Sponsored by:

S2K Crash

Old 01-08-2004, 12:27 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy S2K Crash

I hopped a flight to Jacksonville yesterday to vist a friend who's about to move out to California. Later that morning, we hopped into his Honda S2000 to drive across town.

Without getting into too many details, he was driving like an @ss in traffic and suffered the consequences. He tried to change lanes on an uphill, left handed ramp. In mid-lange change, he had to jump on the brakes. Braking and turning at the same time coupled with too much speed is a recipe for disaster. (duh!) I could see the spin coming a mile away! As soon as he began to change lanes, I knew we were doomed. I tucked my head, grabbed the armrest and waited for the inevitable.

The rear came out, and we crossed from the right lane of traffic over to the left - tail first. The nose brushed the inside concrete wall of the ramp and detonated the airbags as the tail came around and tagged the wall a second time.

I kept waiting for a third impact - specifically from a large truck he had just passed - thankfully it never came.

The first words out of my mouth were a sarcastic, "Well that was fun" We hopped out of the car and I began directing traffic as he dialed 911.

We were both fine - but we're a bit "stiff" today. The S2K wasn't so lucky. He's looking at something like $10k in damages and the car will likely be written off. The front clip is twisted, though the motor is fine (car started up and was able to be driven on the wrecker) The rear of the car is bent a bit too. ....basically a lot of body damage.

Reflecting on the accident - I thought I'd share some of my post-crash "insights".

- It was stupid and never should have happened. The driver shouldn't have been hauling @ss, weaving through traffic and he got what he deserved. He's still a very good friend of mine - but he was wrong and we both could have been seriously hurt.

- I really appreciate PCA driver education even more than ever. With better driver training, the wreck could have been avoided. You just don't brake and turn at the same time!

- I am mortal and fast driving (you know you're guilty too!) reallly can hurt you. Sometimes we fail to fully understand or accept the risks inherent to high speed driving - on or off the track.

- I am glad to know that in a traumatic situation - I'm very cool-headed and am able to think clearly. .....you just think you know - but you don't really find out until you're in it!

Last edited by BrokeAss; 01-08-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry,

You have to shave yourself, you look bad on your photograph.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Arjan B.
Terry,

Very good Arjan

Paul
C2 cab
Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your concern Arjan You're a true humanitarian!
My necks a little stiff and it makes shaving a real bitch!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just glad you came through unscathed (even if stiff).

I've had a similar experience, still not sure what the best course of action at the time to get the driver to stop driving like an @ss is?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ruairidh
I've had a similar experience, still not sure what the best course of action at the time to get the driver to stop driving like an @ss is?
I wish I knew! As men - we just tend to take it in stride and are reluctant to say anything unless we get truly freaked out by something like a near miss. ....but general misbehavior is usually tolerated amongst friends. You don't tell your buddy, "dude - take it easy you're freaking me out here!" ....you'd be labeled a sissy for life! Short of a truly hair rasing experience, we're likely to just sit the in the passenger seat and keep your mouth shut. We don't like our spouse/girlfriends telling us how to drive and therefore we're not going to tell our friends how to drive.

Looking back, I wish I would have said "take it easy".
Old 01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Terry,

Are you sure all that hair of you wasn't in the way of the rear view mirror before the accident happened....??
Old 01-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by C4 Guy
I wish I knew! As men - we just tend to take it in stride and are reluctant to say anything unless we get truly freaked out by something like a near miss. ....but general misbehavior is usually tolerated amongst friends. You don't tell your buddy, "dude - take it easy you're freaking me out here!" ....you'd be labeled a sissy for life! Short of a truly hair rasing experience, we're likely to just sit the in the passenger seat and keep your mouth shut. We don't like our spouse/girlfriends telling us how to drive and therefore we're not going to tell our friends how to drive.

I agree, but I've also had at least one near miss too many while a friend was driving. Maybe it is just me getting old and not sure how many of my nine lives I've used up.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Are you sure all that hair of you wasn't in the way of the rear view mirror before the accident happened....??
No, no - it most definately wasn't the hair or the beard - perhaps it the extra weight of that weapon of mass destruction that I had hidden in the trunk threw off the S2K's handling.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:26 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a buddy crash with me in the passenger's seat of a 1974 914. Fortunately no injuries but the laundry was busy afterwards.

The road was wet, and the post crash inspection showed bald tires. Another lesson - driving on wet roads is extra dangerous. While you may be sensible, folks around you are not, and some have slick rubber. Fun ends when the rain starts and there is traffic. I just hunker down and focus on survival.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

No doubt about wet roads and bald tires. I bought an 88 cab that had tires that were not bald, but were needing replaced. Instead of buying new tires immediately, I struggled for a week or two over whether I was going to upgrade the 15 inch Fuchs becasue the tire choices were aweful. One day driving home from work, a small down pour out of nowhere it (only spot in town it was raining) and I spun three times and took out a pole and I was driving in a straight line the same speed as everyone around me. I just hit a puddle of water and hydroplaned.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Christer
Race Car

This thread is good, but if I was Piers I would think I was being victimised.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

'Dialed 911'? Was he hoping to buy a proper car, then?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C4 Guy:

I'm glad you were not seriosly hurt. Honda makes safe autos...

Your story reminds me about last year, when I rode with a co-worker who took me for a ride in his new to him '84 Camaro. The car was an absolute nightmare and at 70+ mph on the freeway, I was scared sh*tless as the car weaved between lanes as he nailed the throttle and tried to steer this wreck. But, as men, we say nothing.

As it turned out, he had only one front brake working, very poor tires and the suspension was completely shot. The car was a hazard in every other way. I hung on for dear life during that ride...

Jay
90 964
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Christer
but if I was Piers ...
Oh stop, you're killing me!

Glad to hear you're fine, Terry. I'm not sure I would've been so understanding but I understand the predicament. As soon as you say something, expect to hear "Oh, now you think you're Michael Schumacher just because you track your Porsche?" Definitely a no win.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S2K Crash