, I also cleared all the door glass of tint as well.
That's more or less the same as I did for my dad's 1987 Buick Grand National many years ago. But instead of a heat gun I used a hair dryer - just didn't have a heat gun. Once you get a corner free, if you keep the angle of the tint to the window very low (basically pull it so that it doubles back on itself, if that makes sense), it should come off pretty clean and easy. Also, I imagine it would be a lot easier if you removed both the driver and passenger seats so you have more room to work.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

The easiest way is a Clothing Steamer, I've used it on several cars including my 964. You can use a plastic razor blade for the remaining residue.

Quick Reply: Removing window tint on Targa