Sponsored by:

Import Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Import Advice

A friend & his son are looking at a few 964s in London. They will fly out, check out a few & pick one. They want a car that drives on RHS. Would one of you 964 enthusiast who has experience importing a car be willing to PM me with contact info for my friend who is a serious buyer? He is looking for pointers as he has never owned a Porsche let alone one that is 25 years old.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I spend a great deal of time in London, grew up there. I cannot think of one good reason to go buy a 964 there; they have more rust, are all more money than here, you have a HUGE import hassle with DOT and customs, shipping expenses and finally, if based in any of the smog states; an annual rectal inspection to get passed.

They do have nicer colors; the EU dealers are not as myopic, ordering as we do here for the most part, only silver, black, red or white.

But gads, pay for quality here and save yourself a few migraines.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I can’t help you with finding one, but I can recommend Doug Crowther to handle the logistics of the import.

His costs are reasonable and and he handles everything. Gets it picked up in UK, gets it booked on a ship, does the paperwork so it’s not messed up, if you are east coast he will even drive/trailer it to your or arrange shipping from the port to your house. Doing it on your own is idiotic.

http://dividingcreekimports.com/

No affiliation other than I have known him for eons and he helped me import a 110. He mainly does land rovers, but will do pretty much anything 25 years or older. He also used to own a 964 turbo.

Quick Reply: Import Advice