Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundproofing advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Key area in my experience is the panel/void below the rear side windows and the two rear wheel arches. The Porsche trim piece below the rear side windows has thick rubber backing precisely to stop excess noise. Try driving without them and you will immediately see the difference.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, I have. It was certainly quieter than my other C4 but nowhere near, say, Cayenne quiet.
Yea well it's a sports car. I don't remember my 964 turbo being too loud but the roads in Atlanta were smooth. I can hardly stand my 968 here in Texas it's unbelievably loud but the roads are rough and crappy.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Keep in mind that an enormous amount of sound is from the convex roof above your head acting like a speaker facing toward your ears. One area most people forget is that if you can dampen your c pillars- you remove a HUGE amount of interior noise. Without adding much weight at all. So if your headliner is out- work on dampening the inside of your c pillars and the tops of your rear quarters toward the back. And the area below the rear window.

If you need a comparison - drive a targa or cab with a g pipe or similarly loud exhaust. The difference is staggering.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Please take this as a serious comment, but have you considered getting a set of earplugs? A lot of musicians I work with have custom made ear plugs that are very comfortable and work incredibly well. It's a cheap alternative to all of the excess work and weight you're considering adding to your car. Even the throwaway ones Ive used when working in nightclubs and music venues are a godsend. I've even ridden my motorcycle with them in from time to time.
+1 and it reduces the sound of Your Wife!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
From my thread: I added 3.1kg in Dynaliner and 13kg in Dynamat. Add in the rubber sheets I added and this is a net PUSH on OE weight I.e. This car is no heavier than the day it was built.

btw i way overused the Dynamat.
My experience is similar to JohnMcM’s. Removed roughly 40lbs. of old carpet and insulation and installed about 15 lbs. of Dynamat Lite and 15 lbs. of MLV plus RS carpet weighing 6 lbs. I actually lost a few pounds and the car is not just quieter, it feels more solid with vibration drastically reduced. I also think the Dynamat was overused, but it really works.

Wearing earplugs while driving is not only dangerous, it’s illegal in states like Massachusetts (you must keep at least one ear free). Listening to these cars while driving is not only part of the thrill, it provides critical feedback from the engine, tires, and brakes.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
GDOG8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove her for 40+ miles today( my longest drive yet) and it was fine without the soundproofing. I’m sure it will be slightly better after the soundproofing...which for me will be perfect.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input. I will take all your suggestions to my interior guy before I get it done in May.

-G

Old 03-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Fwiw- the best ear plugs if you go the custom ear mold route, are etymotic research musicians ear buds. You can buy the standard buds in various amounts of noise reduction , they are acoustically correct, so yu are just lowering the volume. If you go with custom ear molds, they go farther into the ear canal and once at a certain depth, you have the noise reduction without the downside of normal ear plugs where you can here inside your head while you speak. The sound it totally natural, just lower volume.

As said before- it's not safe. But there you go. Use them on the track. (You should always have ear plugs on track anyway, or you end up old and deaf)

Quick Reply: Soundproofing advice?