Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping a 964 on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:35 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a bit of a break, due mainly to the extended season of rain we seem to be having, I was finally able to get a few hours work in on the Black Pig.

Started tidying up the wiring again. Pulled all the interior lights and most of the seat wiring. Not sure if I will chop it all out or safely wrap it up (just in case) so now i have deleted; Headlight washers with motor, large washer reservoir, intensive washer has been used as only washer, front fogs, sunroof, rear wiper, interior lights, side indicators ( will be relocated). Considering deleting, rear screen demist, rear fogs, all seat electrics ( need new seats first) rear speakers, heated washer jets, amp and anything else I find along the way which is useless. managed to get a good coat of underseal on the inner wings and fit some grommets inside the car using a free flowing silicone to keep the moisture/water out. Have also just got rid of the spoiler motor, control box, wiring and will replace the spoiler with some mesh. I was unsure if the spoiler control box also has some sort of link to the speedo, hopefully it will still work!

Last edited by 5hrine; 04-14-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 04-14-2018, 05:54 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Silicone under and around the grommet, should keep water out. Will probably underseal it too.

Cleaned the inner wing and then applied a nice coat of underseal. Will be removing all the front suspension some time and will apply more then.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 5hrine

Silicone under and around the grommet, should keep water out. Will probably underseal it too.

Cleaned the inner wing and then applied a nice coat of underseal. Will be removing all the front suspension some time and will apply more then.
Great job on your 964, Do you see a part number on that plug just above the large plug withe harness coming through, I you find the part number for that plug can you PM me, Thank you
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Great job on your 964, Do you see a part number on that plug just above the large plug withe harness coming through, I you find the part number for that plug can you PM me, Thank you
There is no part number. I just used some blind grommets for some similar holes.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The large rubber plugs (7) are part no. 99970319540, and the smaller plugs (2) are part no. 99970319640. I thought I found the part number for the two little cone shaped plugs in the floor, but the ones I found are too small. If anyone has the part no. for the cone shaped plugs (2), please share.

All the body plugs are Audi/VW parts (ex. 999-703-195-40 was originally 803-803-583). So if you know the dimensions of the hole its not too bad to find the cover/sealing plug in those PET catalogs. Can you post a photo of the cone shaped plugs and the general location (i'm away from cars in NE until summer).
Old 04-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Thanks Jason,

Here’s a photo of the cone shaped plugs next to the other round plugs. It’s been a while since I removed them, and the car is gutted, but I think they were set in the floor in the rear footwells. I will have a look tonight and measure the hole.

Jim

Cone shaped plugs at bottom
Old 04-16-2018, 05:09 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Thanks Jason,

Here’s a photo of the cone shaped plugs next to the other round plugs. It’s been a while since I removed them, and the car is gutted, but I think they were set in the floor in the rear footwells. I will have a look tonight and measure the hole.

Jim

Cone shaped plugs at bottom
I am not sure why they are cone shaped. I think a normal blind grommed would work if you couldn't get the correct cone shaped plug. I am sure there is a reason, but as long as it keeps the water out.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

All the body plugs are Audi/VW parts (ex. 999-703-195-40 was originally 803-803-583). So if you know the dimensions of the hole its not too bad to find the cover/sealing plug in those PET catalogs. Can you post a photo of the cone shaped plugs and the general location (i'm away from cars in NE until summer).
Here’s a photo of the location with a measuring tape. Looks to be about 10mm. It would be great to have the proper stock plug for this, thanks.

Jim

Hole is located here in the rear floor board just under the cable outlet.

Here’s a closeup
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I am not sure why they are cone shaped. I think a normal blind grommed would work if you couldn't get the correct cone shaped plug. I am sure there is a reason, but as long as it keeps the water out.
I’m guessing they’re cone shaped so that any accumulating moisture down below drains down and away from the floor boards. I’m on a mission to restore the car with all OEM equipment (except the suspension and mods of course ).

So you have a black pig and I have a white pig. LOL. Keep up the great work on your car. These cars are worth the effort.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:46 AM
5hrine
Instructor

I’m guessing they’re cone shaped so that any accumulating moisture down below drains down and away from the floor boards. I’m on a mission to restore the car with all OEM equipment (except the suspension and mods of course ).

So you have a black pig and I have a white pig. LOL. Keep up the great work on your car. These cars are worth the effort.
Its taking much longer to sort out than I hoped, mainly due to all the bad weather we have been experiencing. Hopefully get a few more hours in soon.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:43 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Its taking much longer to sort out than I hoped, mainly due to all the bad weather we have been experiencing. Hopefully get a few more hours in soon.
You've got a week of decent weather before we're back to rain

I would love to pull the wings like yourself but I've not got the time and one of the wings has the spot weld, so I'm getting a body shop to do this for me, along with some other work, so made sense...
I will then concentrate on stripping the interior once it's back

Keep up the good work and keep those posts coming.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

It would be great to have the proper stock plug for this, thanks.
VW/Audi Part #N0200223
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
VW/Audi Part #N0200223
Plugs ordered, thank you Sir!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964George
You've got a week of decent weather before we're back to rain

I would love to pull the wings like yourself but I've not got the time and one of the wings has the spot weld, so I'm getting a body shop to do this for me, along with some other work, so made sense...
I will then concentrate on stripping the interior once it's back

Keep up the good work and keep those posts coming.
Managed a bit of time on the car. Decided to sort the suspension. One thing lead to another and now I have the whole steering assembly off except for the rack. Refurb bushes and clean up and make good all the other bits. I am still awaiting the Fenn Lane sunroof panel so I needed something to keep me busy. Hopefully get some pictures posted.

Last edited by 5hrine; 04-20-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Managed a bit of time on the car. Decided to sort the suspension. One thing lead to another and now I have the whole steering assembly off except for the rack. Refurb bushes and clean up and make good all the other bits. I am still awaiting the Fenn Lane sunroof panel so I needed something to keep me busy. Hopefully get some pictures posted.
The Devil makes work for idle hands...

Quick Reply: Keeping a 964 on the road.