Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Euro buckets into a 964 - how to mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 996 Euro buckets into a 964 - how to mount?

I would like to mount these cool 996 Euro buckets into a 964... I know it is not period correct but I don't care about that... these are cool lightweight body hugging seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ric-seats.html

This set above is being sold without mounts.... can someone tell me what mounts to use to get them set up well in a 964? I would like the seat to sit as low as possible and have fore/aft movement, not a purely fixed mounting.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
I would like to mount these cool 996 Euro buckets into a 964... I know it is not period correct but I don't care about that... these are cool lightweight body hugging seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ric-seats.html

This set above is being sold without mounts.... can someone tell me what mounts to use to get them set up well in a 964? I would like the seat to sit as low as possible and have fore/aft movement, not a purely fixed mounting.

Thanks
I had a set of these in my C2 for a number of years on track. Not small just over 6' long torso I had to remove my center cushion and sit on the shell with a helmet. My wife is 5"3" and also drives so it was a compromise.

I used these

​​​​​​http://www.stableenergies.com/prodin...ber=REC-SLIDER

with Brey Krause side mounts and harness sub belt bar. Bob at Stable is a 964 guy and either he or Laurette can help you out with this.

Also if you plan to track the car I would have the factory mounting points reinforced they are prone to breaking after prolonged hard driving with sport seats.

great seats BTW wish I had kept mine.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 370 Posts

I've also been tempted by these seats. Plug and play with the stock sliders and mounts, but they will likely sit too high, and your knees may get in the way of steering. Great thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...gt3-seats.html GLWS.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have euro GT3 buckets currently in my 964, which I absolutely love. I am using the OEM 996/997 manual sliders, with BK side mount lowering brackets for the Porsche sliders, with BK's adapter brackets to bolt 996/997 OE Porsche seat brackets in a 964/993. If I were in your situation, I would buy the Recaro bracket as Cobalt linked. I also agree w/ Cobalt, i'm 6'0 and remove the cushion when I'm on track to get lower in the seat. With the cushion pulled, its about perfect for me... though I'd like to have the seats low enough to not pull the cushions, but I'm hensitant to ditch the sliders.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

ok thx guys i am 6-1 but this is not a track car... still, it is good to sit as low as reasonably possible for sporty driving so i will get the BK adapters to drop the seats as much as possible
Old 05-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Revvin_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of the BK adaptors that i dont need. I got them to put a set of 996 seats in my 964, but ended up going a different direction. One set is brand new in the packaging, other set was opened and installed to check fit, then taken back out. Send me a private message if you are interested, happy to make a good deal on them.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Revvin_911
I have a set of the BK adaptors that i dont need. I got them to put a set of 996 seats in my 964, but ended up going a different direction. One set is brand new in the packaging, other set was opened and installed to check fit, then taken back out. Send me a private message if you are interested, happy to make a good deal on them.

Revvin... I am hearing that 964's and older air cooled cars don't need the BK floor adapters as the mounting holes from the factory are basically cut/made to Recaro dimensions... is that incorrect? Perhaps the BK adapters help mount the 996 slider into an air cooled?

I am told that one just needs BK side mounts to bolt to Recaro sliders and then sliders go floor side right into the factory mounting points (of course to get the appropriate seat rake one may need to drill an extra rear mounting hole into the side mount, which is a pain to do but do-able)... please correct me if the info I am hearing from Recaro shops I have spoken to is off...thx
Old 05-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Hey there - these are essentially pole positions IIRC. Which I have in my 964 and they sit PLENTY low.

Get this:
Recaro aluminum side mount adapter
Recaro dual locking sliders

http://store.us.recaro-automotive.co...se-bar-no-tabs
http://store.us.recaro-automotive.co...-fia-certified

The sliders and mounts need to be drilled and bolted together, but you will be able to sit low.

The BK adapters are if you are trying to use the factory sliders on 996/7 to a 964. Like putting GT2 seats in them.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Revvin_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Revvin... I am hearing that 964's and older air cooled cars don't need the BK floor adapters as the mounting holes from the factory are basically cut/made to Recaro dimensions... is that incorrect? Perhaps the BK adapters help mount the 996 slider into an air cooled?

I am told that one just needs BK side mounts to bolt to Recaro sliders and then sliders go floor side right into the factory mounting points (of course to get the appropriate seat rake one may need to drill an extra rear mounting hole into the side mount, which is a pain to do but do-able)... please correct me if the info I am hearing from Recaro shops I have spoken to is off...thx
The stock 964 seats were made by Recaro, so everything is “Recaro” deminsions from that standpoint. But, the 996/997/Boxster seats have a different bolt pattern for the sliders to mount to the car. It is possible, I have read, to mount 996/997 seats without the adaptors by cutting or bending a mounting tab on the seats. With the BK adaptors, the 996 seats and sliders will mount right in with no needs to cut/bend anything.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:11 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Revvin_911

The stock 964 seats were made by Recaro, so everything is “Recaro” deminsions from that standpoint. But, the 996/997/Boxster seats have a different bolt pattern for the sliders to mount to the car. It is possible, I have read, to mount 996/997 seats without the adaptors by cutting or bending a mounting tab on the seats. With the BK adaptors, the 996 seats and sliders will mount right in with no needs to cut/bend anything.

Hope this helps.
yes got it thanks
as i said in the original post... the gt3 euro buckets set i have are seats only - without any mounts or sliders
so it is a straighter shot for me to get side mounts and recaro sliders
Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

guys - i am finally getting around to try to install the 996 gt3 euro buckets into a 964 project car... thus reviving this thread

i am planning to use recaro sliders for standard retail pole position seats... now, which are right brey krause side mounts?

http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/215.htm

i have a set of standard aluminum recaro side mounts for pp's but evidently the distance between the mounting holes on the recaro mounts are over an inch longer than the mounting holes drilled into the seats -- looks like even though recaro made the gt3 euro buckets for porsche, they used different distance mounting holes in the porsche euro buckets (shorter) than in the recaro aftermarket products like pole position and profi's... ugh...
Old 01-31-2021, 04:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Been searching the forum with one eye and one eye on the Daytona 24h. Seems like the way to go short term is to mount the seats direct in the car. Plan is to do a custom interior down the road and that will be the time to cut the towers closer to the floor and move the data box out of the way,

Old 01-31-2021, 09:14 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

Wow, those seats look huge in there!
Old 01-31-2021, 09:46 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 370 Posts

Beautiful seat. If you’re looking for a temporary solution sans brackets (there’s no head room), you can mount them directly to a Planted bracket.

A sunroof delete could open up an additional 2” to 3” of head room. I’ve never used the sunroof in a 911, but I did hit the button in my 993 by accident once.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:18 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Sunroof delete and cutting of seat mounting points by the floor will happen when the complete interior comes out. Hopefully that will allow for sliders and still get a feel of sitting low in the car and not sitting on top of the car. Plan is to make the interior brown.

This is a 991gt3 seats but you get the point.

Quick Reply: 996 Euro buckets into a 964 - how to mount?