Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Issue While Coasting Down Hills.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018 | 03:00 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Default Throttle Issue While Coasting Down Hills.....

I wish I were better at giving an accurate description, but here is what I have going on.

While coasting down hills where I'm not using the throttle, there seems to be a fuel delivery issue once I'm initially back on the throttle. It's as if the car is not even running while giving it throttle then it will lurch to life after a couple/few blurps, as if it's starving for fuel. Nothing else is behaving oddly. The car drives very strong. Idles as it should, even during the episodes I've described, though I'm not at a standstill when it happens. If I'm coasting up to traffic on the highway, this does not happen. No codes are showing.

Anyone else experience this?

Could it be timing?
Old 05-03-2018 | 03:44 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

I experienced that before with my previous car, sub 3K RPM with no throttle, but that went away after installing a Wong chip.
Fast forward to the new car, and I started experiencing it again (stock chip). Just installed Wong chip, so will report back later after some more miles.
Old 05-03-2018 | 03:52 PM
Hem
Instructor

My '91 does this as well.
Old 05-03-2018 | 04:00 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I experienced that before with my previous car, sub 3K RPM with no throttle, but that went away after installing a Wong chip.
Fast forward to the new car, and I started experiencing it again (stock chip). Just installed Wong chip, so will report back later after some more miles.

Funny you've said that........ I installed a Wong chip after about 2 months of ownership and am not 100% certain this condition existed prior to the Wong chip upgrade. So that the chip may have some bearing on the situation has crossed my mind too.
Old 05-03-2018 | 04:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^
Yeah, I didn't want to definitely say the new chip fixed the problem. I hadn't noticed the issue in a long time with my previous car, then all of a sudden experienced it with the new car.
Regardless, I try to replicate the situation this weekend and see what happens...
Old 05-03-2018 | 04:21 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Check that your idle switch is working. I had a similar issue a week ago when I installed some new Coco Mats. The drivers mat was slightly covering the bottom of the throttle pedal, so the idle switch wasn’t engaging. Moved the mat back, problem solved. Now I need to put some clips on the mat to keep them from moving forward again.
Old 05-03-2018 | 05:29 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

No kidding, my floor mat is definitely riding up the bottom of the throttle pedal. Enough so that I've wondered more than once if they're the correct mats. I never would have suspected that being the issue.

I drove the 64 to work today. I'm giving your suggestion a shot very shortly.

I appreciate the replies, everyone.
Old 05-03-2018 | 07:35 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

It's a common issue and I posted on this quite a few years ago. Try swapping your DME relay. This fixed the issue on mine. And be sure to give it a proper Italian tune up after installing the new one.
Old 05-03-2018 | 10:15 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

I have this exact same issue. I was just experiencing it yesterday and it’s been a problem since I’ve owned the car almost half a year. It’s really bad when coasting down a mountainside behind traffic for example. I’ve replaced the dme relay to no avail (I was a problem where the engine would just cut out entirely and not re start.)

I’m going to go thru the throttle cable adjustment etc when I get back from my trip- but the problem happens with the accelerator pedal slightly depressed- so the idle switch has no relation as far as I can tell.

Pete

Pete
Old 05-03-2018 | 11:09 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
No kidding, my floor mat is definitely riding up the bottom of the throttle pedal. Enough so that I've wondered more than once if they're the correct mats. I never would have suspected that being the issue.

I drove the 64 to work today. I'm giving your suggestion a shot very shortly.

I appreciate the replies, everyone.
BTW, I verified that the idle micro switch was not being engage with my scan tool, so I'm very confident that it was my issue. Jason, or someone else can jump in here, but my guess is that if the idle micro switch does not engage the engine may run too rich (or too lean???)?
Old 05-04-2018 | 12:50 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Good info! Having driven after my previous post I realized that it’s akways at very low throttle input and began to think maybe the micro switch was sticking. I found that a gentle throttle input was more likely to cause the problem than a quicker one.

Pete

Just wanted to add that the problem is very intermittent in my case. It happens most with long periods when I’m basically keeping the engine speed near the speed of the car- neither accelerating or decelerating.

P
Old 05-04-2018 | 02:08 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Tested the "move the floor mat" theory and didn't have success. Going to look into the other suggestions this weekend. Attending an event tomorrow that will have plenty of downhill coasting......

Y'all have a good one.
Old 05-04-2018 | 03:35 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
Tested the "move the floor mat" theory and didn't have success. Going to look into the other suggestions this weekend. Attending an event tomorrow that will have plenty of downhill coasting......

Y'all have a good one.
If you haven't done so, you still may want to connect a scantool to verify that your idle microswitch is functioning properly.
Old 05-04-2018 | 03:38 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The other common cause for this problem can be resolved by retracking the AFM. And one suggestion for that, is to move the PCB a millimeter vertically and not adjust the arm (like all the Porsche web guides suggest), so that tension on the resistance track remains the same.
Old 05-06-2018 | 02:55 PM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Hi
My car does the same most noticeable when applying light throttle after a long descent, it feels as though the engine has cut out initially then it picks up.
Only happens after an extended period of coasting.

Quick Reply: Throttle Issue While Coasting Down Hills.....