Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this C2 for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:11 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Thoughts on this C2 for sale.

i'm still in the market for a 964, never thought i'd say this, but this cabriolet kind of looks good, i'm dead set on a coupe or maybe a Targa, but this one is nice & price appealing, would any of you coupe guys go for a cabriolet? is it really that big of a difference? I won't be taking it to the track, just some fun roads here in southern cal, i'm just surprised the car even looks good with the top up which usually isn't the case. Your thoughts on price please.

I may go drive this one this weekend, its near me & i know the seller. Sorry for posting outside link, if it doesn't work i posted the youtube link in the listing.

​​​​​​http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...d-records.html

Old 06-08-2018, 02:25 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

How can i comment as a forum member giving his opinion/advice and the person whose car this is also hmmm.. lol, So Henri, from talking to you before, i can tell you this, i don't think you'd be happy with a cabriolet, i've been driving this car around since i sold my Coupe last week (which i kept for 4 months and loved every mile of driving & replaced with another coupe to drive for a while, guards red this time)

The cab is nice, but its still not a coupe, i don't get the same feeling, even though this cab has a nice presence on the road with its aggressive look, its still Just not a "coupe"..you should stick to a coupe or maybe try a Targa, i personally adore the 964 Targas as well.

Thats my 2 cents.. unbiased opinion!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have always wanted a cabriolet, but I think it would have to be in addition to my coupe - not as a replacement. Living on the gulf coast of southeast Texas, though, means we don't have very many days on which it would be pleasant for owning one. If I were ever lucky enough to own a 356, it would be a cabriolet. I am also a big fan of the 968 as a cabriolet.

The one you are considering looks to be clean with a well-documented history, for whatever that may be worth to you. The car looks to be clean per the pictures on the Pelican thread. I think the price is very good. Cabriolets just don't command the premium the coupes do, which is kinda funny considering they were originally more expensive. I would check it out and see how it strikes you in person, especially considering you are local.

I think it all comes down to how you intend to use the car, and whether you can live with a cabriolet. If it's going to be a fun car for enjoying the Southern California back roads along the coast, I think it would be pretty sweet, to be honest. I'd love to drive the PCH in a cabriolet some day. But I'd also love to drive it in my coupe with the windows and sunroof open, too. I seem to be one of the only ones here that actually likes having a sunroof, lol. At the end of the day, it is still a Porsche 964 with a 3.6 flat six and manual transmission. It just happens to have a removable roof. The LSD would be highly sought after in coupe form, so that is a nice option to have ticked-off. Today, a similarly priced coupe would either be a steal from someone that doesn't know the current market, or a basket-case with a big repair bill. How badly do you want a 964, and what are your must-haves versus what you can live with?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There is a perfect C2 in the classifieds. Get a good PPI and enjoy the car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...c2-manual.html
Old 06-08-2018, 09:52 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Cabs are fun. I drive my dad's every time I visit him. They feel surprisingly solid too. Given the top construction, you also get great noises inside the cabin, top up or down. Love the sound and top down feeling deep into second gear. For me, it would have to be a second 964, just love the coupe silhouette so much.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
i'm still in the market for a 964, never thought i'd say this, but this cabriolet kind of looks good, i'm dead set on a coupe or maybe a Targa, but this one is nice & price appealing, would any of you coupe guys go for a cabriolet? is it really that big of a difference? I won't be taking it to the track, just some fun roads here in southern cal, i'm just surprised the car even looks good with the top up which usually isn't the case.
A lot of folks here tend to have an aversion toward Cabs and they will tell you that Coupes are the holy grail and that nothing else matters. Targas and even C4 Coupes used to get the same treatment, but they are no longer the step children and are now viewed as worthy of owning since C2 Coupes values are insane and they have been much harder to find. Perhaps Cabs will follow the same path to redemption at some point but the truth is that Cab/Targa/Coupe is simply a matter of preference, they are all nice and a ton of fun to drive.

I have never been a general Cab person and I still don’t like them for the most part, heck I don’t even like sunroofs in any Coupe, but I thoroughly enjoy my 964 Cab. I was dead set on finding a C2 Coupe just because I love the lines so much, but I somehow ended up with a Cab and I don’t regret it one bit. Yes, the experience is different than a Coupe but I use the car the same way you intend to and it is perfect for that. Backroads fun, general cruising, exploring new areas, etc... with the roof off (Targa or Cab) is so exhilarating, the Cab always delivers! Go test drive it, you’ll be able to tell right away if you like the 964 Cab experience and who knows, you may even buy one and join the dark side.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Bah, if you want a coupe get a coupe. Don't settle.

Nothing against cabriolets, just not my thing.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 AM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chsu74

^^^^this^^^^
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
That one looks promising!
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

GET THEM BOTH!

A Coupe and a Cab!!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Go test drive and don’t settle as noted. If you love the experience then go for it, don’t take others words for it.

To me the only real downside to a cab is the additional top maintenance and the fact that they aren’t really appreciating, at least not enough to cover the higher maintenance.

I will add that after owning the Targa for nearly a year now I can’t really find a reason to switch to a coupe, the only exception being something unique in color in similar condition. For the majority of driving I do including canyon runs and running errands around town I just don’t find a need for the coupe.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Thanks for this one, contacting the seller now, red is not my go to but it may do if it has to, seems like a nice one.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet this one is already sold or has a deposit. Talk to Tarek about his red one..... wouldn't be surprised if it is already sold too though. It's time for you to pull the trigger on something
Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
Thanks for this one, contacting the seller now, red is not my go to but it may do if it has to, seems like a nice one.
Keep us posted. 93 is a good year. Throw some Cup 1s on it and you got a winner.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Keep us posted. 93 is a good year. Throw some Cup 1s on it and you got a winner.
the deal on this one seems a little complicated as he wants to go through the dealer, ie: the difference he is getting from tax savings would be coming out of the buyers pocket essentially, if the dealer thought it was worth that much or they wanted it they would just take it in on normal trade, and to top it off its not my favorite color.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this C2 for sale.