Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what Hardware do I need to install 996 Euro GT3 Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default what Hardware do I need to install 996 Euro GT3 Seats?

I am looking at seat options for me future DE car and consider the Recaro Pole Position and the 996 Euro GT3 seats.

I know that they can be fitted directly but the seat hight will be higher than stock which can be a problem when wearing a helmet. What hardware do I need to install the Euro GT3s in a lower position and how much will this roughly be for 2 seats?

If someone has done it, I would appreciate a pic too.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Recaro Sliders and Brey Krause side plates and sub belt mount and had good success although I had to drill holes in the sliders to get things where I wanted. There have been some recent threads where others prefered the Recaro side plates.

Sliders are 80ish and I think the BK side plates are 100-150 per seat, the sub mount was aother 80 or so.

I'll look for pix, am travelling this we.

Pete
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brey-Krause also has adapters that will let you mount the GT3 seat directly to the floor to give you additional headroom. If no one drives the car except you then you may want to consider doing it for at least the drivers seat.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 runners and hardware are EXACTLY the same as 993 ones - just turned around. I've gone through this so many times i've lost count but if you take the runners and brackets apart and swap the outer brackets over (so left seat has right bracket and vice versa) and same with inner brackets you will be ready. You have to file a couple of notches off.
I'm a short **** and have installed the 996 seats with the brackets around the normal way (this involves jacking up the REAR of the seat to make it level).
You can use the REAR seatbelt buckels adn bolt them to the front seat brackets too.
You don't need to buy anything!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

@ACEparts - how does the right hight change compared to stock? Is there a posting with pictures that explain in more details?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no pics. If you take the frames apart ( you have to anyway ) you'll figure it out I guarantee it! 996 gt3 brackets are identical to 993rs frames, just reversed. Had i not been so impatient to fit my seats in I might have rushed out to buy brackets too! 1 hour is all it will take. File, saw, drill.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I've posted this about a half a dozen times, but my old GT3 seats, which came out of a 986 (same thing as a 996), fit right into my 993 without any sort of modifications whatsoever. No hardware removal, no filing, no drilling no reversing . . . nothing. Just plopped 'em right in. Now, they sat too high, so I had to get Brey-Krause side mounts to bring me down to an acceptable level. Even then, I had to remove the cushioning foam and just sit on the empty leather covering, but at least I fit with a helmet on.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I am looking at seat options for me future DE car and consider the Recaro Pole Position and the 996 Euro GT3 seats.

I know that they can be fitted directly but the seat hight will be higher than stock which can be a problem when wearing a helmet. What hardware do I need to install the Euro GT3s in a lower position and how much will this roughly be for 2 seats?

If someone has done it, I would appreciate a pic too.

Thanks.
Here is a write up I did a few months back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-complete.html

I went with the BK adapter kit as I wanted to keep the stock side mounts and 996 sliders. I know you can go with the Recaro sliders and BK side mounts. With my initial setup, I noticed a loss of headroom and the seatback was too upright - not enough tilt. I am only 5'8", so I still have about an inch of room left between my helmet and the headliner. I finally got to check out another 993 with GT3 seats at the track a couple weeks ago. This one (owned and run by Rob at S-Car-Go Racing) has extra, lower holes drilled in the side mounts for the rear bolts, so the seat sits lower in the back. The bottom of the plastic bracket for the seatbelt pass-through does need to be shaved off to allow the seat to ride lower (see 1st attached pic). Also check the bottom of the seat to make sure there is enough clearance with the slider mechanism.

So I had the same mod done to my seats now and they're much more comfortable (my back doesn't hurt anymore) and there's a little more headroom. Sure I could have bolted the seats directly to the floor, but I wanted to keep the fore-aft adjustment. Check out the pics!

If you want more info on a Recaro PP setup, do a search - look for the thread posted by Bill Verburg.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: what Hardware do I need to install 996 Euro GT3 Seats?