How do we feel about these gear ratios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Thanks Bill- do you happen to know the ratios on that 6 speed? Also would you explain the thrust units? If I understand correctly it’s feet per second- so for 3rd Gear the 6 speed is showing approx avg of say 1.25 ft/s2 over the 5 speed as it accelerats up to peak torque.

Pete
That's your transmission
Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Awesome- I thought so but didn't wsnt to assume. Thanks!

Pete
Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

I’ve been thinking this over and - well- IF the gears are available and IF I can afford them I think changing 4/5/6 as follows would be the perfect set for me.

The end result is the gears 1-5 of G50/21 with the g50/03 5th Gear ratio at 6th. I love 5th in my stock g50/03.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:46 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

That's a great little website!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Gearing calculator

I like the “auto shift” feature as well. I think it’s a cool site and decided to make a small donation to blue dragon because the site has been in fact quite useful.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to follow up with this. I ended up going way further than I originally thought. I spent a lot of time driving my 5 speed on the street as well as the track and really thought about what I wanted. I did this on my bmw 2002tii as well- basically set the 5th gear at the same ratio as 4th in the box I was replacing and the results were right on.

Driving the 5 speed I was really happy with 5th gear ratio on the street and didn’t need a higher gear at Suzuka. I also decided based on advice here on the forum as well as from Matt at Guard that I did not want a higher first on the street so I wanted to stick with the 3.50. I didn’t want to have the 1st/2nd gap in these 6th speed box. Additionally Idid not want a higher 2nd as it is my passing gear on local roads and japanese drivers are.... well to put it nicely- overly safe. That all said once I realized all this I might have just stuck with the 5 speed gearing had I not already had the 6 speed box at Bill Rader’s shop awaiting my instructions. If I were not going to regear then I would definitly prefer the 5 speed with its nice even spreads between gears.

Also wanted a factory gear for 6th to keep it quite at cruise speeds- 0.857. That was the first problem as there were none available from Motorsports. However I managed to find a good used one at Autometrics in N.C. Next up was the mainshaft- which I not planning on doing until Bill mentioned that he had a good used one with a 3.50 gear set. Then in was just a matter of dividing the gears between 1 and 6.

In the end I came up with sort of a street version of the g50/30- the difference being the lower 3.50 1st.

Matt and Bill R. were both very accommodating and gave great advice- albeit from different points of view which was perfect in terms of helping me define my interests. Bill recommended the red set of gears. The green set is the stock 5 speed and the blue set is my tweak and final choice. I basically traded off a little of a gap between 1st an second for less of a gap between 4th and 5th. Of course this will be barely noticeable but if i’m this far I might as well go for it.

I stayed with the stock LSD stock ramps as per Bill’s advice and I asked to increase the lockup to 40/60.

I went with steel syncros on 2,3,4,5 and left 1st and 6th as is.

Ready to ship.

The box is in customs now and will be here this week. Not going to put it in right away because I want to do a good baseline with the engine out and that would keep me from having the car in the fall. Winter project!

Thanks to everyone for giving advice and again to Bill V for getting me started with his charts.

Pete

Old 11-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Finally got the 6 speed in! Don't ask why it took long........

Basically its very similar to the g50/30 but just a bit longer (lower 1st and higher 6th.)

So- at first I was not sure if I was going to like it. It really changed the character of the car going to the light weight flywheel/guards gears combo- plus the stiffer front mount on the transmission. Its a lot louder and the clutch is heavy- so I thought. But once I took it out for a good drive- man its fantastic. The tighter box really shines. With the slower drivers here in Japan I really wanted a lower 2nd for passing and its perfect now- right at the beginning of the power band so the car just takes off when I get a clear shot. Also the mountain roads here are tight so 2nd really needed to be lower for sharp low speed corners. Then off to 3,4,5 in no time. The gears whine when your get on the gas but if you take it easy they are not too bad. By the time you get to 5th at full gallop it rewards with the most evil high pitch whine- I love it. And then 6th as planned is nice and quiet. And the clutch- I got used to it pretty quick. May consider the MPL slave cylinder if it proves to be annoying in practical use.

So glad I stuck with the stock 3.50 first instead of considering a 3.154 first. Going higher would be a drag in stop and go traffic with the light weight flywheel. 1st to 2nd drop is very low at lower speeds and that is the only complaint. its like 800rpms. That said I wouldn't change either gear. Get 1st in redline and 2nd pops you right back into the top of the power curve but for normal driving it feels like you almost accomplished nothing.

I will probably go back to the stock nose mount on the transmission. Rear mounts are Wevo blacks- keeping those.

I think the gear range will match the character of the next engine build even better than the stock engine in the car now. The 3.8 with Schrick cams should shift the power even further up the power band so shifting at redline will bring the revs to the spot that has the same power output as redline.

Really gets going fast though- I'm at 160kph (100mph) much quicker than the stock 5 speed. Cant wait to try it out at Suzuka.

Pete

Last edited by Peteinjp; 11-24-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
...The gears whine when your get on the gas but if you take it easy they are not too bad. By the time you get to 5th at full gallop it rewards with the most evil high pitch whine- I love it
Love that sound when listening to onboard video of cup cars. Mega!

Happy for you, as you had to make a lot of unknown decisions and it would be easy to be disappointed.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:06 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Well- bit of an issue. I really thought the 1st - 2nd drop was too tight. I measured the speeds at 3000rpm in each gear and this is what I got:

First is WAY off and all the rest are close. Looks like the first gear ratio is closer to 2.5.... These kinds of issues are such a drag when your shipping internationally! We'll see how it pans out but it need to be fixed. Bummed to have to pull the engine trans out after having the car off the road for 2 years!

Pete

Quick Reply: How do we feel about these gear ratios?