Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:46 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks again for the messages. I'll be back at it with the next car, it just might take awhile as there seem to be very few cars on the market. Such a different market 10 years later... I just need to be patient.

I've settled the claim with Hagerty and actually ended up buying the car back and selling the it off for a little more money. It's off to Europe now, where someone has a project in mind. I'm sure we'll see it again on this forum, but in a slightly different form.

So in the end, Hargerty was easy to work with. Their first number was ridiculous, but I guess that's part of the game, fortunately they quickly adjusted and ended up being very fair. Thank you to the enthusiasts at Hagerty for working with me. The attention this thread received may have also helped!

I wanted to reply to the group drive comments. I know you guys weren't there, but this happened when we were done driving, at the edge of town. All the cars had been sitting at an intersection for at least 10 seconds. Nobody was doing anything crazy, it was just an accident. Group drives aren't for everyone, but I really enjoy seeing a group of these cars out in the wild and can't wait until I'm back out there again with the boys!

Back to 964 shopping...
Old 03-23-2018, 03:49 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

I'm heading to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area this weekend for a couple of days to visit my brother.

Any good 964s or R Gruppe cars for sale in the area?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I'm heading to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area this weekend for a couple of days to visit my brother.

Any good 964s or R Gruppe cars for sale in the area?
Perfect outcome. Nice work.

I'm in N Scottsdale. If you get time and want to come up to the house. I have a 964RS and a Mint green 964 that is set up perfect. We can take a drive. Jeff Gamroth hit the sweet spot with the few tasteful mods. May give you a baseline for the next project.

Pm Me I with send me your number.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First , I am sorry you went through this. It is what we all dread. Also I want to thank you for opening our eyes to the insurance coverages that we have on our cars.

Since this has turned into an insurance coverage thread, I am confused and have a few questions.

Jetta's Insurer is State Farm and the other cars insurer is Hagerty. Is that correct? It is my understanding that if your own policy has an "agreed value" it doesn't matter what the other guys insurance
is willing to pay. In this case, the other guys insurance, Hagerty, agreed to cover the total loss at a higher value, not State Farm. Am I correct?

Isn't the normal process of accident claims is to deal with your own insurance company, policy, and coverage, and let your insurance company go after the other guys insurance company?
What is the point of an Agreed Value policy if I have to count on the other guys coverage?

I have also heard that no major auto insurer (Geico, Allstate, StateFarm) will provide true "agreed value" coverage. I shopped around. They may sweet talk you into thinking that they will pay a fair value, but all major carriers insure based on " Actual Cash Value." In other words, blue book value. You have to insure with a company that deals in specifically in Agreed Value policies, ie Hagerty or Leland, and that Agreed Value amount is on your policy and guaranteed. You tell the insurance company the amount you want to be covered for and they write a policy specifically for that value, not " cash value" blue book value.

Am I understanding this right? The other persons insurance should have no effect on your personal vehicle coverage and policy??
Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw that thread after I went through the Cobalt one.
I am very glad that eventually everything turned out so well in the end.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

from my new car thread (Getting used to the new color: Cobalt) , but it also belongs here as a way of closing out this chapter...

Originally Posted by Mezger
Just look what I‘ve stumbled over...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...59362-216-5977
Nice find Mezger! I was wondering when it would surface again?

Wow, $45,000 US dollars!
It was a great driving 964, plus owned by a Rennlister...

Quick Reply: Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!