Sponsored by:

Broke 5 sec 0-60 after adding Ruf chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Broke 5 sec 0-60 after adding Ruf chip

Couldn't wait until after break in to put Ruf chip back in. Idle much better again.

I ran about 12 runs on Thursday with the stock chip and the 2 best times I saw were in the 5.3s. I was a little disappointed as I expected more after all the work that has gone into my engine.

Put the Ruf chip in today and now she runs like I expected her to. ALl I can say is wow. Big difference even by seat of the pants feel. I hit a 4.8, a 4.9 and the worst time was a 5.1 with the Ruf chip.

Below is a screen shot. The first two runs are with the Ruf chip. The last two are the best out of about 12 with the stock chip.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Doug H; 01-03-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Also notice passing gear times are much quicker with the Ruf chip. Here are the peak horse power figures.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2004, 07:11 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 474 Posts

Hi Doug- what are you other mods on the engine besides the chip?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:26 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive. Think of what it will do to your pull out of the turns. Is this the standard screens from the G-Tech? I have never seen one used but have heard about them often. It looks like a good tool to track mods to the car.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I have a lot of internal work and am not sure of everything that has been done by the original owner when he spent about 10k on engine modifications, polishing, porting, balancing, pistons, MAF, Ruf chip and etc. I have since added new valves, head work, cat by-pass, GHL primary, secondary by-pass.

I am pleased as my car is cabriolet and is heavy. I have 18 inch wheels and a lot of heavy stereo gear. My sub box weighs 50 pounds, and I have three big amps (close to 90 pounds), and other electronics such as an electronic crossover and eq.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by 944Willie
Very impressive. Think of what it will do to your pull out of the turns. Is this the standard screens from the G-Tech? I have never seen one used but have heard about them often. It looks like a good tool to track mods to the car.
That is the G-Tech competition. I have both the pro and the competition model. The pro does not create the snap shots. The snap shots are very useful because you can see the steepness of the accelleration curve, the passing gear times, and incrimental times which help take the inconsistent launching issues of the the equation.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:43 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Doug,

Could you post the HP/Torque vs Rpm graph please. If you could do it in 2nd gear that'd be great as I will then have a direct comparison with my Gtech results....puts mine to shame!

Do you have the 1/4 mile time?

Did you lighten your car? 3200lbs seems low.....but that means the HP is lowballed if your car weight is indeed higher!

Please elaborate on mods as it is pretty amazing to achieve such results without going forced induction.....looks like you found the holy grail....$10k is not much for these results!!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I am clueless on actual weight and therefore guessing. Meant to weigh it last time it was in the shop and we will be weighing it in a week or two when I take it back for a valve adjust/check. I have not lightened it at all. If anything, I keep adding new stuff.

I also read about doing the hp check in second gear and just have not gotten a reading in that manner yet as I was focusing more on ET since I am not sure about weight.

I have not gotten any 1/4 mile times. My testing area is too small and is also a public side street between two office buildings. I may try and find a place late tonight to get a 1/4 mile run in.

The work I just had performed included lightweight valves, new valve springs and etc. with some special head work that my shop guarentees will increase accelleration. My shop was doing the same head work on 930 track car owned by another well known wrench with a nice shop in this area. I will pull my records to night and try to see what exactly had been done back in 1992/93. I just replaced a high performace cat with a cat by pass not knowing what was on there so I am a bit clueless about everything that has been done. My shop also pointed out lots of little things here and there they said they were replacing or upgrading. I could point most of the out if the motor was in front of me, but I have no idea of the part names or part numbers. Not counting a rebuild, there is about 17k in the engine work, but that includes two different exhaust systems extensive external and internal polishing, powder coating outside pieces, new shroud and etc.

I am pretty excited as everything has come together nicely and this car is right on the heels of my 04 996 now.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2004, 03:51 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Doug, to get a nice hp/torque curve you will need to do a run where you accelerate to about 4000rpm in 1st, then floor it in 2nd from 2500rpm to redline. In any case to see the full range you need to export the file to excel and replot the graph as the Gtech Pass software truncates too much. I've written to them and they say they will be correcting that problem in coming versions.....still spectacular results. I use 3362lbs with me inside.

Errr do you happen to live in a place with much higher air pressure or O2 content?? I really want to see how you did it so once you have found what was done on your car, would greatly appreciate if you could share
Old 01-04-2004, 06:44 AM
dove
Banned

Default Re: Broke 5 sec 0-60 after adding Ruf chip

Originally posted by Doug H
Couldn't wait until after break in to put Ruf chip back in. Idle much better again.

I ran about 12 runs on Thursday with the stock chip and the 2 best times I saw were in the 5.3s. I was a little disappointed as I expected more after all the work that has gone into my engine.

Put the Ruf chip in today and now she runs like I expected her to. ALl I can say is wow. Big difference even by seat of the pants feel. I hit a 4.8, a 4.9 and the worst time was a 5.1 with the Ruf chip.

Below is a screen shot. The first two runs are with the Ruf chip. The last two are the best out of about 12 with the stock chip.
Impressive Doug,0.3-0.4 per second quicker with a RUP chip.Now who's going to eat their words first regarding my previous re-chipping post???
The proof needed are in Dougs figures,same car same weight noticably quicker after re-chipping.Re-chipping does indeed work providing you get a good chip.
Paul
C2 cab (looking for a RUF chip)
Old 01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

Doug has about $10k in the engine as well. Rechipping is required to take advantage of the modifications. Rechipping a stock engine won`t bring the same kind of gains.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Paul,
Nobody is going to eat their words. Look how much money the previous owner put into this C2 and now how much money Doug has put into it. If you read the whole story and what has been done to this engine then the chip which RUF will openly tell you will only provide 10 to 15 HP at the flywheel on a standard DME and standard rest of the car is as Tony quite rightly saying. Using the modifications and the improvements already incorporated.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-04-2004, 12:00 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Doug,

Great work! Your 60 time is amazing when you consider that your 996 coupe is 200-300 lbs lighter and could only manage a 4.7.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:51 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by tonytaylor
Paul,

Doug has about $10k in the engine as well. Rechipping is required to take advantage of the modifications. Rechipping a stock engine won`t bring the same kind of gains.
So your saying that there is 0.3-0.4 plus gains on 0-60 times for Dougs car only when he uses a RUF chip because this goes with the engine mods??,so the other times with stock chip 5.3 5.4 arnt standard times for a C2 cab?sorry cos let me tell you give or take 0.1-0.2 secs these are standard 964 cab times,How do I know because I own a C2 cab that will do 0-60 in 5.5 secs.so where do the $10k engine mods come into the standard chip times??.
Adrian,So youve taken your car apart and written a book about it,it does not qualify you for engine mod advice cos yours cars very stock isnt it?. You can say all you like that there's only a 10-15 bhp gain,it doesent work like that its where the power is concentrated to the rev range.
Let me tell about a pal of mine who's owns a 2.5 dse range rover who was dissapointed with sluggish engine response.I drove his car before and after the chip was fitted and with only the claimed 14 bhp chip gain
there was a huge difference to the acceleration.If your claims are true chip firms would have so many law suits against them that it would be pointless actually selling them.
Paul
C2 cab
Old 01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Paul,

To qualify the results requires both sets of mods. alone in isolation very little is gained.
The chip being the part that pulls all the parts together, as in the sum of all the parts is greater than the individual parts alone.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Broke 5 sec 0-60 after adding Ruf chip