Sponsored by:

targa wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 AM
drjohn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default targa wind noise

I figure it is the nature of the beast! I had my top restored by Dan in Bordentown, NJ. It appears to be well done. I changed all of the seals on the car. I STILL have wind noise from the upper right and left corners. Any ideas?
thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Revvin_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it’s the nature of the beast. I used to have a ‘77 Targa. I had Dan rebuild the top (great job) and I replaced all the seals, carefully shaving them and tweaking them to try and make everything fit nice and tight. End result? It was still loud and leaked water.

I have heard legends of mythical Targas that are relatively quiet and water tight, but never seen or been in one. They are best with the top off 😎

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The previous owner of my car used duct tape at the leading edge of the top and he said that did the job. That was after he had the top rebuilt by a local guy which didn’t really understand how to rebuild them. Took me forever to remove the tape residue!

I was planning on having Dan rebuild mine too but it sounds like I should save my money as it doesn’t make a difference.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

There is something that has worked for me for years - foam rolls you can buy in any hardware store or Lowes / Home Depot that is used to fill cracks in concrete. It comes in different thickness and is flexible. I squeeze it into the groove of the top windshield seal. It has significantly cut down on wind noise and no leaks - unless I am driving through a major downpour.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
P964nut
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I had a nearly new SC Targa many moons ago that went back to the OPC several times and the leaks were never fixed. The solution in the end was to remove the passenger foot-well carpet and keep a large sponge handy. Oh well!
The car generates a low pressure area above the roof at speed. Consequently the flexible roof wants to rise into the low pressure and in doing so slightly reduces pressure on the folding frame which then flexes a little from both front and back towards the middle. This allows the roof frame to flex a little more, and in so doing opens up the seals slightly, so creating increasing wind noise as speed increases.
I know of someone in the UK who made up a carbon rod of perfect length for his car to insert between the front and back of the removable roof frame, thereby reducing any flex and in theory helping keep the seals tight. He says its works well and also gives some reassurance that at really high speeds the roof is not going to get sucked out and disappear down the road.
My 964 C2 has been away for work for several months now and is due back in a couple of weeks. I've asked the guys to make up a carbon rod with custom brackets to fit the back and front of the roof frame together with an integral locking/tensioner to provide a tight fit that can be easily removed to get the roof off. New roof seals fitted too.
I'll let you have an update in a couple of weeks together with some photos. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:30 PM
P964nut
Intermediate

Having completed a few hundred miles now with this roof brace in place, I'm sure that it's helped reduce wind noise at speed. It can be tightened up (11mm spanner/wrench) once the roof has been normally located and locked in place using the OEM handles. The main benefit is at higher speeds when the roof wants to lift and flex in a little on itself. It provides a certain amount of peace of mind at much higher speeds too as it's just about impossible for the roof to lift off completely with this in place. I've seen that Targa roofs have been stolen off parked cars, so perhaps it makes theft a little less likely too. It's an easy to do improvement on all Targas.

Last edited by P964nut; 06-03-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Best fix is buy a coupe. Targas have their charms, and wind noise is one of them :-)
Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted a coupe, but my first 911 was a Targa. My top wasn't too bad, but noise and occasional water intrusion was part of it. But.........There was NOTHING better than heading out to the Targa on a summer night in Texas, sliding into the drivers seat with no roof to bother you, and head off to the hill country for a quick drive. It was just such a perfect experience for me, I certainly miss it....but not enough to give up the coupe for the other 360 days of the year
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by P964nut

Having completed a few hundred miles now with this roof brace in place, I'm sure that it's helped reduce wind noise at speed. It can be tightened up (11mm spanner/wrench) once the roof has been normally located and locked in place using the OEM handles. The main benefit is at higher speeds when the roof wants to lift and flex in a little on itself. It provides a certain amount of peace of mind at much higher speeds too as it's just about impossible for the roof to lift off completely with this in place. I've seen that Targa roofs have been stolen off parked cars, so perhaps it makes theft a little less likely too. It's an easy to do improvement on all Targas.
Where did you get the brace?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:58 AM
P964nut
Intermediate

Here's the link... Speak to Wayne

Norfolk Premier Coachworks
Old 06-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drjohn
I figure it is the nature of the beast! I had my top restored by Dan in Bordentown, NJ. It appears to be well done. I changed all of the seals on the car. I STILL have wind noise from the upper right and left corners. Any ideas?
thanks
Talk to Dan
He rebuilds them on a JIG and they are usually spot on.

You wind noise may be coming from the windows which are not adjusted right .
Elliot

Quick Reply: targa wind noise