Sponsored by:

More Water Ingress

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM
rjh58
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Where did you get the bonnet seal from? Also, is the replacement of the front trunk seal something someone could do without a lot of tools and technical know how or better done at a shop?

Thanks

Rob
Old 02-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a frunk seal from Porsche dealer,
https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D
pull the old one out, clean out the old glue and glue the new one in using black weatherstrip adhesive. Cleaning the old glue takes time but can be done. 3M makes an adhesive remover that helps, so does a plastic scraper. I also filled around and under the seal using 3M bedding compound to keep water out from under the seal (in case the weatherstrip adhesive didn’t adhere completely. Bedding compound is not OEM but it’s important to keep water out from under the weatherstrip otherwise rust will occur.
Cut a short piece of rubber vacuum hose on an angle and push it over the weatherstrip adhesive tube tip, this makes it really easy to apply and spread the adhesive without making a big mess.
Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519875589&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+weather+strip+adhesive&dpID=41hizfT36%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519875589&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+weather+strip+adhesive&dpID=41hizfT36%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08509-Bedding-Compound-Cartridge/dp/B000PF13JW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519875655&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+bedding+and+glazing+compound https://www.amazon.com/3M-08509-Bedding-Compound-Cartridge/dp/B000PF13JW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519875655&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+bedding+and+glazing+compound
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjh58
Hi

Where did you get the bonnet seal from? Also, is the replacement of the front trunk seal something someone could do without a lot of tools and technical know how or better done at a shop?

Thanks

Rob
If you are in the UK, you can get the seal from type911. As 540964 says, its a question of cleaning up the area and then ensuring it is sealed well to stop any water ingress.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:14 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I washed the 964 last night and then noticed some water ingress inside the frunk and somehow inside the side vents.
My frunk seal is split in the left top corner and I suppose that is what could lead to water entering the frunk area and pool (see area with surface rust), however I am not seeing any water drops anywhere that would support this.. Any other suggestions?

The most puzzling part is that I have the dash part to work on some electrical and I noticed water in the left side vent after washing the 964. I have no idea where this could be coming from, any ideas?

Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
The most puzzling part is that I have the dash part to work on some electrical and I noticed water in the left side vent after washing the 964. I have no idea where this could be coming from, any ideas?
My WAG is that the evaporator box drains are clogged, though it doesn't make sense as floor vents would get wet first due to the HVAC suitcase's outlets. Perhaps if you pop the blower covers you might see some evidence of water pooling. Aside from that I don't have anything.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 PM
5hrine
Instructor

I washed the 964 last night and then noticed some water ingress inside the frunk and somehow inside the side vents.
My frunk seal is split in the left top corner and I suppose that is what could lead to water entering the frunk area and pool (see area with surface rust), however I am not seeing any water drops anywhere that would support this.. Any other suggestions?

could be running down from the scuttle panel under the broken seal and then dripping down onto the foam heater vent gasket. It then drops into the front footwells. Or running down the seal channel and dripping down at the join with the front bumper and getting into the trunk that way. I am slowly stripping the front end to chase the leaks. Just be systematic as you would be with electrical issues and it will surface eventually. Good luck .
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
My WAG is that the evaporator box drains are clogged, though it doesn't make sense as floor vents would get wet first due to the HVAC suitcase's outlets.
Originally Posted by 5hrine
could be running down from the scuttle panel under the broken seal and then dripping down onto the foam heater vent gasket. It then drops into the front footwells.
That's the thing that is strange, the carpets are bone dry, there is no water dripping inside, it just pools in the dash vent. Upon further looking at this diagram, I may look into the connection between 1 (where the water pools), 1A, and 4 and see if it could be the culprit.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the upper bellows, fresh air into suitcase. If not fitted properly water will leak into the frunk area and likely run down through the penetrations for ducts into the passenger compartment. Number 23 on this drawing.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Try the talc trick. It helps locate where the water is running to/ getting in.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 AM
5hrine
Instructor

The water sitting deep in the frunk, or Froot as we should call it here in the U.K !? (top pic) could be coming from the inner wing joint. I traced water coming down from the join between the inner/outer wing and running down a seam into the front boot space, then running backwards until it finds the lowest point. I will be seam sealing all joints/seams and then probably underseal over on both sides.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:53 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Had my bonnet seal replaced recently but it appears that I still have a leak...
its coming in via the heater elbow as described by 5hrine!
I felt it and the sponge seal is soaking wet!

Drivers footwell...

Between the drivers seat and sill...

Rear footwell...

Could this be the cause?
Kink in wing seal at top corner of bonnet...
More investigation needed!
Dread to think what state the pedal box is in!
Might be doing the carpet strip out sooner than I thought

Old 03-31-2018, 08:22 AM
5hrine
Instructor

If I was you I would remove the wings. I took both mine off and revealed some rust just up where the seal is kinked on yours. It's a bit of a pain but worth it in the long run. I used phosphoric acid to neutralise the rust area after stripping to bare metal.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

I fought water ingress for a long time. There are likely a number of little things. The kink in the wing seal not helping. I had to reinstall the bonnet seal a half-dozen times to get it just perfect and water tight. Any imperfection in adhesion will result in a leak. Fix the split with a little 3M adhesive.

For the leak in that little cubby, these are the places where i found watering coming into the frunk on my car: windshield wiper seals, washer fluid seals, fresh air inlet seals, and a marginally installed bonnet seal. After those were cleaned up, i was water free up top. There were other sources for the lower portion of the frunk. Search my prior posts and frunk water posts if you haven't already.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:57 PM
5hrine
Instructor

I found the inner wing panel had a seam that was letting water in. About half way down . It was running between inner and outer wing finding the non seam sealed join running inside the wing and then along towards the rear of the trunk on the raised section with the brake fluid reservoir attached to in. Then into the back behind the petrol tank. Only found it by accident as it looked sealed. But after the outer wing came off I could see a little gap. Seam seal should cure it hopefully.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:29 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_V
For the leak in that little cubby, these are the places where i found watering coming into the frunk on my car: windshield wiper seals, washer fluid seals, fresh air inlet seals, and a marginally installed bonnet seal. After those were cleaned up, i was water free up top. There were other sources for the lower portion of the frunk. Search my prior posts and frunk water posts if you haven't already.
Im getting ready to tackle a leak feeding the same spot as shown in LPMM's first photo of the frunk.

What part are you referring to when you say "washer fluid seals?"

And if you have it handy, a part number for the windshield wiper seals? There are a number of parts listed on page 534 of the PET but they are mostly referred to as "bush(es/ing)" and I'm curious what exactly you replaced to solve the leak.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: More Water Ingress