Sponsored by:

Singer Ordering Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
my ordering advice? don't bother - buy a nice 964 RS - invest the rest of the money wisely.
thank me later.
Great advice. 964 RS a way better driving experience.

Singer is what it is.....A great marketing company.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Great advice. 964 RS a way better driving experience.

Singer is what it is.....A great marketing company.
And Porsche is a better one.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Best to call Rob at Singer and see if there are any other owners willing to sell. There is a special web site reserved for owners and many cars are traded there, but Rob will know of any that are coming up. Saves time and all cars are in excellent condition obviously. But you get someone else's dream, if it fits yours, so much the better, but for the money, waiting a year to get your own special build might be a better option.
I have been through the Singer assembly line, it is quite remarkable, the attention to detail would make Porsche proud. In fact, Porsche sued Singer to have their name removed from the cars, once the factory rep saw an actual car, they dropped the suit. Tells you something.
Speaking personally, seeing as you asked, I would be a little nervous driving a finished Singer to anything other than a car show. They trade hands on average at a %30 premium from original price. It was bad enough for me at my last track day; short shifting, waving pretty much everyone past, babying the car, and I bought it for $15k! As I get older and the car goes up in value, I seem to be getting slower.

But if you have the ******, the cars are fantastic and must be an awesome drive in anger.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Personally if I had the cash to build my own Singer I would be driving it! The whole point of building these cars is creating driving perfection, not just visual perfection.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
my ordering advice? don't bother - buy a nice 964 RS - invest the rest of the money wisely.
thank me later.
Originally Posted by Surge74
Lol. Thanks but I’m set on the Singer.
Find me a brand new 964 Rs which hasn’t been flogged on the track.
Find an RS, Have it restored entirely. Thank us later.
Of course, it is a matter of opinion, and we'd be interested in the process anyway.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Obviously will contact Singer shortly. Lead time is 1 year, not 3, from my reading. But I’ll wait 3 if need be. Not a big deal.

I’ve been waiting 3 years for my resto-modded speaker horns (which cost about the same!).
So you're saying you're spending nearly $700k on speaker horns?? I consider myself a long time audiophile and I am at a loss. I have seen people spend half that much on a full system with dedicated room and power but even that wasn't worth the money spent IMO over a system costing considerably less.

I am in the camp of the Singer being the emperors new cloths syndrome. The craftsmanship is very nice but engines and suspensions are what IMO is worth spending the money on, the rest I see no need for and I am not a fan on the overall looks. I prefer a Wide body 964 over the pseudo back date. At the end of the day it is still based on the heart and soul of a 964 and you can achieve the same end result and still have it look like a 964 which IMO is a better looking vehicle with classic lines.

A well maintained 964 is a trouble free car. If you don't have a donor car yet I think you will find it isn't as easy to find one as you think. What is left of the few thousand US Spec cars that remain are either basket cases Singer won't touch or the more pristine examples which is probably one of the most highly sought after air-cooled 911's there is.

I wish you luck it is your money so spend it as you like I just will never have the appreciation for these as I would a 3.8RS or 3.6RS which are more desirable IMO.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-09-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So you're saying you're spending nearly $700k on speaker horns?? I consider myself a long time audiophile and I am at a loss. I have seen people spend half that much on a full system with dedicated room and power but even that wasn't worth the money spent IMO over a system costing considerably less.

I am in the camp of the Singer being the emperors new cloths syndrome. The craftsmanship is very nice but engines and suspensions are what IMO is worth spending the money on, the rest I see no need for and I am not a fan on the overall looks. I prefer a Wide body 964 over the pseudo back date. At the end of the day it is still based on the heart and sole of a 964 and you can achieve the same end result and still have it look like a 964 which IMO is a better looking vehicle with classic lines.

A well maintained 964 is a trouble free car. If you don't have a donor car yet I think you will find it isn't as easy to find one as you think. What is left of the few thousand US Spec cars that remain are either basket cases Singer won't touch or the more pristine examples which is probably one of the most highly sought after air-cooled 911's there is.

I wish you luck it is your money so spend it as you like I just will never have the appreciation for these as I would a 3.8RS or 3.6RS which are more desirable IMO.
Very well said as usual Anthony
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Another one here who would go for a Porsche limited run car (RS, GT, etc) vs. a Singer. The reason why is that those cars would allow me to travel back in history, they are a piece of the brand history that will never come back and feel special with all their outdated technologies. They represent Porsche vision in those years.

And if there is one thing you can't buy with any type money is time, and I value that. Stupid things like knowing it went through the assembly plant in 1994 and nobody touched it in 24 years is what makes me excited. I know, pathetic.

And it's very subjective and none of us is right
Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Another one here who would go for a Porsche limited run car (RS, GT, etc) vs. a Singer. The reason why is that those cars would allow me to travel back in history, they are a piece of the brand history that will never come back and feel special with all their outdated technologies. They represent Porsche vision in those years.

And if there is one thing you can't buy with any type money is time, and I value that. Stupid things like knowing it went through the assembly plant in 1994 and nobody touched it in 24 years is what makes me excited. I know, pathetic.

And it's very subjective and none of us is right
I wholeheartedly agree, that accurately describes the reasons I’m attracted to older cars. If it were my money I would take time to find the nicest examples of a 964 RS and 959. Then I would buy a beat longhood or 964 and hot rod it myself using local shops. Overall cost for all this would be about 1.5 million for the three cars but you would have three very unique Porsches and none will likely depreciate.

But as noted, we all have different tastes and I can see the attraction to the Singer too.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

I know of a Rubystone 964 RS. Fully restored and sorted. It will look and drive like new.

Put it next to a singer in any parking lot and see the reaction.

Go drive it against a singer on a twisty road or race track. Singer will not out perform it.

The 964 RS does it all as good as any Porsche ever built. Singer not so much. Car is sexy but like most sexy things in life lacks substance.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Go drive it against a singer on a twisty road or race track. Singer will not out perform it.
But it's more than just performance! I don't care about that, I'm driving a Rubistone RS! Holy ****!

Y'all can be faster I'm in a RS!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe ask the Carrera GT subforum. There's ballers on there who have a CGT, a Singer, and other pretty things in their garage.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:23 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Singer thing is a fad. For that money (plus providing a decent donor car) I think you should get a mint 964 RS, hell, maybe a 993 RS too.

Lot of great examples in Japan. Thomas Shmitz (no affiliation) always has some mint examples.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

If you are stuck on a Singer I would do a mint green car and ask for a discount to leave all the fancy crap off it. Lighten it up and have someone else do the suspension set up like Rothsport or Canepa. Also needs a shorter gear box and different wheels and tires. That would be a proper Siger. Call it an RS version.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:12 PM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of rarity, I'll warrant that there will be more Singers on the road than 964 RSs in short order. I don't believe Porsche built significantly more than 2,000 RSs. They'll be the motoring equivalent of "unobtainium" long before any Singer.

Quick Reply: Singer Ordering Advice?